Is ASL Fading Away or Not?

Hmmmmm....another thing I think there may be a revitalization of interest, just like with Braille. Did you know that Braille was very unpopular in Blind ed? Yet, there's been a revitliazzation of its usage in Blind ed, b/c they've found that Braille literate people are more likely to be employed!

Sign language is NOT a 'concept' it is a REAL language thank you very much, also as for the internet 'phenomenon' same goes for Anything, the thing is the
'internet age' as i might say (others more 'offical terms might be information age") ... it doesnt really REALLY allow information flow, it does however, opens up abit but moreso it opens to new ways of trading (information) for $$...and fetishising many curious things/activity about, in the world. I dont believe it preserves, because to REALLY preserve thet language is HAS to be USED daily in ordinary lives (or weekly, whatever float the deaf individuals boat) but it is prefered to be used as the 'norm' not as some 'i can sign' as a 'cool status' which is basically where it lands for Most HEARING people, CODAs might feeling it about different though, as it was their parents language , including 'homesigns' which could be mistaken as 'grassroots culture'...anyway

just because theres internet, dont kid us, its arent 'that' safe...its just a novelty to most internet users, nothing more...

after all, it IS under threat, look at school, how many younger people are most oralised..
it is something to be alarmed about...moreso whats really alarming it the mental and social health of Deaf youth is No different as in the 1960-1970-1980s...it is still Mainstream and mainstream means cutting off signs from linguistic exposure. Whereas on internet, (ok some are good) but it doesnt cut it it doesnt provide REAL exposure. it had to be used in REAL LIFE....always.

Yes, I can see what you are getting at Grummer. Hearing people always make SL out to be a fad and novelty and then it wears off. Yet, if we were to use that 'fascination' and 'phenomenon' to our advantage and truly educate society.....

Maybe, the companies don't want to be near with the ASL users. Then, the ASL will be in the museum somewhere probably at a very small Gallaudet University. We will be a grand-parent to tell our grandchildren if they ask about it at the museum. I dunno. I am just saying. Ok.

It seems that ASL is changing the style because of the evolution. For example, we don't use the word telegram in our era. I have seen some ASL vblogs made sloppy signings - it is almost a slang sign. WHY we still use the spelling some words that do not apply in ASL?? Are we missing something or lazy?

On the other hand, I am POSITIVE that if you went back to the '40's you would see experts claiming that b/c of kid's responses to hearing aids, ASL would be DEAD! The '40's were when hearing aids first became popular (AND You know what? I wonder if the gloom and doom about ASL "dying" as an instruction methodolgy is from experts looking at the private oral schools. You know. " Oh check it out! These kids being served by top of the line oral schools are doing SO WELL. There's no longer a lot of kids being served from K-8. " But they ignore that a lot of kids are still being served by public oral programs, and those kids may not be doing so well.

Everyday there are many deaf children who don't have CI and many deaf foreigners (children/adults) who move here so ASL is not fading away ever.

On the other hand, I am POSITIVE that if you went back to the '40's you would see experts claiming that b/c of kid's responses to hearing aids, ASL would be DEAD! The '40's were when hearing aids first became popular (AND You know what? I wonder if the gloom and doom about ASL "dying" as an instruction methodolgy is from experts looking at the private oral schools. You know. " Oh check it out! These kids being served by top of the line oral schools are doing SO WELL. There's no longer a lot of kids being served from K-8. " But they ignore that a lot of kids are still being served by public oral programs, and those kids may not be doing so well.

i have to break it to you, you always attempt to make observations but everytime you do that, you fail to make a connection with any theoretical base. So, how the hell can you become a sociologist? or anthropologist, or an education theorist. at best, you make more for a 'critical audiologist' BUT without ANY references to any audiological theories!...

This is something you really need to be serious about, if you want to actualise your 'dreams', i can see your passion but its a useless one if you can't produce theories or refer to any, by that you have to actual SHOW what you understand, not what you assume!

What is happening often with your posts (Deafdyke) is you are making a lot of armchair obserivation which really is an amatuer's assummng. This habit you have is getting mistaken for Intellectual observation,in other words, there is no scholarly treatment, and therefore it can not be accounted for. You have to realise this. Go to School and STUDY if you want to do this, otherwise you are just wasting time.

Back