Is alcohol or drug(s) ok to a baby or child?

eternity said:
Yea I know what Steel means by that but baby will resistin from taste it--maybe baby will end up by throwing up?

Thats what they did in old ways Eternity.:roll: it didnt make the baby throw up but did help the pains thats what they believed long time ago.

Tousi said:
E, I think what Steel intended for the whiskey is just to wet a finger in whiskey and rub the baby's gums or teething areas......
That sounds more like it. I know that alcohol is given to kids only when the doctor recommends it. There are also medicines that have something like .01% alcohol in it. That's like putting one drop of Budweiser into a bottle of orange juice. Do you taste it? Nah!

Mouthwash also has 26% alcohol in it. If a kid were to be caught in public school with a bottle of mouthwash, he'd be suspended almost immediately. That's how people see these things. Ugh!

I'm finished with this discussion. PERIOD.

and yes, about the whiskey part, I do mean to dip a fingure in it and then wet it in the baby's mouth to numb the pain when the baby is teething...you think I WANT to kill it with a whole bottle of whiskey?? please, there are various kinds of alcohol...some are good and some bad but you can't use ALL kinds of alcohol on your kids! c'mon! you know better than that! Just use your head! geez... :roll:

anyway, I'm done with this discussion right now. you can continue arguing, but I'm not gonna be invovled in this anyway.

Steel said:
I'm finished with this discussion. PERIOD.

and yes, about the whiskey part, I do mean to dip a fingure in it and then wet it in the baby's mouth to numb the pain when the baby is teething...you think I WANT to kill it with a whole bottle of whiskey?? please, there are various kinds of alcohol...some are good and some bad but you can't use ALL kinds of alcohol on your kids! c'mon! you know better than that! Just use your head! geez... :roll:

anyway, I'm done with this discussion right now. you can continue arguing, but I'm not gonna be invovled in this anyway.
Now you see why I never post here! :thumb:

Oh, dammit! I just posted... argh!

That makes Three... Did I just posted in here? Darn it *slap myself*.. Bye!

giving harmful substances isn't wise even if it was intended for good purposes to toddlers during their developing years.... their brains are still rapidly developing and it will do more harm in the long term perspective-

6. Whiskey

The thinking:
In addition to its inebriating effects, some people believe whiskey can help relieve tooth or gum pain.

"I suspect people think whiskey is something of an analgesic," says David A. Russell, DMD, associate dean at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine.

While adults could use their tooth pain as an opportunity to imbibe, people have also been known to use it on teething babies.

"When babies' teeth were coming through, I remember people recommending putting whiskey on your finger and then rubbing it on a baby's gums," says Russell.

What it actually does: "If the pain is in the tooth, and it's a nerve that is inflamed, there is no way whiskey will do anything," says Russell. "And, if it's gum pain, maybe there's some soothing effect of the actual alcohol against the gum tissue, but that's it. At the very best, this whiskey business just made people feel better if they used enough of it."

What to do instead: "Pain, especially in the tooth or gums, is a sign of some harmful process going on," says Russell. "The most immediate thing you should do is call your dentist."

Russell explains aspirin is another home remedy for tooth pain that doesn't work.

"Another myth is to put an aspirin tablet on the tooth or gum," says Russell. "This is dangerous because aspirin is very acidic -- you can actually see the round imprint of the tablet burned into the gum where the person put the aspirin tablet."

Aspirin should never be given to children or infants because it is associated with Reye's syndrome. To soothe teething pain, parents can give infant-formula ibuprofen or acetaminophen, rub their gums, and provide safe items for them to chew.

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/84/98137.htm

I would never do something I don't know about on a baby! It could be more harmful than beneficial, and I refuse to take that risk.

Back