Irish law is crazy!

We hear a lot about this particular thing in England, it's too stupid and wrong!

This is probably why most English have lots of locks on their doors and keep their house locked even when they are home. They know they'll likely damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can only try to keep the intruders out of their house altogether.

This is probably why most English have lots of locks on their doors and keep their house locked even when they are home. They know they'll likely damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can only try to keep the intruders out of their house altogether.

I did not know that.

My home has only 2 locks that can be kicked open. but why bother if there's a much easier way to get in like... thru window

that crazy!!

in european have different locks i didnt know about that and in usa not same europe locks..

that crazy!!

in european have different locks i didnt know about that and in usa not same europe locks..

yea in europe - they use key like this

Key_Charm.jpg

aka 'skeleton key' here in the states.

We used to use skeleton key, My grandma's house which was build in the 1800's still have skeleton key to some doors around the house.

But it is too easy to pick and break into so they try to make it harder for people lock pick.

I will NOT be surprise that burglary will sky-rocket. It does NOT work, that is for sure that I know. Why will it sky-rocket, simple put, these burglars knew they are protected so WTF? "go ahead rob somebody because they wont shoot me back" That is exact what burglars would say.

If owner retains the right to own arm and protect and is permitted to do so, I can bet crimes will dive. That is because these criminals were uncertain whether the property owners has guns or not and usually don't want to risk.

So, it is just about opportunity for criminals... this law is not going to work!

I'd be interested to know what the legal position is in other countries regarding this subject?

Here [ Ireland ] you are obliged to retreat if you are faced with an intruder in your home! If you do him any harm you will be charged with assault!
You have to wait for him to attack you before you can claim self-defence.

Also, what about this... You are not at home. A burglar breaks into your home. While ransacking your house he trips over something and injures himself. maybe it was a loose floorboard or your toolbox that you forgot to store away. He can now sue you!!

Is this the case in other countries??

I did once shoot a peeping tom. (I do live in Texas)

I'd be interested to know what the legal position is in other countries regarding this subject?

Here [ Ireland ] you are obliged to retreat if you are faced with an intruder in your home! If you do him any harm you will be charged with assault!
You have to wait for him to attack you before you can claim self-defence.

Also, what about this... You are not at home. A burglar breaks into your home. While ransacking your house he trips over something and injures himself. maybe it was a loose floorboard or your toolbox that you forgot to store away. He can now sue you!!

Is this the case in other countries??
In the United States our Constitution's Second Amendment protects our citizens' right to bear arms for protection of property and people.

Each state in the USA has different laws covering the rights of homeowners. In my state of South Carolina, we have a "castle" law that protects homeowners. That is, our state legislature believes in the philosophy that "a man's home is his castle", and that he has the right to defend his "castle" from intruders.

In California there is only one law -- Thou shalt never at any time or for any reason defend thyself or thy loved ones from any villain, vandal, rapist, or murderer -- or you will face the wrath of the "people of California vs. yourself."

In California there is only one law -- Thou shalt never at any time or for any reason defend thyself or thy loved ones from any villain, vandal, rapist, or murderer -- or you will face the wrath of the "people of California vs. yourself."

I would be glad to go to jail if it what it take to protect my children.

There is a home near my city and an intruder killed the parents just to get their daughter... and later kill the daughter. it was a sad story (and a national story too)

In the United States our Constitution's Second Amendment protects our citizens' right to bear arms for protection of property and people.

Each state in the USA has different laws covering the rights of homeowners. In my state of South Carolina, we have a "castle" law that protects homeowners. That is, our state legislature believes in the philosophy that "a man's home is his castle", and that he has the right to defend his "castle" from intruders.

We are trying to bring in that law here. The goverment are debating it at the moment. There has been a national outcry after several murders over the last 3 years. Mostly old people living alone have been the victims.

There is a home near my city and an intruder killed the parents just to get their daughter... and later kill the daughter. it was a sad story (and a national story too)

Thats awful. I agree with you. With my wife/kids asleep upstairs I would kill an intruder without giving it a second thought. If he gets by me, who will protect my family. I'm not going to wait and see if he has a hidden gun or knife. Kill him and damn the consequences.

This may be true. And if it happened and you did it on the spur of the moment your charges and subsequent sentence might be somewhat lighter; however if this were to ever happen and your post here were to be introduced into court it would indicate that you had premeditated committing a crime in just such a circumstance; thus making any legal problems that much more difficult.

This may be true. And if it happened and you did it on the spur of the moment your charges and subsequent sentence might be somewhat lighter; however if this were to ever happen and your post here were to be introduced into court it would indicate that you had premeditated committing a crime in just such a circumstance; thus making any legal problems that much more difficult.

no jury is going to convict her :)

It's a good thing we have a court so we can speak out our side of the story. Otherwise the gov't would just treat me as any killers and ignore the reasons why I did it. (which is why the hate crime bill is a good idea... It is not right to ignore the reason why a person was killed or hurt and yet, they pay attention to if killing was done out of rage or planned to determine the length of sentence)

Back