iPod Touch and Phonak iCom

DickS

Reaction score
I am listening to iTunes from my iPod touch (2G) with new 3.0 software- on my Phonak Versata hearing aids - in Stereo - with no wires. The iCom (neck loop) has a bluetooth link between my iPod touch and my Versata hearing aids.

Cool. This is my first day with my new Versata aids (or any aids) - and my music has high frequencies today.

The only thing left is to find is a volume control on the iPod touch while I am connected to the iCom - it is gone on the Ipod when connected to the iCom.

Yea, I use nadias with iCom and find it annoying that I loose iPhone volume control with the 3.0 upgrade, yea the sound it better, but I miss controlling the volume on the phone itself.

Also wish the iCom had a better battery :)

Yea, I use nadias with iCom and find it annoying that I loose iPhone volume control with the 3.0 upgrade, yea the sound it better, but I miss controlling the volume on the phone itself.

Also wish the iCom had a better battery :)

Yes- on both counts.

The iCom is great - and Apple needs to make the volume control visible on my iPod touch when linked by bluetooth - it is a problem for many earphone users as well.

And - the iCom makes my life so much better in my studio. The studio phone rolls over to my cell phone - and before I got my Versatas last week, I struggled to hear customers on the cell phone. Now, I can have conversations in a noisy environment.

But - the iCom does not work as long as I do - it runs out of battery long before an 8-hour day is done - let alone my 10 hour days.

I thought about leaving it plugged into the charger - on my desk. I'll give it a try to see if it can do bluetooth while charging.

I'm a new user of this forum and have set of Naida arriving in about 5 weeks. I am very excited about using the iCom. I am shoping around to find a "good deal" on one, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am an old hand at wearing hearing aids, however new to the 21st century technology (according to my kids) I wear Phonak Naida SP aids, have the iCom linked to a cell which allowed me cellphone use for the first time in years..Wonderful! Now Santa brought me an iPod Touch with version 3.1.2 software. I have a question: can anyone tell me how to change volume? I do not hear enough to be able to tell if the button on the iPod does anything and I cannot ask my kids because they cannot hear the iCom. To be able to hear the music now I have to be in a very quiet area and that brings tears to my eyes: to hear music again as I have not in so many years! But if there is a possibility to raise the volume I may be able to use this set-up in "normal" surroundings.

I am an old hand at wearing hearing aids, however new to the 21st century technology (according to my kids) I wear Phonak Naida SP aids, have the iCom linked to a cell which allowed me cellphone use for the first time in years..Wonderful! Now Santa brought me an iPod Touch with version 3.1.2 software. I have a question: can anyone tell me how to change volume? I do not hear enough to be able to tell if the button on the iPod does anything and I cannot ask my kids because they cannot hear the iCom. To be able to hear the music now I have to be in a very quiet area and that brings tears to my eyes: to hear music again as I have not in so many years! But if there is a possibility to raise the volume I may be able to use this set-up in "normal" surroundings.

My experience with my iCom and my iPod touch is the opposite: The music is too loud, but there is no volume control on the iPod when linked via Bluetooth to the iCom.

How did you link the iPod touch to your iCom? Did you pair it with bluetooth - using "Settings-General-Bluetooth" on the iPod screen - Or, did you simply use the little cable that comes with the iCom to plug between the iCom and the iPod touch?

I paired the new iPod with the iCom using bluetooth. I do not have the wire to connect the two with me (am visiting for the holidays) but may try that next week sometime. The primary reason for getting this particular iPod Touch model was its bluetooth capability. I am now experimenting with the various EQ settings on the iPod to see if one produces louder sound. Plus I will email Apple to ask why its volume has such limited range (as far as I can hear). Also an email to Phonak is on its way to ask advice.
I have connected an old iPod Touch Generation 2 by cable some time back, but the problem with that setup was that the iPod also needed to be plugged in because its battery was dead so I was very limited in my movement.

By the way: Happy Holidays

Last edited:
volume controle and iCom-iPod connection

I have contacted Phonak for assistance regarding my inability to have volume control while my new iPod Touch is paired with the iCom using bluetooth. Below is their answer, which came within days even during this holiday season. I am waiting for Apple's response to the same question and will post it when received.

Direct quote:

Thank you for visiting the Phonak website and for your inquiry. This is a function of the iPhone. We have heard and verified here with our iPhone users that the volume control on the phone is not active when it is streaming music. This is a function of the iPhone and not the iCom. We suggest that you contact iPhone Technical Support for a resolution.

Thank you,

Carol Stephan
Phonak-US Consumer Desk
carol.stephan@phonak.com
Phonak LLC
Home | Phonak - life is on

can't help with the bluetooth connection, but if you do it through a cord it'll work fine (i think anyway, works fine when use my smartlink, which is a similar concept)
*EQL*

icom and volume control

Hello,
I don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore but I thought I'd post some information in case it helps anyone.

I have been using the iCom with a ZoomLink and an iTouch (the iCom also has the FM receiver plugged into it to work with the Zoomlink). I found I couldn't hear the sound from the from the icom well when my Nadia mics were also on as there was just too much noise. The audiologist attenuated the mics when the iCom was connected ( a simple programming setting) and now it is very clear. If I know someone needs to speak to me when the ZoomLink mic can't pick it up, or they come up to me when I am listening to the bluetooth, I just push the button on the iCom and my Naidia mics kick back in.

For volume, I use the HA volume control: either the rocker switch or the remote.

It has been an incredible Blessing to hear music again!

I have found it best to use my iPod touch with my iCom by using the wire connection. Then the volume control on the touch is active.

I love my Phonak Versatas, and my Phonak iCom, and my iPod touch. Life is good - and so is the music!

Dick

Hi, I am new to this blog; I found it because I was searching for a solution to problems I was having with my phonak icom and playing music on my iphone.

My icom paired okay with the iphone using bluetooth and I could use the phone without problems. However when I tried to play music using ipod on the iphone the sound quality was dreadfully distorted. I searched several blogs and found various workarounds, but none seem to solve my problem.

Finally, I tried turning off the bluetooth service on my iphone and turning it back on again and re-pairing the icom with the iphone. Now everything works fine! I have excellent music quality with volume control intact. I also tested the phone by dialling my work number and leaving a message on my voicemail. Ipod automatically faded out the music when the call connected and faded back in again when the phone call completed.

I am now a happy camper. I thought this information might be useful because I found many people expressing similar frustrations across several blogs.

It is possible that I might have to re-pair the units when I change to my TVlink and so on - but the bluetooth pairing process on the phone is fairly quick and I would regard this as a minor inconvenience.

As a 51 year old man with a lifelong bilateral moderate-severe hearing impairment I am absolutely rapt to be able to use both the phone and music wirelessly with my hearing aids.

Cheers,

Kglawyer

I'm trialing an iCom, and I haven't been too impressed with it so far. I still prefer using the MusicLink earhook/telecoil for music/ipod touch/etc.

I am listening to iTunes from my iPod touch (2G) with new 3.0 software- on my Phonak Versata hearing aids - in Stereo - with no wires. The iCom (neck loop) has a bluetooth link between my iPod touch and my Versata hearing aids.

Cool. This is my first day with my new Versata aids (or any aids) - and my music has high frequencies today.

The only thing left is to find is a volume control on the iPod touch while I am connected to the iCom - it is gone on the Ipod when connected to the iCom.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK - I have the newest version of the Mac iPod software (iTunes 10) - and the latest version (v.4) of the iPod touch - and ..... (drum roll ....)

I have a VOLUME CONTROL on my iPod touch now. Great!

I am listening to music in stero on my Phonak aids - and when my cell phone rings - I answer the call and the music goes away. When the phone calls ends my music comes back.

This is great - and I love the iCom system - totally !!!!!!

Well, I have the icom and a 3gs iphone that I have upgraded to os 4.0. The volume of the ipod is not adjustable but the volume of the phone calls are. I would like a little more volume on the music but really I can live with it. Is there any upgrade to make the battery life better of the icom? or is there anything that I can do to make the wire that goes around you neck (antenna) more substanstial? Its to wimpy for my line of work.

Back