IP relay problems/suggestions?

50x7_Z

Reaction score
Pardon me for not posting this in the wrong place if it is. I couldn't the proper subforum for this topic.

I always have this problems with IP relay since i started having sidekick 3. Man it's soo much useful at ordering pizza and those simple stuff. I use the sidekick 3 to call my hearing friends without the need of IP relay, i am ok on listening on phone sometime but only for minute or so. I don't really carry a conversation on the phone.

In fact, i barely use the phone, not even the text messages.

my problems is based mostly on IP relay. Everytime i make a really important call, they have to explain it to the hearing person as usual, the hearing person hangs it up before i could talk. I have to redial it and get it to them at some point.

How can i tell the IP relay operator not to explain this to person, since it would give the hearing person a different reaction or something.

Can't the RO simply relays the information without explaining??

Sometime the hearing person thinks that it is a salesperson calling or simply say "no thanks" and hangs up!

really pisses me off when i need to make important phone calls.

is there any RO on this forum? Can i get some suggestion or some tips on how to handle IP relay? I am so new on using this. I only know how to make a call and hang up. I am sure there is much more of an advantage to this.

thanx for the suggestions/tips.

/end rant :rl::pissed:

My only suggestion is to use VRS (Video Relay Service). Even IF the IP relay operator didn't announce, it is STILL too easy for hearing people to figure out your using IP relay! Alot easier than you think.,.. How? SLOW typing conversation. It takes about 15 seconds to type one sentence verses 1-2 seconds when using voice to voice. 15 seconds is too long for most hearing people. So, there is no other way around except using VRS.

How do I know? Many times I got thanks from hearing people for using VRS than TRS, IPrelay, etc. I asked them why? They all said the same thing... This IP relay is way way way too slow, too stupid, too irriating, etc. So I understand how they feel.

I have same problem with Relay service. They wait after I finish type. My hearing friends or my husband have to wait for oper tell them what I say. They type during they were speaking. They wont speak during I type. That why I don't like Relay service. I have no choice to have to use them because i have important calls.

I am a relay operator and well I find it easier not to use "go aheads", "ga" and simply use "relaxed" relay. I think it personally makes the caller more comfortable with this all together. Honestly, if I wasn't an operator I know I wouldn't accept one of these calls, cause it does sound like I'm trying to sell something. Tell the relay providers to change there scripts, so right away we announce 'this is for deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled" not, "You are receiving a call from a person who is using a computer" to me that SCREAMS! 2 things, "MONEY" "SCAM" and as a hearing person, I know I would do that.

I've tried changing the script where I work and was repremanded. I honestly think that either, the scripts need to be changed or relay needs to be changed all together and people need to register and have it proven that they are deaf. We have to do that has hearing people, and if deaf people want same as us, than registering should be an option after all you don't really pay for it so.

I am a relay operator and well I find it easier not to use "go aheads", "ga" and simply use "relaxed" relay. I think it personally makes the caller more comfortable with this all together. Honestly, if I wasn't an operator I know I wouldn't accept one of these calls, cause it does sound like I'm trying to sell something. Tell the relay providers to change there scripts, so right away we announce 'this is for deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled" not, "You are receiving a call from a person who is using a computer" to me that SCREAMS! 2 things, "MONEY" "SCAM" and as a hearing person, I know I would do that.

I've tried changing the script where I work and was repremanded. I honestly think that either, the scripts need to be changed or relay needs to be changed all together and people need to register and have it proven that they are deaf. We have to do that has hearing people, and if deaf people want same as us, than registering should be an option after all you don't really pay for it so.

You said you tried to change the script and got in trouble for it. Can we request that you change what you say each time we start, if so, will you still get in trouble?

for example

if we say in beginning of the call " do not annouce in normal way but to say that "name" is calling and is deaf and would like to disscuss buying this or whatever it is we might need at the moment?"

I have same problem with Relay service. They wait after I finish type. My hearing friends or my husband have to wait for oper tell them what I say. They type during they were speaking. They wont speak during I type. That why I don't like Relay service. I have no choice to have to use them because i have important calls.

If you are on a Sidekick, if you're not already doing this, try pressing enter after 2 or 3 words (no GA at this point). The operator will be able to see your text in small pieces and relay it when there is a complete phrase.

The RO's greeting is "hello, this is IP Relay, RO ***** with a call, do you know how to use relay?". That is the greeting. The explanation of relay is different, that's the paragraph long explanation.

After being connected to your RO, but before you dial out, tell them "announce relay as: ...", and you can tell them something to say in your own words.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is be nice to the RO. If you try to make their job easy, they will try helping you. I would tell them to say a very simple greeting like "Hello, I am deaf and using an interpreter. It may take a few moments for me to respond, and in that time the operator can not talk, please be patient while I am typing. Thank you".

If you are using an instant messenger service on your sidekick, the RO can not see what is being typed until it is entered. As suggested, you may try entering text often, but keep in mind when you do that, the other person will probably try talking, and be told to wait by the RO, if using the GA. Even when using "relaxed relay" without the GA, the RO is still supposed to prompt the person to wait, if you are in the middle of a thought.

I think relaxed relay is a good idea, but if you are calling someone who has no idea what is going on, it makes things much easier if they just wait for the GA to avoid confusion of overlapping thoughts.

It is also possible to ask the RO to be connected to customer service(if you aren't on a call), and customer service can add the "custom greeting" to your profile. However, this might only be available with your state relay service(711) since a phone number is easy to recognize, and your computer's IP address is not. However, perhaps it can recognize your screen name by now, I haven't been keeping up with the technology.

And remember, even if the RO is perfect, they are being employed to follow certain scripts. Sometimes they explain relay, the person has no idea what is going on, and even says they DO know how to use relay when they don't. If you want your call to go smoothly, try working with the other person's ignorance. Also remember that a lot of time when ordering things like pizza, they are busy typing the dumb recording with the specials, and maybe they are playing the recording to type it out, and aren't listening on the line for a person to answer. Pizza guys don't have patience, they'll hang up very fast. It's not the RO's fault if the pizza guy hung up within 2 seconds. Even though the RO can't navigate recordings to get to the place you want, you can tell them to not type recordings, and just wait for a live person, or just type the available options. Despite sitting at a console and typing, being a relay operator is extremely stressful for some people and is quite annoying. Phones are designed for hearing people, so there is always going to be problems in the "translation" of the two mediums.

Hang Ups

Tell the opr do not explain relay and most services let u create a profile so in ur profile u can set it to do not explain relay, which is the most easiest so just call cust. service and they can set it up for u or log on. Sometimes even when u explain relay to some people and tell them that a deaf, or hard of hearing person is calling they person will still say something like, "well tell them to have someone who can speak to call" and it is frustrating i know, but we also have rules in relay that we as operators must abide by and if we dont we do get in trouble, if a quality assurance rep is listening to make sure we relay calls accurate and we do something like not explain relay we get wrote up and sometimes can be fired, it is also up to the caller to tell us what to do and when u guys do we love it!

Tell the opr do not explain relay and most services let u create a profile so in ur profile u can set it to do not explain relay, which is the most easiest so just call cust. service and they can set it up for u or log on. Sometimes even when u explain relay to some people and tell them that a deaf, or hard of hearing person is calling they person will still say something like, "well tell them to have someone who can speak to call" and it is frustrating i know, but we also have rules in relay that we as operators must abide by and if we dont we do get in trouble, if a quality assurance rep is listening to make sure we relay calls accurate and we do something like not explain relay we get wrote up and sometimes can be fired, it is also up to the caller to tell us what to do and when u guys do we love it!
I have a friend who went through an extremely frustrating relay call all day.

There was a problem with an order that he made online and needed to call that company to clear things up. He called relay and the company explained that they don't trust calls like that. Since my friend was a guy and the operator was a woman, they felt it was a fraud call. So, my friend requested a male operator. Again, the call was rejected because it was a relay operator and not an actual person.

Finally, my friend convinced the relay operator to not use GA or SK... or to introduce himself as a relay operator. Simply talk on the phone as if he was actually my friend. Whenever the company's statement ended, the operator would type in 'GA'. Whenever my friend typed in 'GA', the operator would simply stop talking as if he was making an actual phone call. If any interruptions occurred, let the interruptions happen. Finally, the company followed through with the call and my friend's order issue was dealt with.

I have had this thought in my mind for some time. I was wondering, for these hearing people, who has been a AD'er here, do you ever have a Relayed call via the phone -- Do you have any chance hearing these keyboard typing noises as the hearing person speaks, no?

The sound should be like *keyboard clacking noises* Something like that, you know?

Just remember different relay companies have different rules, so its up to the person using relay whether or not they want to use ga or not if they use it then the person they are calling has to use it with our service, if u say dont explain relay we wont, but sometimes these companies dont want to take the relay call because of the scam calls we have to make to them and then they dont trust relay anymore but it is against the law anyway for them to deny the call to anyone because of being h.o.h, they can be reported, even sometimes when relay has been explained and the person says ok lets begin now i understand they will still hang up they make me sick when they do that, but all these rules were created because of what some deaf users wanted to begin with!Hopefully the service will get better and now with vrs and new technology.

It would have been nice if I was told all that stuff 5 years ago when I gave up on ip-relay and sidekickII. Dang!

What I did before with IP relay, I use notepad and I start preping up what I'm planning to say to the person, like for example if I want to order pizza and I know typical method of what the person going to ask, in notepad, I typed:

I would like to order pizza, delivery please

399-340-4444

1233 GoodHope Rd, City, State

I would like to have large pizza, thin crust, meat lover
2nd pizza, medium, hand toss, pineapple and sausage

I like to put it on credit card

4435-3412-4325-6554 exp: 4/10

then when I call relay operator, I start using "Cut and Paste" from notepad to AIM. It's the fastest way to respond and RO doesn't have to wait for me to complete typing the message of what i'm going to say.
Now not all will work depending on what type of cell phone you have that can support multitasking cuz if you switch the screen from AIM to Notepad, it may disconnect IP relay.

First line, pizza person will ask "pickup or delivery" so I paste the first message then wait, then he will ask for phone number, then I paste the second line, then he will ask to verify the address, so I paste the 3rd line and so forth.. that is the easiest way cuz pasting is split second and hit enter key.

just my suggestion.

Back