IP Relay+job application

CrunchyCheetos

Reaction score
I recently left my job for several reasons, now I have to look for a new one. I really, really want to use the IP relay phone number, so that I can personally read their voice messages, and I don't like my family hearing my messages on the answering machine.

My biggest concern using the IP relay number is that once they call, they will think WTF and not call me to offer me an interview.

Should I be concerned using IP relay phone number?

You should be concerned only as much as you normally would when placing a relay call. I will admit the My IP Relay Number is a hard concept for me to swallow, and I can imagine an employer getting confused by it. But when leaving messages the best thing you can do is explain what the service is, that you are deaf and this is the only way you can communicate over the telephone. If possible at all, rely on email, or go to the place in person.

Yes, I try to rely using e-mail if at all possible. The thing is that I am looking for just a job which normally do not require a resume. I also have a resume just in case, and I am reluctant to use the phone number.

I hate it, I thought I had freedom at last when I first signed up, but its downsides.

I sometimes think that I am going to have to be responsible to call them back or let the non-ignorant drop me a message, you know?

I suggest you to use voice telephone number and have your sliding or parents to take the call for you. That's how I get job easy.

My first choice is using through via e-mail, otherwise I tell them to leave message on my cell phone (sidekick). My sidekick will alert me when I get new message then I check my voicemail through ip-relay or VRS then contact back whoever call me!

nozobo said:
My first choice is using through via e-mail, otherwise I tell them to leave message on my cell phone (sidekick). My sidekick will alert me when I get new message then I check my voicemail through ip-relay or VRS then contact back whoever call me!
oh interesting.. good idea..

That might be a good idea with the cell phone, but I don't have any technologies like that. My mother was thinking of getting a family plan cell phones for each of us, but she has not done anything about it. I might push her though. Could you tell me a bit about the sidekick? I don't know anything about that or even the blackberry. Are those cell phones or what? I would like to have a good technology handy for emergencies, telephone calls, etc. that isn't so costly and good to start with.

I crave my independence. I do not like much that they hear of my jobs I apply for because they are nosy and ask me more about it and other things that are my business. Know what I mean? I just like my privacy.

How did you get your cell phone or read about each one? I don't know of the many that we have out there.

Thanks for your help.

You can get a Krown PocketComm TTY/VCO for $ 199.95. Basically, It's a "Type and Read" TTY or a "Speak and Read" VCO on the move. You can use it to connect to cell phones that are TTY compatiable. I'm just learning about this myself, so if you do get it, let me know how it is. :wiggle:

I myself use the sidekick 2, and its handy for everything. You can get e-mails, go on the internet, aol and yahoo messenger, get and send texts, take pictures (not bad quality either, every hearing person I know comments on its quality) and e-mail it on the move. I can't understand what the other person is saying on the phone however, so I use texting on my sidekick for when I'm mobile, and CapTel telephones which types down everything the person is saying to you live, and you can talk back.

There is also the 2 way CapTel telephone, which is where they install a second telephone line and in use with the CapTel you have, anybody who calls immediately can be captioned on the telephone and you can answer. (The 1 way CapTel requires callers to call the company first then you. Which can be a bit off putting for potential employers unfortunately.)

You can find out more about sidekick 2 on the t-mobile website. It is a cellphone that does everything. Since its up to your mum, I would probably push for the sidekick most of all. Right now, its a very trendy thing to have (popularized by Paris Hilton and most celebs right now). It would definitely help you gain your indepedence, and every person you will meet will pretty much be able to text you on your sidekick. Its questionable though whether you will be able to carry on an interview with a potential employer if you use phones solely for text messaging. Otherwise, if you can use it to actually communicate and know what the other person is saying, then props. Go for it.

I hope this and the other info helps. Good luck. :thumb:

Back