Iowa School for Deaf getting new Science Center

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
COUNCIL BLUFF, Iowa -- Iowa School for the Deaf has announced plans for a new science center.

Officials of the Council Bluff school serving school-aged students from Iowa and Nebraska said a $1.5 million fundraising campaign has been launched for the science center. They said more than $1 million is already pledged and donated for the center.

According to officials, the science center will be designed to better prepare students to compete with their hearing peers in science careers.

The center will be built in an area of the school which formerly housed a swimming pool. Middle school and high school science students will share the facility.

Officials said they hope to have the center ready for students in the fall of 2010.

Iowa School For Deaf Getting Science Center - Education News Story - KCCI Des Moines

Wow, that is cool that the Deaf school is getting the science centre. Now I am wondering what the Middle and High School students will learn in 2010. Chemistry and biology, maybe. Probably study Planets, Stars, and other strange lifeform species like dinosaurs. :scratch: Thank you for sharing this news about Iowa School for the Deaf. :cool2:

I wonder what is it that makes Iowans want to improve their school for the Deaf while other states closed down their school for the Deaf. That is real good for the Iowa school.

I wonder what is it that makes Iowans want to improve their school for the Deaf while other states closed down their school for the Deaf. That is real good for the Iowa school.

I have a theory. Don't know how many would agree, though, but it does have some support in sociological and psychological literature.

Iowa is a relatively rural state. People in rural areas are more collectivistic in their thinking and action. They show concern and support during hardships that their neighbors and friends experience more readily than do the city populations. People in heavily populated, urban areas tend to be more individualistic in their thinking, and not as willing to sacrifice even time, let alone money, to see that another is given a hand up.

Of course, that isn't true of ALL individuals in urban areas, nor of ALL individuals in rural areas. But it is a trend, and not only has it been studied, I have seen it at work in real life.

I have a theory. Don't know how many would agree, though, but it does have some support in sociological and psychological literature.

Iowa is a relatively rural state. People in rural areas are more collectivistic in their thinking and action. They show concern and support during hardships that their neighbors and friends experience more readily than do the city populations. People in heavily populated, urban areas tend to be more individualistic in their thinking, and not as willing to sacrifice even time, let alone money, to see that another is given a hand up.

Of course, that isn't true of ALL individuals in urban areas, nor of ALL individuals in rural areas. But it is a trend, and not only has it been studied, I have seen it at work in real life.

I like your thinking. It is possible that small group that can see each other and get to know each other better then they would be willing to make difference in their group then it will grow bigger and the better than the large group more likely fall apart and put an end on it.

I wonder the same thing. I heard that The Learning Center for the Deaf here in Framingham, MA plans to expand pre-kindergarten, kindergarten classrooms, space dedicated to occupational and physical therapy, parent-infant rooms, and a library. I think it's because of large amount deaf little kids. I don't know. :shrug:

That's great news, especially in light of residental schools closing in other states.

MA plans to expand pre-kindergarten, kindergarten classrooms, space dedicated to occupational and physical therapy, parent-infant rooms, and a library. I think it's because of large amount deaf little kids
Oh really? Have they seen an increase in dhh kids? That's good news since the trend is towards mainstreaming......

Mainstreaming

kinda like parents being told that they should start teaching oral instead of ASL, SEE and etc.

They really shouldn't start mainstreaming Deaf students. I had a hard enough time trying to make it to graduate.

I am glad that the Deaf School is adding on the science center. Kinda brings more to the table and who knows?

Some of the students may wind up being an engineer!

The Iowa School for the Deaf gets a LOT of support from all Deaf - whether they attended ISD or were mainstreamed. During Iowa School for the Deaf's Homecoming, the school is overrun with hundreds of alumni. (Don't know if this is true for other Deaf schools.) Also, a good friend of mine who went to Iowa School for the Deaf said her class had a class reunion every year and it's turnout was usually 100% every year.

It also doesn't hurt that Senator Tom Harkin had a brother who was a graduate from Iowa School for the Deaf. As you may remember, it was Senator Tom Harkin who introduced the ADA into Congress.

I have seen a trend where Deaf students will start school being mainstreamed and eventually they transfer to the Iowa School for the Deaf. Also, Iowa School for the Deaf has summer programs which attract many mainstreaned students.

I believe the Iowa School for the Deaf is a source of pride for all Iowans, not just for Deaf Iowans.

And don't forget deaf Nebraskans, too. Botti, have you ever seen the Iowa school? Are you near there?

And don't forget deaf Nebraskans, too. Botti, have you ever seen the Iowa school? Are you near there?

Yes I have seen it. No I am not close. But an alumni of the school taught me to steal car batteries. :lol:

It's a great school, he was just a misfit in the same group home situation as myself.

And I have never stolen a car battery.,,

Back