Introductory Post

bexhet

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this website while researching Deaf culture. I am a hearing person. I was a little intimidated at first about posting, (still am, actually) but after a little browsing, I've noticed a few other hearing persons have joined this community. Over the past few months, I have developed an immense respect and fascination for D/deaf and hard of hearing people. I hope that by joining these forums I am showing admiration for another culture, rather than poking my nose where it doesn't belong.

A little bit about myself:
I'm a student of Northern Michigan University, on the verge of completing my Junior year. I have just finished a 12-week introductory course in American Sign Language. In addition to learning a fairly small ASL vocabulary (I can sign my name, ask a person how he/she is doing, and inform you that 12 years ago, my grandmother pooped her pants) I learned a good deal about Deaf history and culture.

Other than that, I haven't had any significant exposure to the Deaf world. I hope I'm not coming across as just another liberal college yuppie that, after learning a thing or two about another culture, must immediately invade that culture in a patronizing attempt to become more arrogant. I'm sincerely curious about numerous aspects of Deaf life, and I hope that in time, I will make new friends, understand different points of view, and become more comfortable in the Deaf community.

HI ya! i know how intimidating it can be! I worked as a co-op student in an assited living home for deaf seniors, it was the first time i had ever signed with the deaf after having a long love of asl. But most people are very patient and understanding and its an amazing culture to be apart of :)

:welcome: to alldeaf and surely hope you are feeling warm welcoming here and you can do it, take your time and you will do fine. smile

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Hmm...I s'pose I have 'poked' my nose in the hearing culture.....sooo, please do feel at ease while in AD and hope you'll enjoy your stay as well! ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

Hi :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :) ....

Back