Introducing deafguy2013

deafguy2013

Reaction score
Hello, I'm deafguy2013. As you have guessed, I'm a male that was born deaf. I wear a hearing aid in my left ear and my right ear is totally deaf. I have maybe 20% hearing in my left ear and I have worn a hearing aid ever since I was two I think. I'm very good at reading lips and thanks to speech therapy all through grade school, most people don't realize I am deaf until they see the hearing aid or I tell them. However, since I rely on reading lips it's very hard for me to have a conversation with someone with my back turned to them but talking on the phone is no problem at all. Back in grade school I knew sign language but as I got older and my speech improved I stopped using it. To this day I don't remember any sign language at all.

As I mentioned before, I was born deaf. To this day I don't really know why I was born that way. I never really asked my parents as to what happened. Did something not form right inside my ears when I was born or maybe I had an ear infection when I was a baby. I'm in my mid-30's now so the answer to that question no longer matters to me. I am the way I am.

I work in a field that very loud equipment, sometimes all day long. I have always been very conscientious about wearing hearing protection and turning my hearing aid off at those times. All through my life my hearing tests have never changed so whatever happened to me seems to have happened once and my hearing has not dropped since I was very little. I consider myself very lucky in that regard.

I accidentally found this place when I was trying to find out why the subtitles for Season 6 of Dexter were not working on my ps3, 360, or pc and the google search showed a thread from this site. For some reason I felt compelled to sign up and share my story.

Same story here, I'm in my 30s born deaf but talk and read lips. As for my work environment I'm a programmer and it's pretty quiet!

I don't care much for introductions because most disappear within a few weeks but feel free to comment on the million threads we got here.

If you want to have some fun killing time, play the name the film here: http://www.alldeaf.com/movies-books-tv-media/114434-name-film-picture-game-32.html#post2252043

And here's a funny and epic thread on annoying hearing people stories: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

Later

10 points for AllDeaf's SEO! Haha

I never got sucked into Dexter. The Walking Dead and AHS is a different story though :)

I'm late deafened bilaterally. Was going to get a CI but my ENT is disorganized and horrible so that's being put off for fear of being put under for CI and waking up without my tonsils. Two HA here. I'm a self-employed photographer and I'm always muting the HA for crying babies :)

Welcome welcome!

Thank you for the welcomes. I have never been part of a deaf community before, in person or online. Truth be told I never looked for one. I cannot recall ever having a deaf friend before either, though I know several older folk that use hearing aids.

I signed up on here on a whim to be honest and now I hate my username. Being deaf doesn't define me or anyone else.

I was lucky to have been born in Michigan. In Mount Pleasant, there is Central Michigan University, which apparently is a world renowned place for Audiology. That is where my parents took me for all of my hearing needs as a child. Where I live now, I am lucky to have found an excellent place that is run by a CMU graduate.

I think I will continue to be a member here. As all of you know, it's impossible for people with no hearing problems to understand what life is like for us day in and day out, same with us and blind people. It feels good to communicate with people like me.

Only you guys know what it's like when a hearing aid gets wet and shorts out, or when a battery dies and you find out that you have no more so you have to drive and get some, all without hearing a thing. I've been there.

I was once asked what it was like when I did not have my hearing aid in. A simple answer would be complete silence but it's more than that. You understand what I mean?

I am profoundly deaf (never wore HA) and a native ASLer.

BTW, welcome to AD and hope you will enjoy it.

If you need to know more about CC/subtitles, we have it here. You can look it up in any of five categories, Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter - Deaf Products & Technologies - Movies, Books, TV & Media - Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming - American with Disabilities Act.

Thank you for the welcomes. I have never been part of a deaf community before, in person or online. Truth be told I never looked for one. I cannot recall ever having a deaf friend before either, though I know several older folk that use hearing aids.

I signed up on here on a whim to be honest and now I hate my username. Being deaf doesn't define me or anyone else.

I was lucky to have been born in Michigan. In Mount Pleasant, there is Central Michigan University, which apparently is a world renowned place for Audiology. That is where my parents took me for all of my hearing needs as a child. Where I live now, I am lucky to have found an excellent place that is run by a CMU graduate.

I think I will continue to be a member here. As all of you know, it's impossible for people with no hearing problems to understand what life is like for us day in and day out, same with us and blind people. It feels good to communicate with people like me.

Only you guys know what it's like when a hearing aid gets wet and shorts out, or when a battery dies and you find out that you have no more so you have to drive and get some, all without hearing a thing. I've been there.

I was once asked what it was like when I did not have my hearing aid in. A simple answer would be complete silence but it's more than that. You understand what I mean?

That happen to me once , I was talking to a neighbor and my HA when beep beep then dies on me. I wear only one HA so I could not hear a thing my neighbor was saying and I tried to tell him this but he had no idea what I was talking about. I got moisture in the tube and that cause my HA to shorts out. Welcome to Alldeaf , I found this forum while trying to find a new telephone , I never did find a phone , but I did find a cool forum.

Yeah moisture in the tube is a pain. I have a bulb type thing that I keep in my vehicle for when I need to clear the tube out. If I can't use that bulb thing I just take the ear mold and tube off and use my breath to clear it out. Rain and sweat have been my nemesis for a long time. I work outside year round so in the summer when it's humid out, that's when I have the most problems with moisture in the tube.

Yeah moisture in the tube is a pain. I have a bulb type thing that I keep in my vehicle for when I need to clear the tube out. If I can't use that bulb thing I just take the ear mold and tube off and use my breath to clear it out. Rain and sweat have been my nemesis for a long time. I work outside year round so in the summer when it's humid out, that's when I have the most problems with moisture in the tube.

My HA is kids friendly and the hook can't be taken off the HA and knowing my luck if I pulled the tube out I would never get it back on. I am outside with my dog a lot and I think my HA my had gotten wet that way.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back