intro

Kristine13826

Reaction score
Hello . I am deaf............ born deaf in my left ear and deaf in my right after aquiring menier's disease at age 27. I have a choclear implant called a endolphmatic subbarachnoid shunt tube to help drain off the fluid from the brain and decrease air pressure in their. I wear a very strong electronic hearing aide in that ear to help bring sound in. I am 54 years old now and had that operation when I was 32 years old. I'd like to say that some of the cochlear implants are not always 100%. It took me 3 years to re- learn how to " hear" my way. The sounds are not anything natural but rather like listening to a radio ; very mechanical and tinny sounding. I never was allowed to learn sign as my doctor was a toughie and said he didn't want me to learn sign as I would probably get lazy and use it too much like a crutch!!!!
I found myself with one foot in both worlds hearing and deaf and never really fitting in both. Yesterday on dish I saw a show where everyone was fighting with each other over a deaf 5 year old girl over weather she should have a cochlear implant. I felt very bad for that child and I want to say; she should have been allowed to choose for herself!!!! As a child I never knew I was deaf until I was 12 years old!!! I never knew I was different in anyway for my parents never told me and didn't really know it themselves until the doctor took them aside and told them very gruffly " she's deaf" I was always in trouble as a kid . never fit in the class room; I went to normal school. Nobody ever seemed to like me and I never really knew why????? There was too much emotional pain from that. That child should be able to choose her own way as ultimately she is the one who has to live it not her parents not her grand parents . She is the one who lives it!!!!! It was the one thing I resented even as a small child ; my father trying to protect me, choosing everything for me. For gosh sakes I can think!!!! So can that child. I just had to say this to somebody for that child's sake. I did see everybody's side in that show and everybody had good points. But it is ultimately the child's decision. Thank you for letting me vent!

:welcome: To All Deaf Kristine13826!!!!
Sorry to hear about all that:(
Vent all you want, everyone else does hehe':)
Have fun posting &
Enjoy your stay here:thumb:

I have a choclear implant called a endolphmatic subbarachnoid shunt tube to help drain off the fluid from the brain and decrease air pressure in their. I wear a very strong electronic hearing aide in that ear to help bring sound in.

cochlear implant is not the same as endolphmatic subarachnoid shunt tube. it only drain the water out of your ear..

when Cochlear implant HELP you hear. and u cant wear hearing aid where the cochlear implant is at. its completely different. i think u got it confused??

welcome to AD.. I hopoe you will enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

Smiley Gin, at first I thought I just had the tube but when I saw my doctor he said "the shunt failed a long time ago." I mean " hint hint" ya know???? Then I had tooth trouble and my dentist caught on film a small radio inside my ear........ THAT explained the mechanical sounds immediately. I do still wear a hearing aide on the outside ; it does have a microphone. I went to lennox hill hospital in manhattan for the microsurgery in 1980 as we didn't have the technology here. I had lost all but 20% of my hearing in my right ear from the menier's disease. My family had no money so I think I might have been the recipient of some very good hearted doctors. I am deaf in my left ear at birth a congenital type of anomoly ..... the auditory nerve simply didn't develope.

ok but there are two different kinds.. one is hearing aid which have mold.. which amplify the sounds.. that help you hear.. some have benefits some dont have benefits..

whereas the cochlear implant bypass the nerves to cochlear and there is wire that go to cochlear .. that help stimulates the nerves directly to brain .. yes there is a processor that u put on your ear to help you hear.. but one thing no mold.. hope this help??

Hard of hearing person from Houston, Tx area

Do you live in my area? I am 57 and looking for someone that would understand my hearing loss. Thanks Donnie

Hello . I am deaf............ born deaf in my left ear and deaf in my right after aquiring menier's disease at age 27. I have a choclear implant called a endolphmatic subbarachnoid shunt tube to help drain off the fluid from the brain and decrease air pressure in their. I wear a very strong electronic hearing aide in that ear to help bring sound in. I am 54 years old now and had that operation when I was 32 years old. I'd like to say that some of the cochlear implants are not always 100%. It took me 3 years to re- learn how to " hear" my way. The sounds are not anything natural but rather like listening to a radio ; very mechanical and tinny sounding. I never was allowed to learn sign as my doctor was a toughie and said he didn't want me to learn sign as I would probably get lazy and use it too much like a crutch!!!!
I found myself with one foot in both worlds hearing and deaf and never really fitting in both. Yesterday on dish I saw a show where everyone was fighting with each other over a deaf 5 year old girl over weather she should have a cochlear implant. I felt very bad for that child and I want to say; she should have been allowed to choose for herself!!!! As a child I never knew I was deaf until I was 12 years old!!! I never knew I was different in anyway for my parents never told me and didn't really know it themselves until the doctor took them aside and told them very gruffly " she's deaf" I was always in trouble as a kid . never fit in the class room; I went to normal school. Nobody ever seemed to like me and I never really knew why????? There was too much emotional pain from that. That child should be able to choose her own way as ultimately she is the one who has to live it not her parents not her grand parents . She is the one who lives it!!!!! It was the one thing I resented even as a small child ; my father trying to protect me, choosing everything for me. For gosh sakes I can think!!!! So can that child. I just had to say this to somebody for that child's sake. I did see everybody's side in that show and everybody had good points. But it is ultimately the child's decision. Thank you for letting me vent!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Being able to 'connect' or even 'identify' yourself with others, especially deaf/hoh children is really nice and can be very special...although, it's a sad world whereas some of these debates tend to get carried away when we (you, me, anyone--) could find and seek some common ground whereas we all can agree on various of terms and point of views in a better way. Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD and it's nice to see that you take interest for the children's sakes. ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

:welcome: to AD! I can understand about having one foot in both worlds and not being able to fit in fully but I am at the point where I dont care anymore. I got my close friends and family who really love me for who I am. I can understand the emotional pain from being treated differently as a kid in school. I went through the same thing but only difference is that I already knew why. I knew I was deaf but I refused to accept it and tried to be as hearing as I could be which was impossible with a profound hearing loss. Finally, I accepted my deafness and then I was faced some discrimination from some people in the deaf community accusing me of being too "hearing". HUH? I was confused for a while at first but I cant always be who what other people want to be so I just stopped trying to fit the mold of either worlds and just be myself. Now, I am a lot happier. I hope you can find that within yourself.

As for children making their choice...it is a very sticky situation for me cuz I have to put myself in the hearing parents' shoes...if I was hearing who have never met deaf people and had a deaf baby..would I get a CI for the baby? Probably so cuz it is natural for parents to want their child to communicate with them in their primary language which is mostly spoken. I applaud the parents who learned ASL for their children even though they have CI's and expose their children to both worlds. It is the parents who expect their child to function like a hearing person with the CI are the ones that makes me sad cuz it seems like they refuse to open their minds about ASL and deaf culture.

Anyways, vent away if it helps u feel better! :)

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun browsing and posting! :)

long time no see

Hello everybodies again!! It's been awhile since I last posted. I have been really busy working etc living etc..........lols lols. Hope everyone is well here and enjoying their lives as much as possible. Just watned to stop in and say "hello"

Kristine13826:whistle:

Hello and hope to see your posts in other threads. Your experience and insights would be greatly appreciated! :)

Back