Interview to a President & Secretary's argentine association (EN/ES)

Waxy

Reaction score
(English)
Interview at ASAM (Asociación de Sordomudos de Ayuda Mutua ,Mute-deaf of mutal help asociation) given by Mr. President Roberto Gonzalez and Secretary, Mr. Jorge Finucci, in order to get information for communication cuban student, Yalena Gispert and her work to get a Thesis statement in Theory of communication.

In the year of 1912 ASAM was founded, in 1957 CAS (Argentine Confederation of the Deaf) was founded. What happened in the middle of that time?

President:

Before this time, there were not interpreters. In time, they started to study at schools like Provolo, Ayrolo. There started to be interpreters at the CAS, about in 1962. Then started the constant grow until now, where you can find there are more and more. From 2001 to this time, you can see more interpreters. Places that appeared –like Villasoles-, so hearing people go. Many places appeared, but the first place where a interpreter was, is here, at the association. Now there are many places that give courses. Here, the teaching is free and public.

[Note: This is my first time I come to a deaf association. Before, I’ve tried to get an interview at CAS, and although I’ve seen with my very eyes to the President sitting there, the deaf that was talking with me, told me that “she wasn’t there available”. Same happened trying to get here, in ASAM. There was a group of deaf en the main door, that called the secretary, who told me the same. Then appeared an old man, with eyes looking like he was lost. He said there was no problem, that he chad time to talk now. They let me in, and the secretary told me that old man, was the President of the association.]

Secretary:

In 1912 is founded this association. For that time, it was the first and only one. What happened between that period and the foundation of CAS? I’ll explain you clearly. In that time, all deaf came here. Then, after 20 years, new associations started to found- Union, Casa Hogar. Then, along ago, a letter from Europe was sent, I don’t know who did, suggesting that we’d need to found a Confederation. The association only, couldn’t be possible to be.

President:

The association received help from Italy and France. The idea of a confederation is to help associations.

Is there any project at this time, between you and some communication media?

Secretary:

You ask me about a project with radio or television. There is not. Why? Before, there weren’t interpreters. Now, for instance, interpreters start to work in plays companies. They do things, but at their ways. The don’t get involved to associations.

[Note: The quality of my LSA education was diverse. According my late investigations, I had an initial education based in spanish, as more prestigious language, without making a clear difference with sing language (SL). Then, I came to this institution, where the concept of the spanish is the correct one, giving the right place to the SL. According argentine linguist Maria Massone, along with other linguists that share common view of studing the language and community, not from the clinic point of view, but anthropological, in her book “Deaf education. Special education and/or education? Quoting Famularo, says that “The “pure” LSA is spoken by adults at the associations, specially my deaf adults, sons of deaf parents (DSDP). The tendency the “pure” variant has particular characteristics (Famularo, 1995:50)

“- Increased elements from sing languages: classifiers, nest forms, directional verbs,
- No manual component increased
- Less fingerspell
- Less oral language and mouthing
- Use of space to determine grammar relations”.”

Once I understood the concept of “mouthing” (not mouth morphemes), started to try to leave this habit. Saddly, the old generation of deaf people, don’t like this. I was very surprised when I started my interview, and the secretary asked me to “mouth, otherwise we’d look like monkeys”.]

President:

For instance, we have now the use of e-mail. I consider this very important. I think they should get involved [the deaf] Why? The deaf can read. Always the deaf “bothers” the hearing for information, now, they can help theyselves. I support the use of e-mail.

What's the relationship today between CAS and ASAM?

Secretary:

ASAM is very old. CAS is new. For instance, in CAS they don’t use sign language. The confederation is only to pressure on the government so they can give jobs to the associations, for everyone. For instance, if at some place in Argentina, there’s an association with problems, the the confederation helps.
Here, in ASAM, is different. For instance, if there’s a homeless deaf or a deaf person with nothing to eat or in need, the association helps. It provides a home and food. That’s the difference with CAS.

[Note: I made again the “mistake” of mouthing again. Again, the secretary asked me not to do that, otherwise, others interpreters would imitate me, and that wouldn’t be good. Usually, when the autodidact, like myself, that doesn’t work in field, related to social sciences, and “only” reads about othe people’s work, they creates a dimension of the real world. I realized with this brief experience, that my dimension is limited and uncomplete. Myopia, if you like. I’d never would thought that a deaf would tell me what others told them for decades. It only shows me how installed the oral ideology is. How hard is to change the status quo. How’re we going to make the deaf to realize this? I don’t know. Meantime, those that want it and can: we can delegate responsibilities, teach and prepare in our own area of competence to the deaf, se they can be independent and then, they can teach others; that’s what we’ve left. Maybe some day, we could see a dign community, not ashamed of what it is.]

Gustavo Gauthier
2.18.10, CABA, Bs As, Argentina

--------------
(Español)
Entrevista realizada en la ASAM (.: ASAM: Asociación de Sordomudos de Ayuda Mutua :.) al Presidente, Sr. Roberto Darío González y el Secretario, Sr. Jorge A. A. Finucci. Para recaudar información para la estudiante cubana Yalena Gispert, y su tesis sobre la Teoría de la Comunicación.

Durante el período entre la creación de ASAM, en 1912 y la CAS en 1957, parece haber un vacío. ¿Qué sucedió?

Presidente:

Antes no había interpretes. Con el tiempo los empezaron a estudiar en las escuelas como la Provolo, el Ayrolo.
Empezó a haber interpretes en la CAS mas o menos en 1962. Ahí comenzo el crecimiento, y hoy es cada vez más.
Desde 2001 hay cada vez más interpretes. Lugares que han surgido -como Villasoles-, para que los oyentes vayan. Muchos lugares empezaron a aparecer, pero el primer lugar donde el intérprete tuvo trabajo fue acá, en la asociación. Ahora hay muchos lugares que brindan cursos. Acá, la escuela de enseñanza en nuestra mutual es pública.

[Nota: Es la primera vez que concurro a un asociacion de sordos. Antes había intentado obtener una entrevista en la CAS, y aunque ví a la Presidente sentada con mis propios ojos en su escritorio, el sordo que me antendió me dijo que “no estaba”. Lo mismo me pasó al intentar lograrla acá, en ASAM. Había un grupo de sordos en la entrada, que llamaron al secretario, que me dijo lo mismo. Al rato apareció un viejito con cara de perdido. Dijo que no había problema. Que tenia tiempo para charlar ahora. Me hicieron pasar, y mientras entrabamos, el secretario me decía que el viejito era el Presidente de la asociación.]

Secretario:

En 1912 es fundada esta asociación. Para aquella epoca, fue la primera y única. ¿Que pasó entre ese período y la fundación de la CAS?
Yo te lo explico claramente. En esa epoca todos los sordos venían acá. Después, a los 20 años, comenzaron a formarse nuevas asociaciones: Unión, Casa hogar. Entonces, hace mucho llego una carta de Europa, no se quién la envio, con la sugerencia de fundar una confederación. La asociación sola no podia estar.

Presidente:

La asociación recibió ayuda de Italia y Francia. La idea de una confederación es para ayudar a las asociaciones.

¿Existe algún proyecto actual entre ustedes y algún medio de comunicación?

Secretario:

Vos me preguntás sobre un proyecto con la radio, la televisión. No, no hay. ¿Por qué? Antes interpretes, no había. Ahora los interpretes, por ejemplo, se ponen a trabajar con el teatro. Ellos hacen las cosas, pero a su forma. No involucran a las asociaciones.

[Nota: La calidad de mi educación en la LSA es variada. Según mis investigaciones posteriores, tuve una educacion inicial fundamentada en el español como lengua mas prestigiosa, sin diferenciar claramente la lengua de señas (LS). Luego me acerqué a una institución donde el concepto que se tiene del español es el que debería, dandole importancia a la LS. Según la lingüista argentina María Massone, junto a otros linguistas que comparten el estudio de la lengua y la comunidad, no desde el punto de vista clínico, si no antropológico, en su libro “Educación de sordos. Educación especial y/o educación” citando a la Lic. Famularo, dice que “La LSA “pura” las hablan los adultos sordos en las asociaciones, en especial los adultos sordos hijos de padres sordos (HSPS). La tendencia hacia la variante “pura” tiene características particulares (Famularo, 1995:50):

“- el aumento de elementos de la lengua de señas: clasificadores, formas anidadas, verbos direccionales,
- el aumento de rasgos no manuales
- el aumento de posturas corporales
- la disminución del uso del alfabeto manual
- la disminución de la lengua oral y la labializacion
- el espacio para determinar relaciones gramaticales”.”

Una vez que entendi el concepto de “labializacion”, comence a intentar dejar esa costumbre. Lamentablemente a la vieja generación de sordos, no le agrada esto. Con mucha sorpresa, cuando comence mi entrevista, el secretario me pidió que “vocalice, sino parecemos monos”.]

Presidente:

Ahora por ejemplo, surgió lo del mail. Yo lo considero importante. Creo que deberían interesarse [los sordos]. ¿Por qué? El sordo puede leer. Siempre el sordo “molesta” al oyente por información, ahora, se puede autoabastecer. Yo acompaño y apoyo el surgimiento del mail.

Secretario:

Es verdad. El sordo aprende a leer. Pero cuidado, vos me preguntaste por un proyecto. ¡Y si el sordo no sabe leer! No puede escribir. Los interpretes saben escribir, yo no.

¿Cual es la relación actual entre la CAS y ASAM?

Secretario:

ASAM es muy antigua. La CAS es nueva. Por ejemplo, en la CAS no se usan lenguas de señas. La confederacion esta solamente para presionar al gobierno para que les den trabajo a las asociaciones, para todos. Por ejemplo, en algun punto de la Argentina, hay alguna asociación con problemas, entonces la confederacion ayuda.
Aca, en ASAM, por ser una mutual es diferente. Por ejemplo, hay algun sordo en la calle o alguno pasa necesidad y no tiene para comer, la mutual ayuda, les da un techo, comida. Esa es la diferencia con la CAS.

[Nota: Volví a incurrir en el “error” de no vocalizar. Nuevamente el secretario me pidió que no lo haga. Que si no, otros interpretes despues me copiarian, y eso no sería bueno.
Generalmente, cuando el autodidacta, como es mi caso, que no hace un trabajo real en campo relacionado a las ciencias sociales, y “solo” lee sobre el trabajo ajeno, se hace una dimensión de lo que sucede en el mundo real. Me di cuenta con esta breve experiencia que esa dimensión es limitada e inconclusa. Miope, si se quiere. Jamás hubiera pensado que un sordo me diría lo que le han dicho a ellos por decadas. Solo me muestra cuan instaurada la ideología oral está. Cuán dificil va a ser cambiar el status quo. ¿Cómo vamos a hacer para que los sordos logren darse cuenta? No lo sé. Mientras tanto, los que queremos y podemos: relegar responsabilidades, capacitar en nuestra area de competencia al sordo, para que pueda ser independiente y pueda el entonces, ser autónomo y capacitar otros; es lo que nos queda. Tal vez algún día podamos ver una comunidad digna, que no se averguence de ser como es.]

Gustavo Gauthier
18.2.10, CABA, Bs. As., Argentina

Back