Interview: Ears ringing? Listen up

starrygaze

Reaction score
Interview: Ears ringing? Listen up
By CHRISTINE DELL'AMORE

WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 (UPI) -- Whistling, hissing, buzzing, chirping -- sufferers of tinnitus often have a front-row seat to an unwelcome orchestra of sounds. The condition affects more than 50 million Americans, and 12 million of them have severe enough cases to seek medical attention, according to the American Tinnitus Association.

The cacophony of noise a person hears is not real, but the perceived sound can be enough to dramatically lower quality of life, said Don Caspary, a professor of pharmacology at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Ill. United Press International was all ears as Caspary, also a tinnitus researcher, talked about the latest treatments and research.

Q. Describe tinnitus -- what is it like?

A. It's very variable. Some people have buzzing, or hear a pure tone. It can be high or low frequency, or more pulsatile, and it can come and go. Pure tone tinnitus sounds like if you leave your phone off your hook. Single frequency (sounds like) playing a single note on an instrument.

Q. Who does it normally affect?

A. It covers a lot of different ages. There is a peak that seems to happen in aging, about 50 to 60. In very old ages it goes back down a little. It's important to consider some people have tinnitus and live with it every day, and it doesn't bother them. For others, it affects their daily lives tremendously -- it affects their sleeping and adds a stress component.

It's the pairing of your stress to the sound that makes it become real aversive ... If you think you have a brain tumor when you have the sound, and the sound becomes ominous, it becomes a real stressor and interferes with your life.

Q. Does it come concurrently with other diseases?

A. In general, people who have tinnitus have some kind of hearing loss. It starts with some damage to inner ear, (possibly from) noise exposure. It's very common in war veterans. (It can also come from) cumulative work environment noise or a sudden explosion. There's (short-term) tinnitus after a rock concert -- it traumatizes the inner ear, until it eventually goes back to normal. (Using a) Walkman and major noise exposure probably leads to a lot more tinnitus. This is not an obscure problem -- an awful lot of people have this.

Q. What's some new research being done?

A. There has been a huge increase in people working on tinnitus in the last few years. It's a priority of the NIH (National Institutes of Health), the American Tinnitus Association and the Tinnitus Research Consortium. We're making progress. One (area) is carefully defining what it is, knowing what is acoustic versus stress-related. We're developing (experiments with) animal models, which are occurring now with (testing) drugs. You can't ask an animal if they have tinnitus, (so the experiments are) still being refined.

Q. How do the drugs work?

A. The drugs are related to neurotransmitters. The drug tries to put back the inhibition that appears to be lost ... the input to the brain is damaged, and the brain tries to respond to this loss of input. Basically, 90 percent of people who have tinnitus have hearing loss. That means the hairs in the inner ears are damaged in some way, and this alters the input to brain. The brain says, "Hmm, I have to change something," and it results in a hyperactivity. It's a phantom sound.

Q. Any new treatments?

A. There is no gold standard. Behavioral therapy is the (closest to a) gold standard, but it's unproven from a scientific point of view. A combination of behavioral and pharmaceuticals (probably works best). We can treat the stress reaction sometimes with anti-depressants.

There's also tinnitus-retraining therapy, which basically trains you to cope with tinnitus -- it desensitizes you. There's counseling involved, (as well as) sound acoustic therapy -- it trains you to listen to sound. It's pretty effective. (Sound therapies include both wearable, hearing aid-like devices, and non-wearable devices, such as table-top sound machines or even a whirring fan. Often, sound is used to completely or partially cover the tinnitus.) It's not scientifically proven; a lot of people doing it, and it seems to get good results, but a real clinical trial has yet to be done.

Q. Will the incidence continue to go up?

A. (Yes.) In epidemiological studies, up to 15 percent of the population have tinnitus, (which includes) 27 percent of males and 15 percent of females, both over the age of 45. Two things will contribute to an increase: the aging population, and even though the industrial world is careful about ear protection, we're increasing exposure to loud sounds and continuous noise. Kids' (MP3 players) and urbanized society will contribute to the increase.

For more information:

American Tinnitus Association | Home | Help For Ringing In The Ears

Thanks a lot for the article. I've had tinnitus in one ear for about 6 years and was basically told to "deal with it." I'm completely deaf in that ear, so it's odd to me that I have the tone. I'm going to the ENT doc on Friday to try and figure out what happened to my decent ear and try to work on the tinnitus. It's getting louder and more annoying.

Knowing the upcoming tinnitus epidemic is around the corner, I gotten bold at times and will tell an idiot teenager...do you want a CI like I do?

If not, turn the stupid thing down and save your hearing!

Unfortunately, most people are too stubborn by half!

I have tinnitus and it sucks. My doctor told me that it was something I had to live with. I need to get a referal to an ENT. I went to an audiologist and she basically told me I was lieing when I couldnt hear the beeps.

It was a frustrating experience

I have tinnitus and it sucks. My doctor told me that it was something I had to live with. I need to get a referal to an ENT. I went to an audiologist and she basically told me I was lieing when I couldnt hear the beeps.

It was a frustrating experience

Wow! The audi didn't believe you? Not good at all. *Shaking one's head* You need an audi that you can work with and believes you.

Oh I get that ringing in my ear all the time. Even in the middle of the night grrr! I did tell Audiologist and it is hard for them to believes. Because they never had one. Oh well just deal with it.

you know i cant hear the phone,interview with the people hard communicate for that!

An audi who doesn't believe you are suffering from tinnitus? :( What's up with that?? I think it's time for you to find another audi!

Ever since getting my second CI, I have bilateral tinnitus. The tinnitus in my left ear equates to a fan turned on low speed but is something I can ignore most of the time. The tinnitus in my right ear is another story altogether. It constantly changes from one sound to another (a fan turned on low speed, a car engine turning over repeatedly, a repetitive high pitched beep) which makes it almost impossible to ignore.

Sometimes the tinnitus in my left ear is louder than the right and vice-versa. Sometimes both ears compete with each other. :)

I've eliminated salt and caffeine from my diet to no avail.

Since the tinnitus in my right ear has been pretty severe (a recent complaint of mine), my CI surgeon is going to prescribe something to help me sleep. It looks like that's the best I can do at this point. :(

Like many other tinnitus sufferers, I'm still patiently waiting for a cure! :)

That's odd because I never got tinnitus for my life.

Pacman,

I wish I were in your shoes! My bilateral tinnitus was caused by my CI surgeries. Before my CIs, I had mild tinnitus in my left ear, but it rarely bothered me. Now it's as if I have a musical "symphony" playing in my head 24/7. LOL!

Pacman,

I wish I were in your shoes! My bilateral tinnitus was caused by my CI surgeries. Before my CIs, I had mild tinnitus in my left ear, but it rarely bothered me. Now it's as if I have a musical "symphony" playing in my head 24/7. LOL!

I understand about your feeling with tinnitus.

It seems that I will get one when older, around 20's or older but probably never happen.

Yeah... I have it.. since I had first stroke... some days are not that bad.. other days are annoying... I never thought about anti.depressions pills... i recalled i used to take prozac for two yrs.. they are recalled... i guess i will go back to my doctor and ask him about other anti depressions.. HUMMM...

Hmm. For anti-depression, you might want to try some St. John's Wort pills, and it is a natural. I was told that it has barely no side effect.

I wrote somewhere on AllDeaf post a long time ago:

- Clean out your sinuses with warm salt water because of the infection. (Look it up on google for more info)

- It is a possible that you need a neck adjustment - chiropractor because of your nerve pressure due wrong vertebrates position.

- If you have a nasal polyp, that is the most unfortunate which is hard to get rid of - a surgery might help, but no guarantee like 50/50 chance.

Some ENT doctors are bullshit. It's up to you to try these list.

Back