Interstate 85 overpass collapsed in big fire

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
An elevated section of northbound Interstate 85, a major north-south artery for the Southeast, collapsed Thursday evening in Atlanta after a massive fire, officials said.

All five lanes of the highway in each direction were blocked and will be closed for the foreseeable future, officials said.

That prospect sent shudders through metro Atlanta commuters, who already contend with heavy traffic. An estimated 250,000 vehicles drive daily through that stretch of I-85, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.

Officials scrambled to come up with alternate routes and encouraged riders to use public transit.
Cortez Stafford, a spokesman with the Atlanta Fire Department, said a unit was returning from another fire when it saw heavy smoke coming from under I-85.

"There was a 40-feet or higher wall of fire. Power lines were falling and arcing heavily and falling in the streets," Stafford told CNN.

The elevated span of highway -- a few miles north of downtown -- collapsed about 7 p.m. as crews battling the fire got out of danger. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

As concrete began falling from under the bridge, firefighters were asked to step back, Stafford said. "Not even two minutes later, the highway fell with a big 'kaboom.' (It) knocked our guys back."

There were no reported injuries.

The section that fell, which appeared to be 75 to 100 feet long, broke at the point of pillar support, a CNN correspondent observed.

In an unusual move, two fire trucks from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in south Atlanta came to the scene and sprayed foam on the fallen section and flames.

Interstate traffic was stopped and turned around, creating jams that extended 5 miles or more, not long by Atlanta standards, but many drivers were stuck in the area for hours.

Georgia Department of Transportation spokewoman Natalie Dale told CNN, "Given the collapse on the northbound side, I cannot fathom the southbound will be open anytime soon."

Dale said inspectors were waiting for chance to inspect the freeway. Transportation authorities are trying to put together a traffic plan, a detour plan for commuters.

More here:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/30/us/atlanta-i-85-fire/index.html

Last edited:
Wow... I am afraid that there are heavy traffic during daylight. I know it will be very bad day.

Oh boy. That reminds me of when I35 collapsed here in Minneapolis over the Mississippi River a few years back. There were a number of fatalities in that one. The new bridge is nice.

Wow... glad I don't live in Georgia anymore right now lol. I have a few friends who live near Atlanta so have heard about it.

Just heard that there is 3 arrests involving the fire. The article mentioned that these people are homeless.

Oh boy. That reminds me of when I35 collapsed here in Minneapolis over the Mississippi River a few years back. There were a number of fatalities in that one. The new bridge is nice.

I remember that too.

Heard about it later that day, made Friday's commute kinda awkward since New Orleans has many bridges and overpasses, some over a body of water. Hope reconstruction goes smoothly there.

But HOW did they start the fire is still....unanswered.

According to CNN:
The man accused of arson in a massive fire that collapsed part of Interstate 85 in Atlanta discussed smoking crack with two others before the blaze started, an arrest affidavit shows.

"Thomas watched Basil Eleby place a chair on top of a shopping cart, reach under the shopping cart and ignited it," the affidavit said without providing details.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/02/us/i-85-fire-collapse/index.html

Whether it's an accident or not... it's negligent.

Wow...such idiots to cause such a MAJOR damage like this.

Not quite a collapse, but another highway imploded by gas leak in Atlanta making things worse for traffic:

170417132259-02-i-20-bucked-0417-exlarge-169.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/17/us/atlanta-i-20-road-damage-trnd/index.html

Ive seen water mains blow a street apart when I worked in Meter and Tap on the main lays... amazing the force of water and gas in those pipelines, the ages of the pipes as well plays a factor in how they hold up... Laclede Gas is now replaceing all gas lines with a flexible plastic line, it wont crack and will flex during an earthquake too.

Ive seen water mains blow a street apart when I worked in Meter and Tap on the main lays... amazing the force of water and gas in those pipelines, the ages of the pipes as well plays a factor in how they hold up... Laclede Gas is now replaceing all gas lines with a flexible plastic line, it wont crack and will flex during an earthquake too.

I learned that STL is on earthquake fault.

Back