interpreting help

hovenhaven

Reaction score
hi
i am a itp student. i am doing research on interpreting. "Does simultaneous or consecutive interpreting provide a more accurate interpretation?"

One way to record info is to participate in a survey. your input is welcome.

Thank you in advance for your valuable input and for sharing your experiences. I'll let you know how I did!

Feel free to expand on any questions or add questions.

I thank you for your input.

P.S. If someone has a more professional way of obtaining info, I'm open to suggestions.

Have you used an interpreter before?

Did the assignment require consecutive or simultaneous interpretation?

What are the benefits of simultaneous interpreting?

What are the benefits of consecutive interpreting?

How many interpreters were present? One? Team?

If Team Interpreters were used, how did they switch?

Was this switch distracting? If so, what is the preferred way?

I'm an interpreter

The interpreter should meet the client first.
Then they find out where the deaf person has to go and what time.
And its a good idea for the deaf person to try to contact the interpreter if they're going to be late or the appointment was cancled.
Also the interpreter should always dress nice.
Margie

Um...how do those answers have anything to do with the questions?

(Sorry hovenhaven, I'm an interpreter not a consumer so can't answer from a Deaf perspective.)

I'm not deaf, but I was talking to a deaf frind about this topic last week. She attends a church where the interpreters switch out periodically. She says that this is very distracting and detracts from the message. She said it's also easier for her to lose concentration or to miss parts of the message when the interpreters are switching. She told me that she feels, in most cases, that it's the interpreter's responsibility to gain the ability to interpret for longer periods of time. (These interpreters don't, which is why they switch, so she says) That's the only thing I know about it, I hope that helps.

Generally speaking, interpreters go in twos on assignments that are at least a half day because CTS(Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)is fairly rampant amongst them. However, in switching, they can make the movement in such a way as to lessen the distraction. The switch is smooth and timely when they do it at the end of the speaker's sentence or a pause, etc, etc.....

Ethereal said:
She told me that she feels, in most cases, that it's the interpreter's responsibility to gain the ability to interpret for longer periods of time. (These interpreters don't, which is why they switch, so she says)

Switching every 20-30 minutes is common and in fact the norm when two interpreters are available. It cuts back on physical and mental stress and allows the interpreter a break during a long sermon or lecture or whatever. Some people go longer, depending on how long they feel they can interpret at their best before needing a break.

When I have to interpret a class for an hour and a half by myself, it doesn't matter what my "ability" is, I am definitely not signing as well by the end as the beginning because of the constant concentration with no "brain break". Sometimes I don't even have five seconds to take a drink of water.

If she is lucky enough to have team interpreters, then it is like she is constantly getting a "fresh" interpreter who is capable of doing a better job after a brief break. Interpreting is not like signing. I can have a signed conversaiton for an hour and a half and not even notice the time go by. Interpreting is mental and physical work.

If they're switching more frequently than 20 minutes, that might be the cause of the problem. Or perhaps they aren't doing it in a smooth way, making her feel as if she's missing the sermon. She should talk to the interpreters so she can get a better sense of why they are switching and how it can take place so that she does not feel distracted or that she is missing anything. Some interpreters are definitely not skilled in switching smoothly and they should know that they are causing a problem. My teams and I usually strive to start signing without missing a beat when we're replacing the other person.

Your friend may feel it is the interpreters' responsibility to increase their stamina but it is also her responsibility to inform them that the situation is not working for her. There is surely a way to improve things but placing interpreters at even greater risk of carpal tunnel syndrome is not the best answer.

Research help

hovenhaven said:
hi
i am a itp student. i am doing research on interpreting. "Does simultaneous or consecutive interpreting provide a more accurate interpretation?"

One way to record info is to participate in a survey. your input is welcome.

Thank you in advance for your valuable input and for sharing your experiences. I'll let you know how I did!

Feel free to expand on any questions or add questions.

I thank you for your input.

P.S. If someone has a more professional way of obtaining info, I'm open to suggestions.

I just got my Assoc. Degree in ASL last week. I don't know how many classes you have taken, but interpreting is more challenging than many hearing folks realize. I took Terp I class twice and had more trouble with it than I did College Algebra.

Here's an example/situation for you to try. Watch your favorite TV show with mute and captions on. How much do you understand? This is Deaf life everyday. Next with normal volume, try to sign EVERYTHING that is being said, point out who is saying what, and try to explain idioms or cultural differences that a Deaf client may not understand. Do ALL this and try to sign with only a 10-15 second delay from the speaker(s). Plus listen for new information.

Now imagine doing this for more than 20 minutes at a time without going "brain dead."

A good reference book that I used in my classes is "So You Want to be an Interpreter." I'm at work now and don't remember the authors. Good luck with your project. REALLY.

Our church terps work as a team during the Sunday morning service, which is about one-hour, 15 minutes. The first terp does the songs, announcements, prayers, visitor introductions, etc. During the instrumental offeratory, they switch. The second terp does the sermon, invitation, and closing.

I terp the adult Sunday School class, Sunday evening service, Wednesday night service, and other special services (revival mtgs, mission conference, banquets, etc.). I don't have a team member. (The other terp won't interpret at night.) It is harder that way, but I have been doing it for many years in that one setting, so I have developed techniques that make it easier for me without degrading the interpretation. But after the service I am burnt out for a short while.

Outside of my own church setting, I would expect team interpreting for long assignments. It truly is a mental and physical drain. Also, team members support each other by "feeding" missed signs and cues to actions that are occurring outside of the terps visual range.

There have been times that I interpreted too long, and my fingers actually cramped into weird positions involuntarily. Or I had to stop for a second, take a deep breath and begin anew because my brain just dropped everything, poof! (Excuse my language, but it is called a "brain fart".)

Terps learn techniques to make team switching a smooth transition. It also helps if the team has worked together previously, and can easily "read" each other's signals for switch time. If possible, the team members should discuss signing style and sign jargon ahead of time so that their signing will be consistent. That is, don't have one terp signing SEE, and the other one signing ASL. Use consistent name signs and acronyms. Of course, try to take advantage of natural breaks in the conversation, if possible. That is, when lecturers take turns, or if there is a musical interlude, or a presenter is setting up a projector, or during applause.

Interpreters sometimes do switch

If your interperting at deaf event, convention, at a chruch and the event is very long , or it runs for a few days, they'll have more than one interpreter.
Its called "Team" interprerting.
I've done that before in 93, when I was interprerting a CSUN for an AADB Convention trainging for SSP's.
They do that so the interpreters can take a break and relax.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC
Ps: I'm an interperter myself, I've known ASL for 30 yrs.

Thats it ........ I just now witnessed this little posting and im going to be notifying RID headquaters. someone in here is in voilation of the code of ethics a breach of the certifications. I wouldn't hire this interpeter if this was the last one on earth!!!!!

javapride said:
Thats it ........ I just now witnessed this little posting and im going to be notifying RID headquaters. someone in here is in voilation of the code of ethics a breach of the certifications. I wouldn't hire this interpeter if this was the last one on earth!!!!!

who breached the code of ethics and why?

javapride said:

RID has no impact on interpreters in OC, California because they are not encouraged to be members of RID!

I despise RID and will boot any RID terp out of OC!

Richard Roehm

Mod Note:

Thread's being closed for now to allow things to cool down--will re-open later after further review....

javapride said:

now this thread has been unlocked :)
what specific ethic(s) was/were breached? I'm lost as I dont see anything wrong with this thread? Care to enlighten some of us?

-Cheers

Javapride, you are joking, aren't you? I see nothing wrong above with the interpreters discussing how they do their jobs (i.e., switching every 20-30 minutes, dressing up in dark colors, etc). That is not a violation of code of ethics. Also, I see no names mentioned or anything at all.

I work with contracted interpreters here at the Federal agency and am quite familiar with their code of ethics.

Geez Louise, relax, Javapride! :roll:

Back