Interpreting Aptitude Test?

breelligerent

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm an aspiring terp and I was wondering if there's a test for someone's aptitude for interpreting. Being fluent in ASL won't matter if I don't have the natural skills for interpreting! Has anyone heard of a test for this?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

You mean something before you'd even start an ITP?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

You mean something before you'd even start an ITP?

I'd love to get one before I start an ITP, but I doubt that they are available at that point. I didn't know if aptitude tests existed for ASL. I don't want to train to be a terp and end up flunking out or being an awful interpreter because I just don't have the natural language skills, y'know?

I'd love to get one before I start an ITP, but I doubt that they are available at that point. I didn't know if aptitude tests existed for ASL. I don't want to train to be a terp and end up flunking out or being an awful interpreter because I just don't have the natural language skills, y'know?
I doubt that you'll get all the way to the end of the program before knowing whether or not you have an aptitude for interpreting, if you are honest with yourself. It's not likely that you could "train to be a terp" through an entire program only to "end up flunking out" at the end. Obviously, if you don't get high grades and feel accomplished after a semester or two of ASL, you probably aren't going to continue on. Also, if you don't have the fire in the belly for interpreting, it's not for you.

I doubt that you'll get all the way to the end of the program before knowing whether or not you have an aptitude for interpreting, if you are honest with yourself. It's not likely that you could "train to be a terp" through an entire program only to "end up flunking out" at the end. Obviously, if you don't get high grades and feel accomplished after a semester or two of ASL, you probably aren't going to continue on. Also, if you don't have the fire in the belly for interpreting, it's not for you.

Oh no, I figured that if I sucked at terping I'd flunk out early on. But I'm scared to take the leap of faith and enroll at a university if it's for nothing, as I'd have to move out of state. I have the fire in my belly. I can't imagine doing anything else, although that may change once I start an ITP. You never know if you're idealizing something or not until you're slapped with the reality of it. But I'd rather find out that terping wasn't what I thought it was like than discover that I suck completely at this thing that I want to do more than anything.

I don't know if that made any sense at all. Feel free to tell me to buck up and stop thinking too much if you're thinking it! :lol:

What do you think it's like?

I think it is very, very challenging. You have to juggle flipping between two languages, one visual with one structure and the other spoken with a different structure. I know that terps often train in PSE and SEE as well as ASL. You have to interpret ideas, not just words. That takes a lot of mental power and skill. Then you have to be a chameleon: you're supposed to be almost invisible and have to blend into many different social settings. You need to be inconspicuous so that the consumer can lead their interactions. Then, above all, you have to manage ethical standards and practices while doing all those other things. You aren't there to do anything but interpret, which would likely be hard to get used to in emotional situations like medical settings.

I think every day is different and surprising. I think you'd have to be very flexible mentally and alert. Yet I think it'd be very rewarding. Not because of any " deaf savior" bullshit, but because you're providing a service that is necessary for some and provides a way for d/Deaf consumers to regain power in their interactions. Full access to information and communication is an equalizer.

What would you say that terping is like? :wave:

...What would you say that terping is like? :wave:
You've described it pretty well. :)

You have a realistic picture of interpreting, and you have the desire. How are you doing in your ASL classes?

You've described it pretty well. :)

You have a realistic picture of interpreting, and you have the desire. How are you doing in your ASL classes?

Oh yay! :ty: I'm glad that I haven't been romanticizing it. It's easy to do that with a dream job. Even though I'm terrified that I won't be good enough, sometimes terping becomes this mythical thing.

My classes have been going very well. I've only gone through to ASL 2, but I'll start ASL 3 in the spring. I've been devouring books in the meantime, though. I love the American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary that Gallaudet published, although dictionaries aren't the best way to learn. My professor encouraged me to look into interpreting after I finished 2 last quarter, which was when I started getting my hopes up. I'd wanted to be an interpreter but I didn't think I'd be good enough for it for some reason. His input means a lot to me. I'm glad my teacher is Deaf and is active in the community; it makes it easier to learn from him.

Oh yay! :ty: I'm glad that I haven't been romanticizing it. It's easy to do that with a dream job. Even though I'm terrified that I won't be good enough, sometimes terping becomes this mythical thing.

My classes have been going very well. I've only gone through to ASL 2, but I'll start ASL 3 in the spring. I've been devouring books in the meantime, though. I love the American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary that Gallaudet published, although dictionaries aren't the best way to learn. My professor encouraged me to look into interpreting after I finished 2 last quarter, which was when I started getting my hopes up. I'd wanted to be an interpreter but I didn't think I'd be good enough for it for some reason. His input means a lot to me. I'm glad my teacher is Deaf and is active in the community; it makes it easier to learn from him.
I was just going to suggest talking with your instructor and the ITP department head. Also, if you can find a terp mentor, that could help you. If possible, you could accompany your mentor on assignments as an observer (with the consumer's permission). Those actions might give you the insight you seek.

I was just going to suggest talking with your instructor and the ITP department head. Also, if you can find a terp mentor, that could help you. If possible, you could accompany your mentor on assignments as an observer (with the consumer's permission). Those actions might give you the insight you seek.

I know two terps who are employed by my college (a woman in one of my previous classes is Deaf and used two terps) and I wanted to get in contact with them, but my college's disability services department wouldn't let me leave either of them a message for safety reasons. I didn't think to ask my professor, though! I'll do that once he's back on campus in the fall. :ty: Thank you for your responses; they honestly made my day. :)

I know two terps who are employed by my college (a woman in one of my previous classes is Deaf and used two terps) and I wanted to get in contact with them, but my college's disability services department wouldn't let me leave either of them a message for safety reasons. I didn't think to ask my professor, though! I'll do that once he's back on campus in the fall. :ty: Thank you for your responses; they honestly made my day. :)
I hope you can make contact with the terps. If it were me, I wouldn't mind anyone coming up to before or after (not during) an assignment. I would hand them one of my business cards with my email address, and then we could make arrangements later.

Hey all! I'm an aspiring terp and I was wondering if there's a test for someone's aptitude for interpreting. Being fluent in ASL won't matter if I don't have the natural skills for interpreting! Has anyone heard of a test for this?

Every state in the US has their own interpreter aptitude test. Of course, there's always the National Interpretation Certificate (NIC) aptitude exam. My suggestion is that you enroll into an Interpreter Training Program. :)

Every state in the US has their own interpreter aptitude test. Of course, there's always the National Interpretation Certificate (NIC) aptitude exam. My suggestion is that you enroll into an Interpreter Training Program. :)
Those aren't aptitude tests. Those are skills and knowledge tests.

Those aren't aptitude tests. Those are skills and knowledge tests.

Quite to the contrary, they are aptitude tests.

The definition of aptitude is: the state or quality of being apt or acquired ability.

The NIC (or any state) exams measure how one has well acquired the language of ASL and the ability of being apt in the department of translation/transliteration.

Quite to the contrary, they are aptitude tests.

The definition of aptitude is: the state or quality of being apt or acquired ability.

The NIC (or any state) exams measure how one has well acquired the language of ASL and the ability of being apt in the department of translation/transliteration.
The OP is seeking a test that would show whether or not one has the aptitude for becoming a sign language interpreter prior to going thru an ITP. Most aptitude tests are designed to guide one into certain fields of employment or education. They aren't used for certifications.

Interpreters can't even take the certification exam now until after they have a college degree (not necessarily an ITP major).

One can have an aptitude for a profession without yet having acquired the skills necessary to accomplish that profession. For example, the military gives its members a series of aptitude tests during basic training/boot camp in order to find out who is qualified for which schools and further training. They haven't yet been trained in those fields. One of the tests we took was to see if we had an aptitude for training with Morse Code. None of us had any prior experience in Morse Code. We wore headsets and listened to beeps, and wrote down responses. Thru the aptitude test, we could be evaluated as to whether or not we would be candidates for that training. We also took aptitude tests that evaluated our ability to solve problems thru logic, without any prior subject matter knowledge.

Finally, aptitude tests are evaluation tools for channeling people into education and career fields. Certification tests are for determining who is qualified to work in those fields, after having obtained the education and training required.

The OP is seeking a test that would show whether or not one has the aptitude for becoming a sign language interpreter prior to going thru an ITP. Most aptitude tests are designed to guide one into certain fields of employment or education. They aren't used for certifications.

Interpreters can't even take the certification exam now until after they have a college degree (not necessarily an ITP major).

One can have an aptitude for a profession without yet having acquired the skills necessary to accomplish that profession. For example, the military gives its members a series of aptitude tests during basic training/boot camp in order to find out who is qualified for which schools and further training. They haven't yet been trained in those fields. One of the tests we took was to see if we had an aptitude for training with Morse Code. None of us had any prior experience in Morse Code. We wore headsets and listened to beeps, and wrote down responses. Thru the aptitude test, we could be evaluated as to whether or not we would be candidates for that training. We also took aptitude tests that evaluated our ability to solve problems thru logic, without any prior subject matter knowledge.

Finally, aptitude tests are evaluation tools for channeling people into education and career fields. Certification tests are for determining who is qualified to work in those fields, after having obtained the education and training required.

Well, most ITP programs give an initial assessment to measure one's ability to go through an ITP program. For example, my sister wanted to be an interpreter, but was denied admission to the ITP program because she failed the initial assessment. Some ITP programs give an aptitude test after a student has completed ASL I and ASL II to determine how strong one's ASL foundation is.

Reba, I completely understand your examples of one having an aptitude for a certain profession and I concur with these examples. However, I must point out that is contingent upon the individual has to have willingness to continue through the most rigorous parts of the program.

It is true that a college degree must be obtained in order to qualify for the NIC. Previously, an associate's degree was required, but now a Bachelor's degree is required.

Back