Interpreters: Pet Peeves of Interpreting

IWorkTheRelay

Reaction score
What are the annoying/crappy/bad parts when it comes to interpreting?

Heres some for Relay:

Redialing more than twice.
Ringing more than 10 times.
Not waiting for the GA before you begin typing.
Sitting on hold for an hour. (we have to sit and watch the screen do NOTHING and listen to crappy hold music)
Placing more than two calls with the same operator.
Using relay to do things you can do online.
Using AIM (especially on sidekick) to access Relay.
When businesses hang up on Deaf people or refuse to take a Relay call.
Being given orders to 'speak to live rep' when there isn't an option on a automated menu.
When hearing people speak too fast to for you to type what they say and refuse to slow down.
When hearing people refer to a Deaf person using relay as 'him/her/them' (ex: Tell her I said hi)
Hearing peoples impatience with Relay
Deaf peoples slowness when it comes to business calls.
NIGERIAN RELAY FRAUD
HEARING PEOPLE PLAYING/ABUSING WITH RELAY.

Wow bet it sounds like I really hate my job now huh lol.
I love my job, I just hate the carpel tunnel... and Fraud.

Perhaps this thread could be moved to the Relay section, since it isn't really about interpreting? Or am I misunderstanding the thread intent?

All the things you talked about were related to tty relay! Is that what you do?

Of course, the poster gave examples of annoying things related to relay and wanted to know about similar things for interpreting.

It'll be interesting what deaf people annoy interpreters and relay operators with.
I'll take into consideration some of the things you have said. Sometimes there's nothing we can do about waiting on the phone or people hanging up

I thought there should be a national commercial education about Relay Service. I think I have seen those, but I never see them repeated enough to educate hearing people.

I think the only way to solve problems with relay is to give each deaf person a code and a doctor's note that you're deaf or speech impaired with your registered address.
Aren't there exercises you can do to help your hands?

Yes, there have been workshops about how to use VRS, but I agree that a national education program would be nice.

Back