Interpreters Corner

Me either never heard of ACS but saw jiro's link. :)

thank you all for sharing your experiences.

It would have been nice if you would have said what ACS is. People come to this site from all over the world and cannot be expected to be familiar with agencies in New York City.

Me either never heard of ACS but saw jiro's link. :)

thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I saw his link but thought it would have been considerate to include what the initials stand for rather than expecting everyone to have time to load a link.

I saw his link but thought it would have been considerate to include what the initials stand for rather than expecting everyone to have time to load a link.

What? Are you on dial up 56k modem?? :ugh:

I've never experienced the team member leaving the room except maybe for a quick potty break. Team members are not off duty when the other one is interpreting. The non-interpreting member is supposed to be available for feeding and assisting the signing terp. Also, appropriate breaks for switching aren't always in convenient time frames, so the other terp needs to be ready to go. It would seem like coming and going out of the room would be disruptive.

Also, how is it this other interpreter can "tell" you what to do? Is the other terp senior to you in some way?

If this is not the real world, what is it? Another dimension? :lol:

Correct. The other terp, doesn't have any ethics so whatsoever. She likes it "her way". Yes, she does have senority over me but not my boss. We do the same job and what not. What I mean by real world, non-interpreting member is to be available for feed back and assisting the signing terp. Instead, since it is only two of us, we have to be available for other deafies who came to the campus for whatever reason. Maybe, they need to make a payment or see a counselor , you get the gist. (Educational -post high school)

Interpreters, I would like to know how you honestly feel when a deaf client asks you at least one personal question about yourself. Like "Where are you from?", "Are you married?", "Do you have children?" and so on.

Yes, terps often suffer from reflected trauma, especially since we can't share our experiences with others.

In the one experience that I mentioned, the other terp was also present. We knew that it was near the end, so we both wanted to be present with the family. It was a long night. It took a long time for the other terp to be able to enter that hospital for other assignments. Eventually, she moved away.

As a community terp, I've had many assignments that were emotionally stressful, at doctors' offices, social services departments, funerals, employe discipline, etc. Sometimes individuals lash out at the terps when confronted with bad news. I don't take it personally, as long as they don't touch me. One hearing person touched me once, which I didn't expect, and I didn't like that.
As FF said, :ty: for sharing. That's the reason why my daughter doesn't want to become an interpreter.

Interpreters, I would like to know how you honestly feel when a deaf client asks you at least one personal question about yourself. Like "Where are you from?", "Are you married?", "Do you have children?" and so on.
It doesn't bother me. It doesn't happen often.

Correct. The other terp, doesn't have any ethics so whatsoever. She likes it "her way". Yes, she does have senority over me but not my boss. We do the same job and what not. What I mean by real world, non-interpreting member is to be available for feed back and assisting the signing terp. Instead, since it is only two of us, we have to be available for other deafies who came to the campus for whatever reason. Maybe, they need to make a payment or see a counselor , you get the gist. (Educational -post high school)
Yes, I've done the same tasks. I still don't get what's going on with your team procedure.

It doesn't bother me.

Interestingly, you don't mind personal questions.

Anyway, so far I know two interpreters who are active members in this forum (Reba & Rio). Are there more of them who are active members as well?

New guy

Interestingly, you don't mind personal questions.

Anyway, so far I know two interpreters who are active members in this forum (Reba & Rio). Are there more of them who are active members as well?

I just joined. I am a church interpreter so I have a little different 'mission' since I am not certified or being paid.

I don't have any unusual stories to add to this thread at this time.

Wirelessly posted

I have a situation , regarding private conversations, do hearing people have the right to tell the interpreter , don't interpret our conversation ? For example, teacher and student having a private conversation. Any interpreter encounter this before ?

Wirelessly posted

I have a situation , regarding private conversations, do hearing people have the right to tell the interpreter , don't interpret our conversation ? For example, teacher and student having a private conversation. Any interpreter encounter this before ?
If a hearing person doesn't want something interpreted then that hearing person shouldn't make the utterance.

Same for the deaf person--you sign it, I say it.

Usually if the hearing person says, "Don't sign that," I sign that to the deaf consumer plus whatever it was the hearing person didn't want signed.

If the terp is conversing "off the clock" before or after an assignment with someone away from the interpreted setting, then that would be private.

Or do you mean the interpreter is accidentally overhearing a conversation that isn't meant for the rest of the group? In that case, if the rest of the hearing group can overhear the conversation, I would interpret it. If they can't hear it, then I would not.

Wirelessly posted

If a hearing person doesn't want something interpreted then that hearing person shouldn't make the utterance.

Same for the deaf person--you sign it, I say it.

Usually if the hearing person says, "Don't sign that," I sign that to the deaf consumer plus whatever it was the hearing person didn't want signed.

If the terp is conversing "off the clock" before or after an assignment with someone away from the interpreted setting, then that would be private.

Or do you mean the interpreter is accidentally overhearing a conversation that isn't meant for the rest of the group? In that case, if the rest of the hearing group can overhear the conversation, I would interpret it. If they can't hear it, then I would not.

Reba, this last part you mentioned about overhearing is what I took it to be that Rio was asking about.

Reba, this last part you mentioned about overhearing is what I took it to be that Rio was asking about.
If a hearing person can overhear the private conversation, why can't we? Reba pointed that out.

Rio, that was a good question.

Several years ago, our church had it's annual men/boys weekend retreat at a lake camp. Since it was all male, Reba could not be there to interpret for our one deaf member.

The music director at the church allowed me to pick out 10 hymns days ahead. That made it easier for me since I had signed them before. There was going to be announcements and a short preaching challenge. What I did not know, was that skits were added with sound effects. I was told days ahead of time it would last about an hour to an hour and a half. The other part of the day was for relaxation.

After 3 hours, and not realizing what was happening, another guy asked me, are you ok? I looked around and realized that I just zoned out completely while signing. :dizzy:

I asked the speaker if we could take a break? Everyone in the room laughed at me including the deaf man. :giggle: He understood. Me? :Oops:

Several years ago, our church had it's annual men/boys weekend retreat at a lake camp. Since it was all male, Reba could not be there to interpret for our one deaf member.

The music director at the church allowed me to pick out 10 hymns days ahead. That made it easier for me since I had signed them before. There was going to be announcements and a short preaching challenge. What I did not know, was that skits were added with sound effects. I was told days ahead of time it would last about an hour to an hour and a half. The other part of the day was for relaxation.

After 3 hours, and not realizing what was happening, another guy asked me, are you ok? I looked around and realized that I just zoned out completely while signing. :dizzy:

I asked the speaker if we could take a break? Everyone in the room laughed at me including the deaf man. :giggle: He understood. Me? :Oops:

Usually the Deaf man would just copied the other people for laughing, even if he could not understand what you asked the speaker. He probably have no idea what you were saying to the speaker. But if he understood what you told the speaker with lipreading, then he gets it by laughing along with the camp members. :dunno:

Back