Interpreter student- question/looking for help

Nanelle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm an interpreter student in my first year, and am really struggling with some instructions given on an assignment. Not looking for answers or anything, but some advice/insight would be really helpful.

Trying to take a spoken English video, create a (pictures only) mind map for the English video, and then create another (pictures only) mind map 'translating' it into ASL discourse. If this makes sense to anyone and you think you might be able to give some pointers, please please please join in the thread!! I'm going crazy trying to figure this out, my teacher has explained many times but it's just not making sense to me. Thanks! :ty:

Does your school have an ASL club ? I think it'll be more beneficial to ask fellow ASL students as ASL is a very visual language. It is better explained in person.

We do have a club, but for some reason we never seem to meet/it's more about social stuff. Not much happens when it comes to this stuff :( My classmates are just as confused as I am, that's why I thought I'd try branching out and seeing if I could find some clarification elsewhere.

I think because many of us who have life out there. For the Deaf club is dying already.. Lots of us have phone that has text to contact each other to get together like cliques, not the whole group.

I for one dont bother to attend to the deaf club or some events. I have friends to hang out on our own, and have a family. sorry. My good three friends who are ASL teachers, and they begged me to go to a bar or some place to meet them. Its so hard. LOL

We do have a club, but for some reason we never seem to meet/it's more about social stuff. Not much happens when it comes to this stuff :( My classmates are just as confused as I am, that's why I thought I'd try branching out and seeing if I could find some clarification elsewhere.

If you are already in the advanced ASL class plus learning how to become an interpreter, then it is better to get everyone in your class to attend the Deaf Club where you can learn to sign and watch them sign with other Deaf people or maybe hearing people like you. Yes, it is a social event in the Deaf Club. You have to be involved in the Deaf community (Deaf Club). You have be in their Deaf shoes or in their perspectives to understand what they were talking about. If you don't attend the Deaf Club, then you are not going to learn how to interact with the Deaf community and be involve in Deaf Culture. Are there many or few d/Deaf students outside of your class? :hmm:

Yes, our school is lucky enough to have a Deaf Upgrade Program just upstairs, and many Deaf students come down to hang out with us during breaks- it's great practice for us, and they love to help us learn ASL :)

Yes, our school is lucky enough to have a Deaf Upgrade Program just upstairs, and many Deaf students come down to hang out with us during breaks- it's great practice for us, and they love to help us learn ASL :)
What are the Deaf upgraded to? Or are the hearing upgraded to Deaf?

No, Deaf upgrading skills- lots of computer classes, more advanced classes that are taught in ASL so Deaf students can improve job skills, things like that. There are not many schools in the area that teach in ASL so it's a popular program in my school

Back