Interpreter Requirements

HelloNurse

Reaction score
I think I remember reading on here, that next year they require terps to have a bachelors degree in order to be certified, but the BS doesnt have to be in ASL/Interpreting/Deaf studies. Does anyone know if this is correct? I should have my BS in nursing in 2013, so can i get a certificate on top of that or do I need to get a second BS degree in Interpreting?

I was just pondering it today on my 45 minute drive to school. :hmm: Any insight would be much appreciated.

Yup that is true, any BS will be sufficient. I am going to finish getting my early childhood ed degree.

Yes, it is true. You can have a BA/BS in any field you wish , I was told.

One would still think you would need a little more extensive education in ASL to become certified interpreter, because interpreting can be a serious thing, especially in the medical field...Depending on how things go, I would like to get certified, and do more with ASL in my nursing career, and while it is great for me that I can attach it to any Bach. degree, it still strikes me as a little odd that there isn't more required.

Does RID and NAD require the interpreters to have at least a B.A. in Sign Language Interpretation?

One would still think you would need a little more extensive education in ASL to become certified interpreter, because interpreting can be a serious thing, especially in the medical field...Depending on how things go, I would like to get certified, and do more with ASL in my nursing career, and while it is great for me that I can attach it to any Bach. degree, it still strikes me as a little odd that there isn't more required.

I plan on going to my local community college with a major in ASL interpreting, my minor will be early childhood ed. Then I will go to a local college to complete my BS.
The only reason I plan on doing this is that the closest college/universities with a BS in interpreting is Rochester, NY. And that is way to far from my son for my tastes.

That's what I thought. I think it should be a B.A. in interpreting. IMHO. ;)
That'll probably be a requirement in the next 10-years, but making this a requirement now would pretty much dry up the pool of new interpreters because there simply aren't enough schools out there offering a BA in interpreting to meet the demand.

That's what I thought. I think it should be a B.A. in interpreting. IMHO. ;)
My friend is interested in legal interpreting and will be getting her degree in Law & Justice this spring. She is already a nationally certified ASL interpreter.

I think the B.A. / B.S. requirement is good because it will give interpreters a good background depth that they might not otherwise have and they can better meet the needs of their clients.

Back