Interpreter Question

Taylor,

You would not needed to take college course to be able to learn sign language since you said it will only related to being a Police Officer. You could take sign language classes at college, like most hearing parent take theirs at when they have a deaf child themselves. Or you can asked a deaf friend of yours to teach you some sign language like I did with my ex boyfriend who is also a police officer. It was very helpful for him. ;)

Beowulf said:
I am aware that interpreters cannot name names, but I have talked with interpreters who have interpreted rock groups, folk singers, etc., and WOW, I cannot believe what assholes the performers can be when it comes right down to it, to the rights of deafies at performances.

Usually the group or performer is totally clueless, and it's the venue (concert hall, arena, whatever) that is responsible for making arrangements with the interpreter. Or I should say, it is the interpreter's and venue's responsibility to make arrangements with each other. (Which DEFINITELY doesn't mean that everything will then go smoothly, however!) I seriously doubt that in the cases you mention where lights were shut off and so forth, the performer had anything to do with it.

But true, some people don't like to have their focus stolen (as they see it) by interpreters. I've heard stories about comedians who mess with the interpreter, sometimes in a funny way, sometimes in a mean way.

Back