interpreter problems...

horrified in Ohio/way to go!

Wow! I live in the Miami Valley in Ohio and I KNOW where Centerville is. It is WONDERFUL that you are able to play in the band and go to classes with a "terp." There is NO EXCUSE for behavior like that on the part of an interpreter ANYTIME or ANYWHERE. As for Sinclair, it is a "mixed bag." Some "terps" who graduate from there are GREAT, some are "so-so," and some...well--they ought to find another line of work. Many years ago (and when my hearing wasn't quite SO bad), I took some ASL classes at Sinclair. I got a lot of A's, but I didn't learn very much. I was (often) waaaaay ahead of my classmates. When I was in "intermediate ASL," we had a Deaf teacher and, after a few class sessions, a "terp" started coming--in order to "reverse" the Deaf teacher's lecture. I was ASTONISHED to learn that my classmates often had NO CLUE what was going on. I think the ASTONISHMENT grew to SHOCK when the interpreter did not show up one day. One of the students was kind enough to call the "terp" on her cell phone--that is how we found out she was stuck. Well, we all decided to "plunge ahead." I kept my eyes glued to the teacher and I stood where she could lip-read me, and "reversed" the lecture. Technically, I was not supposed to be able to do that, since I had not yet taken "SIGN-TO-VOICE I." I remember "dropping out" about 6 months later, without even completing the Certificate in Deaf Studies. I DID enjoy having a Deaf teacher, though. In THAT sense, I learned a lot. I also learned how ignorant and unkind some people can be. Luckily, though, there were also many who were sincere and dedicated in learning to become professional interpreters. People are people. You'll find that anywhere. Anyway, you are to be COMMENDED for standing up for yourself as you have. :cool:

unfortunately, i didn't go to the principal office to talk to the supervisor. My mother called my grandmother and told her about my situation. they didn't want me to go and stir up more trouble. They decided that my parents and I should sit down with my interpreter. But I do not want to have to talk to my interpreter at all. Because i'm basically fed up with everything that she has caused me. And then my mother said that the school is probably going to be keeping my current interpreter for the rest of my high school career because she has a signed contract with them. Which does not make me happy at all because i'll just have 2 more miserable years in high school with her. I really do not want to work with her anymore.

Even if the school and her has a contract, if she is not upholding her end of the contract. It can be considered void. I would still talk with principle and let him/her know so they can make sure she is doing her job or void the contract for not doing her job.

If she's unable to do her job - her contact is void ... period.

Your interpreter is hired to do a job for both the school and YOU ... if YOU are unhappy for legitimate reasons (ie your interpreter is not willing or able to properly and PROFESSIONALLY interpret for you and your school (teachers, classmates etc) they need to be replaced with someone who can.

This isn't personal - this is professional - she's an employee, not a friend.

You need make it abundantly clear that you need to have this person replaced ... most school division offices are open during break - call, leave a message.

DO NOT have a "private meeting" with the interpreter ... unless YOU have hired her (paid for her) ... doing so will just make things MUCH more difficult. If you do elect to have a meeting - you need to make it with you, your parents, your current interpreter, the school officials, and a properly certified interpreter that is 100% independent from the school division.

This isn't like having an issue with another classmate - this is like having a teacher who refuses to teach you because you're Hoh ... it is a situation that IS getting in the way of your education ... and THAT needs to get fixed.NOW.

I realise that it's hard for some people to stand up for themself and demand equal treatment - but it's VERY important that you do so. The skills that you learn in getting a properly trained interpreter will help you in the future when you are looking for employment etc. This problem isn't going to go away ... it must be dealt with.

DO NOT have a "private meeting" with the interpreter ... unless YOU have hired her (paid for her) ... doing so will just make things MUCH more difficult. If you do elect to have a meeting - you need to make it with you, your parents, your current interpreter, the school officials, and a properly certified interpreter that is 100% independent from the school division....
Good point. That reminds me, during the IEP meetings, there should also be an independent interpreter.

hey guys, sorry, i was out of town for about 3 days visiting my family. I caught up with all the posts. To what the recent person said, i really don't know if that would happen. I don't think my parents are going to do anything else because of the school contract between the interpreter that i have. They don't want me to stir up any more trouble. from when i was planning on going into the school, i didn't have an appointment, i was going to just simply go in and ask the principal if i could talk to him; in private about my interpreter. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. But with my parents telling me that, its like i'm doing the wrong thing. I do want to fight to get a new interpreter. but we're really busy with band stuff, my cochlear implant process surgery stuff, fundraisers, then school is going to come pretty soon on the 25th of august. So, i really don't know what to do.

Whatever you decide, please don't think that standing up for your rights is the same thing as stirring up trouble. Think of Rosa Parks or the suffragettes. :)

Until deaf consumers, family members, and school administrators stand up for the rights of students, deaf students will be stuck with unprofessional interpreters.

I'm afraid school politics may be guiding the situation at your school, and you're the one suffering for it.

I hope this doesn't spoil your viewpoint about interpreters. Trust me, there are excellent ones out there. Sadly, you didn't get one at your school.

Hang in there.

It sounds like both you and your parents would really benefit from talking to someone who can help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a person who utilizes interpreters. Most cities have some sort of Deaf community group - or a disabilities services organization that has a department specifically for Hoh & Deaf clients. This IS NOT a "school related" organization at all ... it's a resource that helps Hoh and Deaf with various things including learning how to use interpreters, how to get the most out of university, how to get a job and how to use various things at home and at work to accommodate for your specific hearing loss (visual signallers, TTY, VRS, amplified phone etc.

I would recommend finding out what resources you have in your area - and see if you can make an appointment as a family to discuss how to ensure that your RIGHTS are being met and what a proper interpreter & client relationship should be as well as what your responsibilities are as a user of interpretive services (one of which is to report problems to the correct people).

This is NOT "causing trouble" ... this is making sure that YOU are getting the same QUALITY and access to education as your peers ... which YOUR PARENTS are paying for via their taxes.

It's VERY important that you and your parents are aware of what a proper interpreter/client relationship is suppose to be. Interpreters are hired for a very specific purpose and if they aren't able to DO that job... they need to be replaced with someone who can.

Please see what sort of resources (out side of your school) are available for hoh & d/Deaf ... see if you can call them up and if they might be able to help you understand more about how interpreters are suppose to work, who can help advocate for you, and people that your parents will be able to talk with who can teach them more about how to be proactive and reactive to interpreter-related issues when they come up.

I know it's frustrating and overwhelming to have to stand up for yourself and demand proper treatment ... however YOU ARE WORTH IT... and the sooner you start learning to advocate for your self in a mature "adult-like", clear, articulate manner the better results you will get - because the school will realise that they are now dealing with someone who is fully aware of their rights as a interpreter using student, and that your parents have also become more educated about how the system is suppose to work :)

It sounds like both you and your parents would really benefit from talking to someone who can help you understand your rights and responsibilities as a person who utilizes interpreters. Most cities have some sort of Deaf community group - or a disabilities services organization that has a department specifically for Hoh & Deaf clients. This IS NOT a "school related" organization at all ... it's a resource that helps Hoh and Deaf with various things including learning how to use interpreters, how to get the most out of university, how to get a job and how to use various things at home and at work to accommodate for your specific hearing loss (visual signallers, TTY, VRS, amplified phone etc.

I would recommend finding out what resources you have in your area - and see if you can make an appointment as a family to discuss how to ensure that your RIGHTS are being met and what a proper interpreter & client relationship should be as well as what your responsibilities are as a user of interpretive services (one of which is to report problems to the correct people).

This is NOT "causing trouble" ... this is making sure that YOU are getting the same QUALITY and access to education as your peers ... which YOUR PARENTS are paying for via their taxes.

It's VERY important that you and your parents are aware of what a proper interpreter/client relationship is suppose to be. Interpreters are hired for a very specific purpose and if they aren't able to DO that job... they need to be replaced with someone who can.

Please see what sort of resources (out side of your school) are available for hoh & d/Deaf ... see if you can call them up and if they might be able to help you understand more about how interpreters are suppose to work, who can help advocate for you, and people that your parents will be able to talk with who can teach them more about how to be proactive and reactive to interpreter-related issues when they come up.

I know it's frustrating and overwhelming to have to stand up for yourself and demand proper treatment ... however YOU ARE WORTH IT... and the sooner you start learning to advocate for your self in a mature "adult-like", clear, articulate manner the better results you will get - because the school will realise that they are now dealing with someone who is fully aware of their rights as a interpreter using student, and that your parents have also become more educated about how the system is suppose to work :)
I'm afraid the disconnect in this situation is that the parents don't want to pursue it. If they're willing to take your suggestion, that will be great. If not, then that's that. A minor child is legally and realistically limited.

I guess I'm hoping that somehow the OP might be able to say to her parents ... "this seems like a complicated situation, and we don't know what to do ... perhaps we can talk to the people at (Deaf/disability service organization name) and see if they can help us both understand what we can and can't do, what my rights are, and how to help you as my parents advocate for me so that I can make sure I'm getting the services that I SHOULD be getting."

IT sounds like the OP, and her family aren't aware of how to proceed (you NEVER want to meet with the interpreter privately if you aren't the "paying party"), what their rights are (requesting/demanding a different interpreter to meet the growing educational needs of their daughter etc)

When I had Interpreters in University - I was explicitly told if I had any problems with my interpreters (skill level, unwilling to adapt to my needs, "messing around in class" etc) That I was to report it to Disability services deaf and Hoh dept ASAP and that we would sort it out... it sounds like the parents (and the OP, actaully) are unaware of their right to call a formal meeting to discuss their concerns with the school division/district etc regarding very real problems concerning this interpreter.

Unfortunately I understand this situation all too well ... my parents underestimated and in many cases ignored my hearing loss - sometimes claiming I wasn't trying hard enough ... I'm profoundly deaf on my right, and have mild/mod flux loss on my left ... "trying" wasn't the issue!!). Although I repeatedly asked for interpreters and other support services throughout school - I was repeatedly denied them, mainly because my parents didn't understand my TRUE situation and my RIGHTS as a hoh/deaf child in a "mainstream class" (although in the 80's it was "pre-mainstreaming"). The lessons I've learned from that experience have inspired me to help others in similar situations so that they DON'T have to face the barriers and ignorance that I did ... I wish that I'd known about the disability services available in my area as a child because it would have made a HUGE difference!! (I didn't learn about them until I was an adult)

Back