Interpreter Interview (Need quick help please!)

tofer

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Tofer, I'm an interpreting student and I need a professional interpreter to answer a couple questions about their job and experiences!

It's quite important and I would appreciate any help because the interpreter I was assigned never replied to me!!!

If one of you could kindly help me out I would be forever grateful!

The questions are below

Sincerely,
Tofer

1. How did you become an Interpreter?
2. How many years have you worked as an interpreter?
3. What certifications do you hold and how many years have you been certified?
4. Are you a freelance or staff Interpreter and in which settings do you primarily work?
5. How long did it take you to learn ASL and did you know anyone Deaf while growing up?
6. Did you participate in an interpreter training program (or attend college)?
7. What do you find most rewarding and most challenging about your job?
8. With respect to confidentiality, can you describe one of your worst or best experiences (or a funny story)?
9. Roughly how much do interpreters earn either hourly or yearly?
10. How many hours do you work on a weekly basis?
11. Have you experienced any travel opportunities as an Interpreter?
12. Have you found a need to relocate according to work opportunities?
13. Do you work another job aside from interpreting?
14. How did you prepare for the national certification exam?
15. How may the growing use of cochlear implants change the field of interpreting?

Thanks again!

interpreter

1. How did you become an Interpreter? I learned ASL in high school. I took four years then moved onto interpreting for the school board.
2. How many years have you worked as an interpreter? this is my fourth year
3. What certifications do you hold and how many years have you been certified? I hold a EIPA level 3 i have had for one year now
4. Are you a freelance or staff Interpreter and in which settings do you primarily work? I am a staff interpreter, i work for the school board. I have been placed at the elementary level
5. How long did it take you to learn ASL and did you know anyone Deaf while growing up? Like i said i took four years in high school. I am still learning to this day. always come along new signs or different ways of saying things. I never knew anybody growing up that was deaf.
6. Did you participate in an interpreter training program (or attend college)? I will be starting my interpreting program in Jan.
7. What do you find most rewarding and most challenging about your job? considering i work with deaf and hard of hearing kids what i find most rewarding is seeing the kids go from no language to being able to communicate fully. I love seeing a kids smile after they understood something that took them forever. It is really challenging because most of the kids that start at the elementary level have little but no language at all. They have to learn the basic words that the other hearing students already know.
8. With respect to confidentiality, can you describe one of your worst or best experiences (or a funny story)?
9. Roughly how much do interpreters earn either hourly or yearly? it depends on where and what you are doing, what levels you have, who you are interpreting for. varies all over
10. How many hours do you work on a weekly basis? 35
11. Have you experienced any travel opportunities as an Interpreter? No i have not.
12. Have you found a need to relocate according to work opportunities? no because i would for the school board.
13. Do you work another job aside from interpreting? I work as a science teacher at a Deaf and Hard of Hearing afterschool program. I also babysit 3 times a week.
14. How did you prepare for the national certification exam? I have not taken that exam yet.
15. How may the growing use of cochlear implants change the field of interpreting?

Back