Interpreter blunders

Once a fellow interpreter told me a great story about meeting a deaf couple for the first time. At the end of the conversation the deaf couple signed "nice to meet you". At the same time the terp was thinking "nice to see you" but signed "nice to meet you" using the two finger hand shape for "see" instead of one finger for "meet"... Her hands were in a more horizozntal position as well... You can figure out the rest!!!

I think this is the single most common blunder. I've heard this one so many times. :laugh2: Never gets old, though. :giggle:

My personal favorite interpreter mistake was during a meeting with some hospital executives to discuss the importance of interpreters for appointments in order to have effective access. It is law but they still need it explained...anyway...

I signed "SOON-HAVE-#GYNOCOLOGY#-APPOINTMENT". The interpreter was doing her thing and interrupted me for the fingerspelled word again. So, #GYNOCOLOGY# again but bit slower. Then she said something and interruped me again and asked for the last name again. I gave a look like she was nuts and once again slowly fingerspelled #GYNOCOLOGY#. She still looked lost so I fingerspelled it a few more times. After speechreading her to see what the heck she was doing and catching her saying "Dr. Gino Calauhy" I finally just spoke "Gynocology" myself. The interpreter (who has been working for something like 25 years) was super embarrased and I still make fun of her for it to this day. It was really funny.

:laugh2::laugh2:

I guess if a 4+ year old thread has to get bumped, this is a fun one. :)

Definately! I'd love to hear some more terp blunders as I'm sure I'll be making MILLIONS of them in future!

My name-sign is very similar to the sign for "autism", which was done on purpose because I have autism. My friend Miriam was trying to tell her Deaf client that I am very sensitive to noise because I have autism. Except, instead of signing "autism", she signed my name by accident! So she basically said "because she's Anna" !!

Back