Interior/Exterior Painting Questions

Y

Reaction score
Because my brother is already out of town,
I am in the middle of interior painting (inside)
I tried to paint myself and somehow
I noticed a few paint drops on the door
(Too late they are already harden up before
I can brush it off... ) I am using the
water based interior based and how can
I remove these paint drops ?

Another question#2, I will paint on the
Kitchen door (OUTSIDE, not inside)
I noticed that there were some
worn out old paint it looks like
some of them fell out from the weather...
Does this mean that I have to remove
some of the old paint first ? How ?

Because my brother is already out of town,
I am in the middle of interior painting (inside)
I tried to paint myself and somehow
I noticed a few paint drops on the door
(Too late they are already harden up before
I can brush it off... ) I am using the
water based interior based and how can
I remove these paint drops ?

Another question#2, I will paint on the
Kitchen door (OUTSIDE, not inside)
I noticed that there were some
worn out old paint it looks like
some of them fell out from the weather...
Does this mean that I have to remove
some of the old paint first ? How ?
To answer your second question, no, I don't think so, as long as you know what kind of paint is on the door--so you don't put the wrong type of paint on it! If you do know, take some sandpaper (250 grain works) and sand down the areas where the paint is chipping off...

To answer your second question, no, I don't think so, as long as you know what kind of paint is on the door--so you don't put the wrong type of paint on it! If you do know, take some sandpaper (250 grain works) and sand down the areas where the paint is chipping off...

My god Fyborg, you even know about painting, I remember once when we were painting my room, we did sandpaper it down though and chip the parts that didn't wanna come out, and then we repainted it with my current color, I think we painted my room twice, and the color is still strong and there!!

Kashveera

I am sure my DHB65 will give you a better tip! We painted inside the house and it looked AWESOME! I am waiting for my kitchen to be painted. Now we are debating over the COLOR! I wanted MUSTARD YELLOW (not too dark, not too bright just right in the middle between those colors) and he said EWWW! I am the one use the kitchen all the time not him! RME! :giggle:

I am sure my DHB65 will give you a better tip! We painted inside the house and it looked AWESOME! I am waiting for my kitchen to be painted. Now we are debating over the COLOR! I wanted MUSTARD YELLOW (not too dark, not too bright just right in the middle between those colors) and he said EWWW! I am the one use the kitchen all the time not him! RME! :giggle:

My mom's got a very soft yellow, its lovely and since our kitchen is where the sun is, it reflects and looks stunning, I wouldn't suggest yellow for a tv room!! My cousins' flat is mustard yellow all around and it doesn't go!!!

Kashveera

I know..my kitchen need bright up and it'll look nice. I also wanted red accents such as red plates, bowls, etc...sooo wait and see if we go for it or not.
My mom's got a very soft yellow, its lovely and since our kitchen is where the sun is, it reflects and looks stunning, I wouldn't suggest yellow for a tv room!! My cousins' flat is mustard yellow all around and it doesn't go!!!

Kashveera

Just tell DHB that I say that
color yellow is for the Rich only LOL

I grew up in Long Island NY where many mansions have
one room full of yellow not too bright not too dull
it happen to be the most cheerful room of
the entire estate because of the color.

Yellow color is most suitable for either Kitchen
and/or "Breakfast Room"

Real Estate marketing research showed that
most houses that has been sold must faster
with that color Yellow (exterior).

You WIN, LOL !

BUT, I am NOT sure which kind of "Mustard Yellow"
because they have different kinds of mustard yellow

Can you show exact color of mustard yellow ?

I tried to google it but it showed too many
different kinds of mustard yellow here:

"Mustard Yellow" - Google Image Search

that is about right color since it is not tooo bright or not too dark. Just right between.
I'll wait for DHB to wake up and make him GULPED! :giggle:
yellowvinyldiningchairs2.jpg
Just tell DHB that I say that
color yellow is for the Rich only LOL

I grew up in Long Island NY where many mansions have
one room full of yellow not too bright not too dull
it happen to be the most cheerful room of
the entire estate because of the color.

Yellow color is most suitable for either Kitchen
and/or "Breakfast Room"

Real Estate marketing research showed that
most houses that has been sold must faster
with that color Yellow (exterior).

You WIN, LOL !

BUT, I am NOT sure which kind of "Mustard Yellow"
because they have different kinds of mustard yellow

Can you show exact color of mustard yellow ?

I tried to google it but it showed too many
different kinds of mustard yellow here:

"Mustard Yellow" - Google Image Search

My god Fyborg, you even know about painting, I remember once when we were painting my room, we did sandpaper it down though and chip the parts that didn't wanna come out, and then we repainted it with my current color, I think we painted my room twice, and the color is still strong and there!!

Kashveera

It comes from moving almost every year for ten years, and then living in a 40-year old house!

You should've primed the room first!

I've done numerous of painting jobs over the years and currently painting the exterior of our home. You mentioned cracked and peeled old paint, that needs to be removed by using a scraper. Scrape away all old peeling paint, otherwise if you paint over it, it won't last long, it will just peel off much sooner than the duration of the new paint is suppose to last. Once scraping old paint away, then take a primer, an oil-based primer is much better than a water-based primer as the primer will sink into the wood/material. Most oil-based primer paint quickly dries and painting the desired color over it usually at least a hour later...while housepaint or exterior paint usually requires up to 72 hours to cure.

As for the color you mentioned for your kitchen, a medium yellow, one that's not so bright or very dull...yellow and even orange colors are coming back in raves. Several years ago, I helped someone pick out a certain orange shade setting against a metallic marbled grey with black specks countertop, with black borders, space beneath cupboards set in both black with some trim set in a metallic grey tone--cupboards were set in an entirely different color, yet matching the over-all color scheme/tone of the kitchen. Even new 'rail' lightings were installed giving the kitchen much more appeal--not even hinting that it's a lady's domain, but creating this all whereas others will readily appreciate the sort of mood the kitchen gave off. ;)

Good luck-- :)

~RR

oops, duplicate copy (i cannot delete this...so
hopefully one of these MODs will remove this
for me )

ah thanks Roadrunner for reminding me
about the oil-based primer I just finished
sanding the entire door trim outside but
it looks like I need to go back to the
Home Depot again for that primer and
I assume that you probably meant Kilz (Right ?)

Oh, that yellow color was for Lake Tahoe
But, my kitchen is very plain and simple
maybe Boring... (off white with oak wood trim)

My kitchen is boring now but I wanted to repaint the walls.
We'll see hee!

ah thanks Roadrunner for reminding me
about the oil-based primer I just finished
sanding the entire door trim outside but
it looks like I need to go back to the
Home Depot again for that primer and
I assume that you probably meant Kilz (Right ?)

Oh, that yellow color was for Lake Tahoe
But, my kitchen is very plain and simple
maybe Boring... (off white with oak wood trim)

I've done numerous of painting jobs over the years and currently painting the exterior of our home. You mentioned cracked and peeled old paint, that needs to be removed by using a scraper. Scrape away all old peeling paint, otherwise if you paint over it, it won't last long, it will just peel off much sooner than the duration of the new paint is suppose to last. Once scraping old paint away, then take a primer, an oil-based primer is much better than a water-based primer as the primer will sink into the wood/material. Most oil-based primer paint quickly dries and painting the desired color over it usually at least a hour later...while housepaint or exterior paint usually requires up to 72 hours to cure.

~RR

Two more questions here:

Question#1:
I wonder if it is okay to use oil-based primer first
and then use "water based paint" over it ?

Question#2:
And, how long should I wait for the next 2nd coat
especially on the water based paint (satin and
also semi-gloss) ??

Hmm, I always thought that water based paint
dries much faster than these oil based paint.

I feel like an idiot because I still can NOT even
identify which one has better quality
"water based paint" vs "oil based paint"

Back