interesting upcoming episode of Scrubs

Well that sucks I missed that episode. :ugh3:

I hope it repeats though. :fingersx:

Haha. I think that episode bummed me out more than anything. You really can't help but feel sorry for the father after JD and Turk went behind his back.

Okay, I know this is ollllld but I only just saw the episode.

Wow. Sucked. Not because I'm against CIs, but it just didn't ring true at all. And yes I know it's a sitcom, but when Scrubs isn't doing the fantasy thing, they do often come up with realistic scenarios. I think this was clearly written by someone who knew just a little bit about CIs and had no input from anyone in the deaf community. As mentioned, the process of getting the kid the operation was not at all realistic and how is J.D. qualified to just look at the chart and figure out that the boy was a candidate? He's not an audiologist.

And culturally it was just weird. The father is obviously Deaf and just caves when a couple of doctors push him on the issue? Ridiculous.

They made it seem like getting a CI is some kind of lifesaving operation that it is simply medically wrong not to approve for your child (even going so far as to suggest it's child abuse NOT to implant your child). I don't think the writers did much research into the subject whatsoever.

I watched this right after seeing the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode about the deaf activists and I have to say, major kudos to NBC for employing so many d/Deaf actors and signers...but do they ever need to work on their scripts.

My friend was telling me about it. She was pissed off about that episode.

Okay, I know this is ollllld but I only just saw the episode.

Wow. Sucked. Not because I'm against CIs, but it just didn't ring true at all. And yes I know it's a sitcom, but when Scrubs isn't doing the fantasy thing, they do often come up with realistic scenarios. I think this was clearly written by someone who knew just a little bit about CIs and had no input from anyone in the deaf community. As mentioned, the process of getting the kid the operation was not at all realistic and how is J.D. qualified to just look at the chart and figure out that the boy was a candidate? He's not an audiologist.

And culturally it was just weird. The father is obviously Deaf and just caves when a couple of doctors push him on the issue? Ridiculous.

They made it seem like getting a CI is some kind of lifesaving operation that it is simply medically wrong not to approve for your child (even going so far as to suggest it's child abuse NOT to implant your child). I don't think the writers did much research into the subject whatsoever.

I watched this right after seeing the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode about the deaf activists and I have to say, major kudos to NBC for employing so many d/Deaf actors and signers...but do they ever need to work on their scripts.

I was really pissed off by this episode. Scrubs is one of my all time favorite shows, and they really disappointed me. They acted as if a CI was going to be like a pair of glasses. "voila, perfect hearing! The kid is "fixed" "

Last edited:
I was really pissed off by this episode. Scrubs is one of my all time favorite shows, and they really disappointed me. They acted as if a CI was going to be like a pair of glasses. "voila, perfect hearing! The kid is "fixed" "

Actually, I think it was supposed to show you how ignorant the doctors were being. That's the thing, they're always doing outrageous things to their patients and this was no exception.

The father called them idiots in the end. :)

Actually, I think it was supposed to show you how ignorant the doctors were being. That's the thing, they're always doing outrageous things to their patients and this was no exception.

I would love to think that (seriously you don't know how much I love scrubs, hate most of TV), but the show has never had a problem with the characters realizing that they were being ignorant, selfish, judgemental, etc. If anything I took the episode like they were trying to show how understanding JD and Turk were. "hey look at this poor deaf father, he must feel so isolated from the world since he can't hear, that he would rather "abuse" (and they did allude to that) his son by keeping him "imperfect". "

Ok, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I expect better from that show. Oh what the hell am I talking about, they killed off Nurse Roberts. BAH! I'm done with the show. lol

He called them idiots in the middle. In the end they showed that he "saw the right thing to do for his son," proving the doctors were right after all. Totally unrealistic; deaf people who are against CIs don't go changing their views just because some doctor says so, and I would imagine especially not if they go behind his back to get the mother's consent.

I had the misfortune of seeing that particular episode, and I fully agree- it sucked. I own a few seasons of scrubs on dvd, and I have to say, I'm no longer so excited about doing that ever again.

i dont watch this show on scrubs but i watch grey's anthomy on ABC

He called them idiots in the middle. In the end they showed that he "saw the right thing to do for his son," proving the doctors were right after all. Totally unrealistic; deaf people who are against CIs don't go changing their views just because some doctor says so, and I would imagine especially not if they go behind his back to get the mother's consent.

I have the episode right here...

The father did call them idiots in the end.

I have the episode right here...

The father did call them idiots in the end.

Okay, what was the context? Was it about making his son have a CI? I seem to remember he called them idiots because they were acting in their usual idiotic way but the "take away" from the show was that they had done a good thing and shown the dad the light, so to speak.

I had the misfortune of seeing that particular episode, and I fully agree- it sucked. I own a few seasons of scrubs on dvd, and I have to say, I'm no longer so excited about doing that ever again.

The first couple seasons are amazing. Just brilliant. They are almost as brilliant as the BBC "the Office". But now I will watch former seasons looking for topics that I lauhed at, but didn't realize how ingnorant I was being by doing so.

Sigh, my 30 minutes of mindless fun is tainted.

Back