Interesting Trend in NY

Gobae

Reaction score
I was reading the "Interpreter Denied by Court" thread and it reminded me of the new rules they have for jury duty in NYS.

I appeared for jury duty a couple of weeks ago and sometime in the past 4 years (since I last had to go) they've made it so you're automatically disqualified if you don't speak/understand English. I wonder if this is so they don't have to pay ASL interpreters, or if it's really a reflection of not wanting to deal with an increasing immigrant population.

It's usually the money. The court doesn't want to pay for terps.

I don't think this is true. I was served Jury duty twice, and they don't give excuse based on deafness. They will provide interpreter and your MUST show up, period! This happens to LakeTahoe too!

I was reading the "Interpreter Denied by Court" thread and it reminded me of the new rules they have for jury duty in NYS.

I appeared for jury duty a couple of weeks ago and sometime in the past 4 years (since I last had to go) they've made it so you're automatically disqualified if you don't speak/understand English. I wonder if this is so they don't have to pay ASL interpreters, or if it's really a reflection of not wanting to deal with an increasing immigrant population.

I don't think this is true. I was served Jury duty twice, and they don't give excuse based on deafness. They will provide interpreter and your MUST show up, period! This happens to LakeTahoe too!
I guess it depends on the state. My deaf friend was summoned for jury duty, and he wanted to serve but they wouldn't let him. The Clerk of Court said that they automatically dismiss anyone deaf.

I got called up for jury duty 2 different times. Both times, I was not chosen. The lawyers do not have to give a reason, remember? So it is pretty tough to actually get onto a jury if you are deaf. I enjoyed myself tho and they imported 2 interpreters from another large town, they took turns and it was a very good experience!

I don't think this is true. I was served Jury duty twice, and they don't give excuse based on deafness.

Ahh, but here's the tricky thing. Notice they don't excuse someone for being DEAF, they excuse them for not speaking ENGLISH.

It's the same thing with the EMT/Paramedic requirements in NYS; "cadidates [for the EMT program] must be able to communicate with the hospital via radio in English"

They probably can't excuse them for being Deaf, because that would cause ADA problems. So, they use language instead.

Ahh, but here's the tricky thing. Notice they don't excuse someone for being DEAF, they excuse them for not speaking ENGLISH.

It's the same thing with the EMT/Paramedic requirements in NYS; "cadidates [for the EMT program] must be able to communicate with the hospital via radio in English"

They probably can't excuse them for being Deaf, because that would cause ADA problems. So, they use language instead.
Interesting - I know there was a deaf EMT once, he wrote a book called "Silent Alarm" but I don't remember where he was located.

We had a HOH person get her EMT cert and ride our Ambulance. She could use the radio ok, but had to get BP's by palpation since she couldn't hear them with the stethoscope. Although the NYS EMT exam does take points away for not using the stethoscope, fortunately for her it's not an automatic failure like some other areas.

Deaf or hearing it's hard to get on a jury you can be dismised for haveing blue eiys or even looking smart.

I have been called for the jury selection. I went up to the desk and presented myself that I am here, and I am a hearing impaired person, they said I do not have to stay. I am assuming that they felt that it would not be worthy for me to stay without an interpreter.

We had a HOH person get her EMT cert and ride our Ambulance. She could use the radio ok, but had to get BP's by palpation since she couldn't hear them with the stethoscope. Although the NYS EMT exam does take points away for not using the stethoscope, fortunately for her it's not an automatic failure like some other areas.
From the newsroom of the WCAU-TV, Channel 10 News, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Tuesday, October 3, 2006 .....

Deaf Man To Become Firefighter In Delaware County

LINWOOD, Pa. -- Twenty-year-old Matthew O'Brien will be sworn in October 10th as the first deaf volunteer of the Lower Chichester Fire Company, Station 39, in Delaware County. O'Brien will be one of about 15 known deaf firefighters in the nation.

Matthew has attended the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in Philadelphia since he was two. He completed his high school requirements in 2004 and will finish his vocational training program next June. As part of his curriculum, he has worked at various Philadelphia fire stations, mopping floors and doing other chores.

Matthew submitted an application to join Lower Chichester Fire Company several months ago, and Lower Chichester Fire Chief Mike Murray says it was approved in late July.
Murray says Matthew won't be allowed to go into burning buildings or ride the fire trucks for now -- unless the fire company gets someone who knows sign language.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

In California, the Deaf people do get summoned just like everybody else. and ASL intepreters will be provided. California's jury duty do not discriminate.

I got summoned twice. Forunately, my classes and job prevented me from doing it. (I am not up to give up two weeks of my life to this duty just yet.)

I was summoned to Jury duty many years ago and called via relay. They said not to worry about coming in and that they'd cross my name off the list.

Back