Interesting thought.

BearBeauty

Reaction score
I just had an interesting thought today.... Please tell me what you guys think, ok? This is a what if? question.. I just thought I'd ask...

What if the tables were turned... meaning.. what if Deafness was considered Normal, and being hearing was considered a disability? How do you think that would work?

What Issues do you think would be brought up?

I'm just curious of everyone's opinion...

I think a deaf person wrote and published a book about that. I cant remember the title. Someone told me about it 5 years ago and that I should read it but I kept forgetting. I tried googling it and cant find it. HMMMM...maybe I am wrong that such a book has been published?

i have no idea.. the thought just came into my head today as I was reading the CI thread...

I think I'd be the Mayor of Cinncinnati! Lol!

I'd bitch and moan all the time about my interpreters. :giggle:

There will be no interpreters for hearing people cuz they can easily learn and acquire sign language. CODAs r the proof of that..right?

I just had an interesting thought today.... Please tell me what you guys think, ok? This is a what if? question.. I just thought I'd ask...

What if the tables were turned... meaning.. what if Deafness was considered Normal, and being hearing was considered a disability? How do you think that would work?

What makes this a weird statement is the fact that the hearing person could easily learn to do sign and nobody be the wiser. The only difference is that he could hear all the things that the deaf couldn't especially those currently socially unacceptable noises. :whistle:

Otherwise, this is an interesting premise...

There will be no interpreters for hearing people cuz they can easily learn and acquire sign language. CODAs r the proof of that..right?

I was mostly joking. sr171soars is right, it's not like everything would just be reversed.

There would probably be interpreters for the blind, though.

That is exactly the situation in the Martha's Vineyard communicty years ago. And the feeling I used to get as I walked the halls of my son's Deaf school.

Last edited:
At least, over billion deafs are use sign language and I can learn it from school. And people insult as smart and they're retard. *shurg*

I don't think.....

I honestly don't think being hearing would be considered as a disability in a deaf dominanted world cuz as long as there are no other conditions, hearing people can adapt to deaf devices like the strobe lights, ttys, VP, and sign language. So, there would be no need for special education for hearing people. :dunno:

It would not happen. first of all, If you look at natural selection in science, A deaf person can not hear danger, therefore they are more likely to die. My one deaf great aunt and her roommate from spokane died in a fire in a retirement center. The alarm went off,and the door opened, but they slept through the alarm. If they were hearing, they would have survived. We rely on hearing people to survive because a hearing person can hear danger. We also rely on technologies too by the help of hearing people (They helped us become sucessful by education, ASL, etc. Because of this, we can create our own technologies if we wanted to)

Hahahaha, Terpretator!

Ummm, hearing people, for your SSI benefits, go down the hall here in AD three doors down on the left side, there's a ficus plant next to the door, go in and see Nutty for assistance.

Back