Interesting stats

R2D2

Reaction score
On children with CIs and how they are educated post implant. It's a pdf file so obviously you will need acrobat to read it.

http://clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/CIEC/conf-presentationsA.ppt

Some excerpts: (hope I'm not breaking copyright!)

Interviews showed that most parents of children with implants did not jump into the decision to get an implant for their child. Many parents went through a lot of soul searching before deciding to go ahead.

Reasons for getting the implant included:
Safety (GRI: 25%) “… if he could hear a car coming, and he’s riding his bike …we felt that it was just another option for him .. we never planned on him becoming only oral, because he already was using sign language so well. His language was fine....We just wanted to make...his life with other people outside of school and his immediate family a little easier.”
The opportunity to learn spoken language (GRI: 52%)
Having more “options” in the future

Classmate characteristics:
Deaf 32%
Hearing 30%
Both 38%

Current mode of communication:
Speech 51%
Sign 4%
Speech and Sign 43%

Very few parents noted psychological difficulties after implantation.
When difficulties occurred, these were related to being implanted during adolescence when not willing.

Er...it is a power point presentation not a PDF.... :whistle:

Nice balanced view of some issues with CIs.

Yep, it's a PowerPoint presentation. Interesting presentation. :)

From the GRI study (con’t)

Special support services the implanted child currently receives in school:

Sign language interpreting 40%
Teacher aide in the classroom 37%
Resource room help 28%
Media captioning (closed/real time) 24%
Itinerant teacher support 22%
Remedial work/tutoring 17%
Classroom amplification 16%
Personal assistive device 15%
Oral interpreter 13%

I wonder why CI kids need ASL interpreters....

Implanted child’s interaction with hearing children at school:

Almost never 6%
Very little 11%
Fairly often 23%
All opportunities 52%

That does not help much for CI students to socialize with regular classmates...

“Greatest advantages” of using a CI in “the school or other instructional setting” (illustrative responses):
Awareness of sounds, hearing music, hearing language, better classroom participation, better communication, hearing the teacher more easily.

That's good news.

“Most frustrating things” about using a CI in…
Lack of others’ understanding that a CI does not make the child fully hearing, background noise is a problem, hard to hear in a big group, rechargeable batteries do not last a full day, kids can be heartless at times, sometimes the headpiece falls off.

What happened? Same results for HH students. Nothing seems to improve in the educational program. The teachers probably would tell hush to the regular students for the sake of CI kids...

Overall post-implant satisfaction
Most parents of children with implants were generally pleased with the results and would like to have been able to implant their child earlier.
From the GRI study:

62% of the parents wish they could have gotten their child implanted earlier as it would have better facilitated spoken language.
After the first year with the CI, 54% were very satisfied with their child’s progress.
At the present time, 67% said they were “very satisfied.”

You never know if small numerous parents can lie that their CI kids can hear very well. Keep in mind that the parents always protect their kids. Moreover, they would never give negative remarks on them.

One parent said: “It’s just definitely been a miracle for us in all the ways that it could be....It’s not perfect, life is not perfect, it doesn’t work that way....Did I expect he would be finishing first grade and doing what he’s doing? I mean he just finished first grade, he just turned seven...no, I didn’t expect any of these things.”

However, one of the parent asserted honestly. "Life is not perfect", that is right.

But not all parents are satisfied
The mother of a boy implanted when he was a teenager said that the implant: “Failed to meet my expectations.”

Father: “Mine, too.”

Interviewer: “What exactly did you expect?”

Mother: “I expected him to grow to love it like he liked his hearing aids, and being better than the hearing aids.”

Father: “I expected he would have speech, improved speech, more speech.”

Interviewer: “Is there any way that it met your expectations?”

Father: “Just that it brought his hearing up to a mild to moderate loss from a profound [loss].”

Mother: “But, just because he can hear the sounds does not mean that he understands.”

General consensus: Implantation in adolescence is not ideal unless the adolescent is very motivated.

CI son would need an ASL interpreter.

Mookie said:
I wonder why CI kids need ASL interpreters....

There are always different levels of outcomes no matter what. It basically means that there are no guarantees in life. They probably get the environmental noises decently but understanding speech is a whole another thing. Same is true of those just using HAs...no mystery there.

sr171soars said:
There are always different levels of outcomes no matter what. It basically means that there are no guarantees in life. They probably get the environmental noises decently but understanding speech is a whole another thing. Same is true of those just using HAs...no mystery there.

Yeah, I am aware of that. There is always 50/50 chance to hear excellent sound

Mookie said:
That does not help much for CI students to socialize with regular classmates...

Ever heard of shy or introverted kids? Any kid who has a propensity for this and add a CI could make it more problematical. The fact that 75% socialize is a good figure. The other may have additional issues including the introverted types.

sr171soars said:
Ever heard of shy or introverted kids? Any kid who has a propensity for this and add a CI could make it more problematical. The fact that 75% socialize is a good figure. The other may have additional issues including the introverted types.

Keep in mind that GRA* only collected 24% from the parents. What happened to other 76% results? 442 out of 1841 Parents answered the questionaires.

Something is wrong....

(*Page 9)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie said:
Keep in mind that GRA only collected 24% from the parents. What happened to other 76% results? Something is wrong....

How may surveys have you been asked to fill out and you not returned it? Some people can't be bothered no matter what. This is every statistician's nightmare.

I had a VP chat with a friend of mine who was just implanted last year. He said he had to train all over again to understand the signals CI sends to his brain. He said it's so different than hearing aids that he needed to use one of his hearing aids at the same time to identify sounds. Now he relies 100% on his CI.

He said he wishes he got CI when he was a kid in the same conversation.

Fragmenter said:
I had a VP chat with a friend of mine who was just implanted last year. He said he had to train all over again to understand the signals CI sends to his brain. He said it's so different than hearing aids that he needed to use one of his hearing aids at the same time to identify sounds. Now he relies 100% on his CI.

He said he wishes he got CI when he was a kid in the same conversation.

That sounds like a similiar story. Maybe you may need to see that film.

AT FIRST SIGHT is the story of a young woman architect who falls in love with a blind man. She encourages him to undergo a radical operation to restore his sight, but ultimately his truest vision comes from the love he finds in his heart.
SIGHTUNS-box_full_dvd.jpg

Fragmenter said:
Seen it at the theater and I grade it at C+

Maybe you were too bored because of no OC, and later your hands were too busy with your date....

lol it was one of the first OC movies in the area but yeah I was busy with my date

Back