Interesting experience last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I slash your tires will you sue me for doing something "wrong" or will you let my argument of "right or wrong is relative, perhaps I did him a favor your honor by preventing him from driving that day"?

Oh wait....that'd be an exception, right???

A non sequitur here. Stay on track here.

We're talking about the concept of "rudeness" in a deaf setting by which you went completely unhinged over FJ's story.

The idea is communication, yes??????

So what's the difference if someone writes it on a board and gets a response or writes in a computer and gets a response?

You don't like the analogy because it contradicts your feeling on the original position.

drop it, you don't know how hard for deaf people to access spoken language, even written language because they can't hear well. they spend years working hard on speaking and writing english FOR HEARING PEOPLE since they were babies and some of them still aren't fluent in written or spoken (they are still learning to listen instead of listening to learn). They could just use ASL and interpreter (like a family member) and nothing else. But no, they made sure they learned English rather it is spoken or written. If they worked so hard on it, let them use it if that's what they preferred. I'm talking about both writing and speaking. This mother made sure she learned to write well so she can communicate with people this way. So in a way deaf culture is different from other languages.

someone's way of arguing here is so reminding me of my ex's girlfriend whom I get into contant fights with. It feels like she is here on AD...ugh

After 7 pages I'm still in the middle....

Perhaps the 15 yo saw writing as mutually difficult. Maybe she thought ASL would be easier than writing for the deaf person as well. :dunno:

I know I am glad I had people willing to translate at NSAD. No one seemed to mind.

I only had 3 nasty encounters is 3 days

After 7 pages I'm still in the middle....

Perhaps the 15 yo saw writing as mutually difficult. Maybe she thought ASL would be easier than writing for the deaf person as well. :dunno:

I know I am glad I had people willing to translate at NSAD. No one seemed to mind.

I only had 3 nasty encounters is 3 days

Making note to just stay home.

Making note to just stay home.

No I meant with deafies.....:lol:

2 people said the exact same thing.....They were signing to me while I was alone. I replied I don't sign yet. Then both said "Then why are you here"?

The third situation was similar but she just pointed to her t-shirt which on the front said "Got ASL" and on the back said "Because your words mean nothing to me"

Rain, now instead of arguing that I was rude, you seem to be saying that Deaf culture does not exsist...(because culturally what I did was not being viewed as rude) I assume that was not your goal, so would you like to explain?

2 people said the exact same thing.....They were signing to me while I was alone. I replied I don't sign yet. Then both said "Then why are you here"?

The third situation was similar but she just pointed to her t-shirt which on the front said "Got ASL" and on the back said "Because your words mean nothing to me"

You know how we had that discussion awhile back about "English motherfucker, speak it in the USA."?
This is a replica of that example, only that it is the deaf world.

You know how we had that discussion awhile back about "English motherfucker, speak it in the USA."?
This is a replica of that example, only that it is the deaf world.

That's a good point. :hmm:

Yeah, that stuff happens. I've had it happen to me as well. It's not a Deaf thing; it's a Human Being thing. As you learn to sign and become more accustomed to Deaf ways, you understand the situation that FJ was in better and be able to put it in the appropriate perspective. No worries though; in Chicago, nobody will treat you like that. Promise! :cheers:

Yeah, that stuff happens. I've had it happen to me as well. It's not a Deaf thing; it's a Human Being thing. As you learn to sign and become more accustomed to Deaf ways, you understand the situation that FJ was in better and be able to put it in the appropriate perspective. No worries though; in Chicago, nobody will treat you like that. Promise! :cheers:

Looking forward to it.!

I knew it wasn't a deaf thing just people being people.

Exactly, what is your background, Rain?

What is the relevance?

Rain, now instead of arguing that I was rude, you seem to be saying that Deaf culture does not exsist...(because culturally what I did was not being viewed as rude) I assume that was not your goal, so would you like to explain?

So you want me to respond to something I never said but you assumed?

As a hearie you seem to be using 'deaf culture' as a scapegoat for your personality issues. I couldn't care less who agrees with you, the bandwagon is rolling along nicely, what I'm telling you is (from the observation of someone on the outside) is you come across as a snob.

So the logic is this, when I learn sign and someone asks me to interpret for someone else, I respond by rolling my eyes and snickering?

yeah...not in this lifetime

I still did not see where FJ said she "rolled her eyes". She said she and the deaf mom laughed. How do you know they laughed while the 15 y/o was there? Maybe they laughed after she left. If they laughed while she was still there, it wasn't necessarily a derogatory laugh, merely just laughter from a good time. If the arrangements were made at the beginning that the servers/host was supposed to write out the notes on the board, she should have just kept on doing that and not bothered one of the invited guests to play interpreter.

FJ was right in this instance in not doing it. I don's see where she was wrong in what she did.

It just doesnt apply to hearing people only..it can apply to deaf people who have good speech skills. I have had customer service employees talk to me saying stuff like "Can you tell him or her ....." about my deaf friends who dont have good speech skills. I tell them you can write it to them on paper. I refuse to take over interpreting all because the employers dont want to write or use gestures with my deaf friends. Also, there is the issue if I take over, the chances of misunderstandings increase than writing on paper and pen. It is interesting that most hearing people dont realize that.

It just doesnt apply to hearing people only..it can apply to deaf people who have good speech skills. I have had customer service employees talk to me saying stuff like "Can you tell him or her ....." about my deaf friends who dont have good speech skills. I tell them you can write it to them on paper. I refuse to take over interpreting all because the employers dont want to write or use gestures with my deaf friends. Also, there is the issue if I take over, the chances of misunderstandings increase than writing on paper and pen. It is interesting that most hearing people dont realize that.

I was gonna say basically the same thing, Shel....So many, many times I've been asked to tell another deafie something another hearie was saying becuz my speech is "understandable"...and they didn't
"want to write" it. Even before the VP's and other technology came along, I was asked by many deafies who did not have good English to make phone calls for them....

Today's deafies are more than capable of taking care of their own business.... and what FJ did was the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back