Interested in learning more about deaf community

stephemt388

Reaction score
Hello.
My name is Stephanie and I came across this site while doing some research for school. As a core requirement at my college I am enrolled in "Orientation to Deafness". It is a very basic sign class that is designed to teach the basics and to better understand this culture. One of our projects we have to do is keep a journal of activities outside of class having to do with deafness. This could be... watching a closed captioned movie, going to a deaf club, attending a function where we watched the interpreter,etc. Well, I thought it would be interesting to join an online chat so I could get some more insight into this project and perhaps get some ideas on things that I can do for my project. I would appreciate any feedback. Hope everyone is well... and have a wonderful day!!!!!

Hi Stephanie,

Feel free to chat with any of us about whatever you'd like. This is a very friendly place...we do have a few exceptions, but you'll find those out for yourself. ;) Anyway, welcome and have fun! ;)

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Hello Stephanie--Welcome to the world of AllDeaf.com where reading and posting in here can be fun and interesting!

It's nice to see others take interest in our own culture even if it's through a requirement or course study in school, college, etc...but eventually whatever is learned may benefit you later on when associated with other Deaf/Hoh people....

Here's a couple of suggestions that perhaps you could consider for your project which you've inquired upon and here's two:

1-- Learn fingerspelling, first learn how each alphabet letter is signed and gradually fingerspell words...it's a great way to start when communicating with another Deaf person who relies solely upon sign-language and it'll sure make their day... :thumb:

2-- Try plugging up your ears for one day...go about your day as usual but without the benefit of hearing anything and I'm sure you will be able to make out a report from all you've experienced while not hearing anything...i.e., as you watch T.V., set it up where you can use captions and turn down the sound, try ordering food from a drive-thru without hearing them, I'm sure there are many other ways you'll be able to make out a great report based upon your experiences from going a day without hearing sounds! ;)

Back