Instead Sign Language Interpreter, will PowerPoint Typing Keyboarding Interpreter ???

sweet4u618

Reaction score
hello everyone... I have a question if anyone ever thought of that... instead of interpreter... Will there be a possible to have PowerPoint overhead to the board, while the interpreter don't use signs and only typing keyboarding so will powerpoint be able to video motion while interpreter typing for deaf to read on the board? typing is faster than sign language if interpreter rather typing than signs to hurt like arthitis hurt elbow or hands????? my big question is will there be a technology or already is that powerpoint do have video overhead to the board than lecture notes???????? plus more daydreaming or eyestraining to sign language than to read typing words from interpreter who type powerpoint w/kybord that might be better for your eyes just like c.c. on tv????

Last edited:
Well, typing surely does not go any faster than sign language. Also length of time typing tend to cause the arthritis condition more than anything else.

My date who works as interpreter as a part-time job, she don't have any problem with hurt elbow or hands when interpreting for certain length of time. *shrugs* I think it is based on individual. About daydreaming or eyestraining, I rarely have that problem as well but I sometimes went daydreaming when teacher is writing something on the board. So it is not much different between interpreting thru sign language and PP.

As my friend suggested me a while ago, if I frequently have eyestrain or daydream in the classroom, I can always walk out for few mins to wash my face then come in. It will do the trick. Also sleep more tend to cure these problems.

Anyway your idea does appealing to me, I believe it is quite cool because it will be more easier for me to notetaking than I can do for sign language-interpreting during classtime. That's a PLUS for me.

Hi, we already have technologies like that. Are you looking for something like that for your lectures? They don't use keyboards. That takes forever, but a Court Reporter uses a Stenographer which makes it easy.

This is a technology called Communication Access Realtime Captioning (CART). It's a stenographer that is used like those in the court. Sometimes these people do work in court at other times! :) The stenographer is hooked to a laptop. There's other ways, but usually is a laptop for college. They type how they hear words phonetically, then it's transferred to the laptop into English words. It's REALLY cool. They sit near you, but they aren't really like an interpreter because mostly they focus on hearing and typing. They are only a few seconds behind as they hear and type. There are a few times where words are messed up, but you usually find out what it is as you read along or ask the captioner to tell you or type it up for you. I really like it. I can write up notes sometimes at home or you can type them and highlight important passages. They print it out for you or they e-mail you the notes. You use it however you want. Usually, I had a notetaker because many professors vary in how fast they are speaking, etc, etc. Then I would take the notes of the notetaker and go through the notes to add more notes missed and highlight important stuff. Some notetakers really suck. It's not easy finding a really good one in the beginning when you miss part of the stuff. That's why it's important to read your books and the notes. It's like a backup.

I really liked it. You should ask your disability office in college to request it. Try one class and see how you like it. I didn't think it helped with College Algebra at all, so I went alone, listened and read my textbooks before class. That helps a lot to prepare you.

Oh, and I don't find reading straining or hard on the eyes. Even I had times where I wanted to look elsewhere besides interpreter or daydream like other kids. It happens usually for lack of sleep or real boredom. It's normal, don't worry. I think you can ask them to make it bigger for you if you need to. They usually use MSWord, so it's possible to change the size of the font. I have had 2 with old fashioned programs and even a really old laptop from like the 90's or something. I had one that was really rare. They have this thing where you hook it up and the person talks into a 'cup' which translate like speech-to-text. I find that one made a little more mistakes than other ones. It wasn't so bad, but I think it's not used so often as of yet.

I think CART is an excellant alternative for deaf/hoh users who have good reading skills and extensive English vocabularies.

However, if the English and vocabulary level of the Deaf audience user is not equal to the language being used in the presentation, it might not be adequate for full understanding. Also, depending on the presentation topic, there is no "feeling" in CART, so a highly emotional or entertaining presentation may lose much of the impact.

Much depends on the topic and setting.

Magatsu, your terp girlfriend can probably back up this statement,

hi i am glad to hear that it may help with reading english but other way one of u said that sometimes still hard time to understand with impact etc. if it is hard classes like american government i was so lost there one and dropped out in that class. cuz i was not prepared with syllabus plus there was two books i was so confused about and i should have got tutor but kinda little late middle of semester anyway. hard classes may save interpreter time to catch lecture up cuz interpreter said that lecture was speaking fast and but i will take two classes employment strategy and keyboarding II this spring so i don't need stenographer for that time cuz both are easy class. then one more left this summer or fall. im glad to hear about court stenographer. yeah i see hearing people use laptop on lawyer tables or whatever too just like Judge Amy tv show lol. CART I never heard about it so i will find out more info about CART and stenographer later on from gf. or so ok thx for opinions and news. winky winky

I agree!

Having an interpreter typing using a keyboard with powerpoint is very slow, and the deaf person sometimes has to starin to see the screen.
Sign language is much faster, and alot eaiser to understand.
Margie
I'm an interpreter myself.

Margie said:
Sign language is much faster, and alot eaiser to understand.

That totally depends on the client. Obviously the person who posted does not feel that way.

sweet4u618, interpreters are there to use sign language, but there are other technologies llike CART as someone has mentioned. Before I was an interpreter I did Typewell, which is something you should find out about. Typewell uses two laptop PCs that are connected wirelessly. The deaf client(s) have one and the typist has the other. The typist uses a special set of abbreviations that lets her keep up with a speaker pretty easily. I am a fast typist to begin with but with the special software in Typewell I could type a lecture word-for-word, and the deaf person can watch it happen on their own screen. It's a little different than CART or real-time captioning but these are all good options if you would prefer English to sign.

I've used CART/Typewell in a college lecture environment for the past 3 years. The "lag time" of CART is only a matter of seconds, so there isn't a significant delay between what is spoken and what is typed. In my case, my captionist's laptop is connected to my Braille PDA with a serial cable. Her laptop is equipped with a screen reader which sends all information to my Braille display where it can be read. I've found CART to be helpful for many reasons including the fact that I have all lecture information (vocabulary, assignments, etc.) presented in text form which makes studying easier. One of the things to be aware of with CART, however, is that transcripts can be as many as 20-30 pages long for a one hour lecture and over 40 pages for a 2 hour lecture. If you're going to use CART, make sure to review your transcripts regularly or make your own notes. :)

Back