Innocent "Deaf Quote" - Offensive to Hearing People?

Nancy

Reaction score
"I'm Not Deaf, I'm Just Ignoring You".

Yep, you read right.....I'm wondering why this "humorous" quip is offensive to hearing people. It doesn't bother me a bit, because I laugh at myself sometimes, even though I am deaf. I didn't take it as being "offensive to the deaf" or to the hearing.
Heck, when I was younger, I had a DOORKNOB SIGN that says this same quote...my mother just laughed because she can see the humor in it. But other hearing people took offense in it.
Care to explain why? :)

Oh. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that quote.

I have seen stickers like that on hearing people's car bumpers. :)

Hmmm.. this isnt offensive to me, and im hearing.. I dont know why it would be.. :dunno:

im hearing, i dont find it offensive at all.

Well the quote is kind of stupid and immature, you will have to agree.

its not offensive to my family.. they know the way i am.. especially when i have my hearing aid on.. and i ignored them? my family would tell people that quote .. lol and they would laugh.. they found it humorous in the quote.. hmm.... thats very interesting..

:mrgreen: I think that quote is funny!!! I am hearing, and it doesn't bother me either. I have seen it on car bumpers and get a kick out of it.

i really dont even see how it can possibly be offensive. is there anyone in here that is offended by it? and why? whats the reason for feeling as such?

i have it

i have a bunch of stickers with that.most people like it..a few do not get it....untill they find out i am deaf.
i have a t-shirt with that on the back..and i wear it when i out run the DC cops.

Well, I had that quote on my screensaver, and I was told it is offensive (concering my hearing loss)....so I was told to take it off. I told her I didn't mean anything by it at all...and I was telling her, in other words, an "inside joke" (meaning I was just joking about myself). So, I had to use just a screensaver (no words)....oh well...
Thank goodness my family sees the humor in it, but not other people....maybe they just never dealt with the deaf before. <shrugs>
I don't know if they are doing it out of spite, or out of respect because of my hearing loss.....I didn't think much about it other than it was a deaf quote that was known all over and it was funny.

too bad

you should have told them to get a life!
my old boss told me to stop wearing that shirt...i kept doing it,so he pullled me aside one day and asked why i was still wearing it.
my reply? " cant you read?" :laugh2:

I am hearing; personally, it doesn't bother me.

However, I can understand why it might not be professional to use it in a customer service area.

Reba said:
I am hearing; personally, it doesn't bother me.

However, I can understand why it might not be professional to use it in a customer service area.

Ok, now THAT I understand.....but they didn't explain that to me....and I wasn't even in front of any customers at all though....but if it has to do with professionalism, I understand completely....but if it has to do with my hearing loss personally, I don't think they understand it's only an "inside joke"....and they thought themselves it's offensive. :confused:
Thank you Reba for clearing it up a bit. :)

I even have a t-shirt that says the same thing and it seems pretty much popular to the deaf community too so honestly, who cares? it's not like it's racist or something.

cant wait to see what miss p have to say about this.

for me i think its funny, and dont find it offensive, nor do my family.

Let me ask you this. Are any of you deaf people offended by the reoccuring "Family Guy" character, Greased Up Deaf Guy?

Peter.JPG

cental34 said:
Let me ask you this. Are any of you deaf people offended by the reoccuring "Family Guy" character, Greased Up Deaf Guy?

Peter.JPG

yeah i would like to know what u guys feel about that.

never heard of family guy. i get anoyed with people who think they know best. like when that teddy bear in a stright jacket holding a sign saying i'm crazy about you. and all the fuss made by people who are not 'mentally ill' saying it was offensive. i'm 'mentally ill' and i thought it was cute. so did 99% of my friends with 'mental illness' it wasn't offensive to US. same thing with the saying i'm not deaf i'm just ignoring you. seems like the 'wrong' people take offense.

I actually think the quote is funni, everytime I see it, I just chuckles!

Back