Inked Interpreters

Just a note:

Living in the South's hot climate, almost every place I've had to interpret has been air conditioned, so long sleeves were no problem. The only outdoor exceptions (which weren't often) were graveside funerals, sporting events, school field trips, and a plantation wedding.

The only problem with long sleeves is most of the time they get in the way of signing so they would need to be pushed up anyway.

I have often thought about getting a tattoo on my wrist but knowing that some people will not want me to interpret for a job because of that, has stopped me from getting one.

The only problem with long sleeves is most of the time they get in the way of signing so they would need to be pushed up anyway....
What are you wearing, puffy-sleeve pirate shirts? :lol:

What are you wearing, puffy-sleeve pirate shirts? :lol:

Nah. Ain't a pirate shirt. It's supposed to be what's in style.

1.png

:giggle:

Some employers dont even think twice about hiring interpreter.. Or arent even aware how inappropriate their interpreters dress when employer isnt around.

I've met an interpreter at her office wearing V-neck and very visible tattoo all over the chest.. Can imagine guys are definitely not going to pay attention to the signing & neither could I with the distracting heavy tattoo on the chest.

Besides there's no way of knowing who are the Deaf clients you will be interpreting for.. Some prefer their interpreters to remain plain as possible. Some can accept a few things.. Some prefer must have dark clothing for light skinned people or vice versa --- light clothing for dark skinned people.

I would recommend to think of the "target" group that motivates you to interpret for.. Like some can deal with elementary school kids who are in learning stages of how to use an interpreter.. Some prefer being around college students or adults who will actually challenge them to brush up on their interpreting skills.

For Deaf people most visible is always waist up to the face most of the time.. And of course those people are also the ones that will pass on to others your professional behavior as an interpreter. So got to think of the type of interpreter you are modeling yourself to be with your appearance and your skills. :)

And of course our appreciation and thanks on your interest of wanting to be an interpreter. :)

Honestly -- I find tats on arms distracting. I dont care if you have them, but when people want to sign to me and I "discover" they have visable tats - I like to study them. Its part of my nature - I love to look at them but I am easily distracted until I look carefully at tats in full. If someone have a nice tat, its gonna be awhile. I like to study how it flows on body - how muscle or fat makes it move, the colors, etc.

Once I satisfy my curiosity - then I can pay attention to signs - but by then its too late so I gotta know you first. LOL.

I'm doomed if they are on over 10 percent of your body..:shock:

i think you would be more likable, at least for me.

Just don't get too much tattoos or I'd turn you into a fantasy land...

Hey where do you located? I seriously needed an interpreter. Tattoos or no tattoos no big deal long as you get me understand the hearing dialogues

This old post came up in a random search, so it might be too old to make a difference but....

Personally my sleeves are almost always up to my elbows when I'm signing.... I'm a small person so hoodies or sweaters usually go down to my knuckles if I don't push them up. Covering them with sleeves doesn't sound realistic to me.

I'm not bothered by people who sign with tattoos. My bigger frustration is MASSIVE rings or long colorful nails (my best friend wears long acrylics and it can be distracting because she likes to tap them along the other nails).

As a professional I'd think you might have problems if you have a client with low vision as well - my terps who worked with deaf-blind students had to have high-contrast clothing and no jewelry... you might have problems there.

Back