Information about HD-DVD

I don't think so because HD-DVD add-on is only for movies but wouldn't support games on HD-DVD, that what news said from MS. MS don't said about games will make on HD-DVD format but doubt would happen.

360 HD DVD add-on coming to US, Europe in mid-November for $200/€200/£130 - Joystiq

If you think its BS then let you to test it, if not then don't blame on us.

Microsoft announced pricing and availability details for the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in Japan. The accessory will launch on Nov. 17, 2006, priced at ¥19,800 (estimated retail price), and will come with an Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote.

“Xbox 360 and the HD DVD Player together deliver the most powerful and affordable games and movie system for Japanese consumers,” Moore said. “The freedom to choose their entertainment experiences is extremely important for consumers as they enter the next generation.”

In addition, Microsoft announced that its fall software update, scheduled for release later this year, will allow all Xbox 360 consoles around the world to output game and movie content in 1080p resolution.

19,800 Yen = $170 US

Sounds good to me, man November is gonna be a expensive month

You are still confused. I didn't say HD-DVD supports games. I said you need this to capture 1080p resolution for movies and games.

Do you think so? I'm going record sjones4dad's post...

sjones4dad answered no to required to use HDMI for watch movies but only component cable is 2nd optional to support them as superior quality, that what he talk about on MSN.

If think about BS then suggest about you to test on HD-DVD via component cable and HDMI then tell us about it.
He is right and I did mention that any cable than HDMI cable, it will reduce the quaity picture. component cable is not as GOOD as HDMI. HDMI is number one and DVI is number 2, VGA is number three and compoonet is number 4.

s an Electrical Engineer working on HDTV design for 9 years, there is so much for me to say on many levels of these subject matters. But I would end up creating a post the size of a novel in the likes of 'War and Peace'.

In a nutshell here are some rules that you should know. Print this out for future reference.

1. HDMI is 100% backwards compatible with later versions of HDMI. HDMI ver 1.0, ver 1.1, ver 1.2 are now out in the markets. ver 1.3 will be out in mid 2006.

2. HDMI is only 50% backwards compatible with DVI ver 1.0 (the one and only version made). HDMI ver 1.2 and ver 1.3 will be the only versions that will be 100% backwards compatible with DVI. HDMI ver 1.1 and lower is most likely not backwards compatible with DVI. The symptoms usually is a signal may black out after a few seconds, a picture scroll may occur or a blue screen may stay on.

3. Some earlier DTV and HDTV have DVI inputs in 2003 and 2003 models. HDMI inputs has now taken over in 2005 and 2006 models.

4. Sone earlier set top boxes and dvd players have DVI outputs in 2003 and 2004 models. HDMI outputs has now taken over in 2005 and 2006 models.

5. Some HDMI outputs on dvd players and set top boxes cannot upscale to 1080i. Some cannot upscale to 720p. However, most will be able to upscale to 480p and even 576p. These types usually are lower end dvd players. The ability of the HDMI output to upscale to 1080i depends on the sophistication of the dvd player for instance with the high end DCDi Faroujia motion adaptive de-interlacer and the HDMI discrete 10 bit dac/adc circuits on board.

6. The best choice is to have a digital output from the set top box or dvd player to the digital input on the DTV or HDTV. The problem usually occurs when one has an HDMI and the other a DVI connector. It doesn't matter even if you use an HDMI to DVI cable or converter device, if the versions don't match and are not backward compatible as referenced in points 1 & 2, then you will most likely experience a variety of problems.

7. If at all possible match up a DVI input with a DVI output, and an HDMI input with an HDMI output. This would give you the best chance of full operability. Of course a component video is not compatible with any digital input/output such as DVI nor HDMI. Use it only as the last resort as this is an analog signal that is much lower quality and inferior to any digital signal.

8. Most digtial cable and satelite subscribers complain about the standard or normal channels being of low quality with lots of noise. And they find that the premium or pay channels have the best quality picture. This is because the pay or premium channels are broadcast in a digital mpeg format with a much higher ATSC resolution. And its signal path to your house to the set top box and to your HDTV is mostly all digital. However, the standard or nomal channels are just re-broadcast from their old former NTSC analog formats of lower quality and then digitized. When any old low resolution analog signal is digitized, it make a very accurate copy of the signal along with any of the inherent noise and artifacts imbedded with it. And when it gets to your home into your set top box and to your HDTV through a completely digital path, it does a good job in retaining all of that noise it copied when it was digitized. The digital circuits don't know that it is noise and artifacts. It just knows it must keep the digital data signal integrity like a computer does so it keeps the noise. It never gets filter out in a complete digital path. However to resolve this, you should use a component video cable from the set top box to the HDTV only for standard or normal channels. This is because the analog signal path provides chroma and noise filters that are standard in analog circuits. This helps clean up the noise when the digital signal is converted back to an analog signal in the HDTV component input. Only in this case does the analog component signal appear better then the digital signals of DVI and HDMI.

9. Even when you have a DVI input connected to a DVI output, or an HDMI input connected to an HDMI output and your HDMI versions are backwards compatible with each other you can still have problems. If you cable is too long like 10 meters or more you can have the picture signal fade in and out or have blurring/digital blocking. The optimal cable length is 5 meters of less. The reason why is that some DVI or HDMI chips are not of the same brand and made by different manufacturers. Their eye or window specifications are not always the same and have screwed from the basic designated rules and regulations. This creates a signal syncronization mismatch and the signals may show a variety of problems. Sometimes the DVI or HDMI cable itself may be of poor quality and has created a inferior impedence match. This will also cause bad symptoms. Some HDMI and DVI chips from certain manufacturers are built with a very robust design and will be able to capture signals even with inferior cable quality and even long cables of 25 meter or more. The best case scenario is to own the highest in quality from the HDTV, set top box, dvd player and cables to insure you have optium design built in to your system.

10. When you get a High Definition signal (HD) from a pay channel or premium channel from your HD digital cable or satelite set top box, you may soon be required to have an HDCP encrypted system inorder for you to see the signal on your HDTV or DTV. This means you must have a DVI with HDCP or HDMI with HDCP connection. Now the problem is that some earlier DVI connections do not come with an HDCP encryption scheme with it. These sets will not be able to pick up an encrypted HD signal if your broadcaster decides to activate it. However almost all HDMI connectors have HDCP encryption built into it so it is less likely that you will have a problem with an HDMI to HDMI connection.

11. Another problem issue is that the only way to know if your system has HDCP encryption or know what HDMI version your system has is to find the make and model and request the information from the manufacturer. Another way is to open up the set or box and to find the chipset to get the make and model of the HDMI chip. You can then go on to the web to search for the IC specs of the chip to find the version and HDCP encrption capability.

12. The positive side to all of this digital mayhem is that in the future most all of the newer systems will only have HDMI as a digital connector. And these will all be backwards compatible to all the older systems including DVI and all built with HDCP encryption. All new DTV and HDTV sets today have to be HDMI certified before they hit the market. And there is a compatibility program that insures the HDCP encryption scheme works 100% between all makes and manufacturers HDMI systems. If you buy a new HDTV, set top box and dvd player make sure that they have the 'HDMI' logo certification label as well as the HDCP certification label named 'Panel Link' or 'Simplay HD' on it. This will insure that not only will you be able to get a guaranteed signal but it should be the best signal quality with a most optimal cable length and also have HDCP encryption for all HD signals.

13. If you have an earlier HDTV or DTV set with problems as I mentioned in my many points above, I suggest you contact your sales channel or even the manufacturer and give these guys a piece of your mind. Let them know that as a consumer of durable goods you deserve to be treated better than this and demand a reprive or compensation in the form of discount coupons or purchase vouchers on newer systems to compensate your loss with these transitional yet incompatible HD systems your were duped into buying. I think if enough if the consumers give them a ear full, they will get on the ball next time such a technical transition occurs.

Look number 7, I am right.

Do you think so? I'm going record sjones4dad's post...

sjones4dad answered no to required to use HDMI for watch movies but only component cable is 2nd optional to support them as superior quality, that what he talk about on MSN.
I don't know how that's going to work for games since most HDTV component connections cannot support more than 1080p @ 24 fps (Movie fps). It's the HDMI port that can support the bandwidth needed. I think it has to be a HDMI cable to accept a 1080p signal, it's the only cable that can handle that signal strength at the moment.

You are still confused. I didn't say HD-DVD supports games. I said you need this to capture 1080p resolution for movies and games.

I don't have 1080p then don't need get HD-DVD.

It's unfair for people to buy old model HDTV (1998-2004) that don't including HDMI input then they have buy other new HDTV again, that no fun.

Not surprised about HDTV...
In the United States, HDTV specifications are defined by the ATSC. An HDTV-compatible TV usually uses a 16:9 aspect ratio display with an integrated ATSC tuner. Lower-resolution sources like regular DVDs may be upscaled to the native resolution of the TV. It is estimated that by the end of 2006, 10% of American TVs will be HDTVs, but in the same survey, 83% of Americans are not satisfied with the HDTV they are getting.

Other interesting link...
High-definition television in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me explain again!!

For xbox 360, games can play on 1080p thru programming. not on hd-dvd for movies! For movies can go up to 1080i thru component.

Games will not play on hd-dvd. Just on xbox 360 console only.

PS3 will play both movies and games thru 1080p from hdmi.

For xbox 360, games can play on 1080p thru programming. not on hd-dvd for movies! For movies can go up to 1080i thru component.
In the few weeks to months, an update software via Xbox live, the 360 system will support 1080p resolution for 360 games and HD-DVD movies. For HD-DVD movies, there is no difference between 1080i and 1080p unless you have an 42 inch or up widescreen hdtv LCD flat panel. Using a VGA cable is a little way better than component cable for in 1080i. For 360 games, 1080p is way, way, and way better and crisp picture than 1080i. In order to do that, hook up with a HDMI cable because it has to be a HDMI cable to accept a 1080p signal, it's the only cable that can handle that signal strength at the moment. You can buy a 360 HDMI cable from Lik-Sang,
Lik-Sang, purveyor of all things accessory, has spilled the beans about the Xbox 360 HDMI Cable. After Microsoft's HD DVD announcement at E3, people were wondering whether HD DVDs would be capable of playing at full resolution on analog component cables, since there was no HDMI cable available for the 360. Well, that particular question hasn't been solved, but we do know that there is an HDMI cable for the 360.

The cable isn't actually available yet, but you can place yourself on the list to be notified when it is. Note that this is an official Microsoft cable, so it should be widely available by the time the HD DVD drive is released

Games will not play on hd-dvd. Just on xbox 360 console only.

PS3 will play both movies and games thru 1080p from hdmi.
That's what I told Pac-man

In the few weeks to months, an update software via Xbox live, the 360 system will support 1080p resolution for 360 games and HD-DVD movies. For HD-DVD movies, there is no difference between 1080i and 1080p unless you have an 42 inch or up widescreen hdtv LCD flat panel. Using a VGA cable is a little way better than component cable for in 1080i. For 360 games, 1080p is way, way, and way better and crisp picture than 1080i. In order to do that, hook up with a HDMI cable because it has to be a HDMI cable to accept a 1080p signal, it's the only cable that can handle that signal strength at the moment. You can buy a 360 HDMI cable from Lik-Sang,

That's what I told Pac-man

My goodie.. I must miss that news! Where did you get that? You serious, Microsoft is going to add HDMI???????? If so, that is great! Remember looking for 1.3 HDMI which is top version. Don't forget that! I am reminding you all.

Misinformation about HDMI and HD in general.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about HDTV and how things work with regards to the 360 and PS3. Allow me to clarify some things:

In theory HDMI is the best way to pass the picture information from the player device (be it a 360, DirecTV receiver, whatever)... however in practice at least for the forseeable future, what you see with HDMI is going to be the same quality as what you see with component video.

Why?

Because all of the popular mass market consumer HDTV sets internally convert the HDMI signal from digital to analog anyway. Obviously the best thing to do with the signal would be to pass it straight through as digital to the final display... BUT that would mean creating a way for brightness, contrast, picture in picture, etc, to work digitally. To date, no manufacturer has done this yet. To keep costs down they are instead converting the signal to analog, passing it through their tried-and-true analog picture processors, then back to digital for the final output. One exception would be the use of LCD computer monitors with HDMI inputs - those do indeed have an all-digital path but they also cost way more than conventional HDTV sets.

Another misinformation I see here is about CRT TV's being somehow superior to the other display technologies (DLP, LCoS, Plasma, LCD, whatever). This simply isn't true for one reason - there is no such thing as a CRT TV that can display true HD. Due to scan rate limitations there aren't any CRT displays that can do 720P - they will just grab the 720P picture and downconvert to 540P. They can't do full 1080i either. The only thing that CRT TV's are superior at are the black levels - it is unbeatable.

Having owned several HDTV's to date, it is in my opinion that the best all-around rear projection HDTV television you can get today would be the 1080P JVC HD-ILA line (which is based on LCoS technology) or the newest SXRD line from Sony (which is also based on LCoS). Of course your preferences may be different than mine but at least take a look at those models if you are in the market for a new HDTV set.

Another misinformation - having to have HDMI to be able to see HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies in HD. Not true - you can see those movies in full HD resolution and color using DVI or component video. In fact what HDMI actually is is just DVI + Copy Protection (called HDCP) + Sound in a single thin cable. If you have a HDTV set already that does not have HDMI you can still see movies in HD using component video cables - you don't need a new HDTV set.

I hope this clears some things up.

Back