Indepth ASL Grammar

nowits_done

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been trying to find out some details on ASL grammar.

My first question: 'When' vs 'Happen' I've been taught the rule but I can't exactly remember it, it's like, ''Use 'happen' in place of 'when' in subordinating clauses'' or something like that but I was wondering if someone could clarify this or give examples.

My next question is classifiers, I know them and can (usually) identify them, but I was wondering how they are used in sign and when they are used.

And then the more broad question of, when to use 'past' or 'finish' when talking about the past.

I usually use 'past' for actions done a long time ago or actions that still are going on (imperfect or pluperfect tenses)

'finish' for actions that are a one time thing and done (Preterite tense). I'm understood in conversation but I'd like to be more grammatically correct if possible.

Sorry if I lost any of you, any help would be loved.

My first question: 'When' vs 'Happen' I've been taught the rule but I can't exactly remember it, it's like, ''Use 'happen' in place of 'when' in subordinating clauses'' or something like that but I was wondering if someone could clarify this or give examples.

"When I graduated from college, I jumped in the fountain."

You wouldn't sign WHEN I GRADUATE FINISH, you'd sign HAPPEN I GRADUATE FINISH. This is more for English-style transliteration although it's also seen in ASL.

There was a discussion about classifiers here not too long ago.

Someone else can take it from here, I'm too tired right now.

sounds like you'd use WHEN for future perfect past tense such as when we have finished work we will go to the mall and you use past tense such HAPPEN for when an action you are speaking of has actually occured already such as - Last night I ate tacos.

sounds like you'd use WHEN for future perfect past tense such as when we have finished work we will go to the mall and you use past tense such HAPPEN for when an action you are speaking of has actually occured already such as - Last night I ate tacos.

No. In your sentence, the clause "When we have finished work..." would still be interpreted as HAPPEN not WHEN. "HAPPEN WORK FINISH....." although I would still only use that in formal situations. If I were just chatting I'd drop HAPPEN altogether.

WHEN is used for questions. STORE WE GO WHEN? YOU FINISH WHEN? Like that.

There is no connection between the English use of the word "when" to set off subordinate clauses and the ASL sign WHEN.

Back