In the work place...

iamcute

Reaction score
hi there. it's me again. it's been awhile.. i've been so busy.

anyways.. let's get to the point...

i have a friend who is deaf, and i am just wondering if he is discriminated against from the following examples:

1. he doesn't have an interpreter for meetings even after he requested so many times.

2. and when he finally got one, he wasn't a certified interpreter, and he barely knew how to sign.

3. he misses meetings on purpose b/c he doesn't feel comfortable with everyone speaking at the same time, people who talk who aren't facing him, and people talking who aren't raising their hands. basically, no one is trying to accommodate his needs.

4. they don't provide him info. on the meetings he missed. nor they don't post anything afterwards.

5. he gets in trouble for not answering his calls b/c they feel he is lazy. (they think he can hear perfectly with a hearing aid, and he is ignoring it on purpose)

edit*

6. and rarely anyone informs him that there is a meeting.. especially last minute ones... b/c they know he doesn't like them. (sadly, they know why he doesn't! he simpy can't catch on...)

these are just some of his complaints... and from my perspective, he is being discriminated...

someone pls. throw your two cents. :ty:

emi.

Yes Big Time Discrimmation. No Question about it. Refer your friend to this very powerful Deaf organization and look into the legal deptartment of this website. Good canditate for a lawsuit in court to recieve money and better treatment on the job :) :thumb: E-mail or call them for legal help.

http://www.nad.org

Wow...all I have is an undergrad human resource management degree, and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I would think, unless this business is really, REALLY tiny, an interpreter ought to be in any sane person's definition of "reasonable accomodation."

Hard to believe businesses can be so stupid these days. It's not even good for the bottom line to be such a moron, let alone for all the other reasons!

yes. this company is huge. it is nationwide. i do believe that they are to follow ADA standards (suppose to at least!)

right now, he is waiting for the next meeting whether he gets a certified interpreter or even get any all... if not, he'll go take legal action.

the worst part is, he had actualy said something about filing a lawsuit against them if they do this one more time... because they had done it enough times already.

i wonder when they will ever get a clue....

one more thing he told me about...

when the alarm goes off, he has no idea b/c there are no flashing lights...

and another additional....

he has no way of getting access to relay, instant messenging... so for every phone call he makes or gets, someone else has to get it for him... b/c he is not familiar with their voice, it is unlikely he would understand them. private or not!....

emi.

Go for the legal action regardless of the meeting and next time have a NAD rep be with you and him then show up at that next meeting if possible ... but for sure go for legal action now !!!! Show NAD this posting .... they will take positive action ....

I've thought about starting a company to market a product myself and a group of friends are developing... It would be interesting if we could form a sizable corporation that is voice off for the most part. Have hearing people that can sign taking tech support calls and the occassional terp in contract negotiations with other businesses but otherwise doing all business in text and ASL.

If the product gets off the ground, I'd definately do just that, I just have to wonder if we'd be able to find enough singers to make it workable.

Back