in tears today..

If you're hearing loss is in the moderate-moderately severe-severe range and you really want to hear well again you'd get yourself a pair of hearing aids with a good telecoil system and buy yourself an assistive listening device to use with the TCoil. Hearing aids on their own just dont help enough if you are in the moderate to severe range.

I had struggles just like you at work. With my aids I would still struggle to hear people in one on one in quite environments with the person standing 3 feet next to me and it was incredibly frustrating and embarrassing. I would go for adjustment after adjustment with my audi. I tried otehr brands of aids and none provided much benefit. I soon realized that hearing aids can only take you so far. I did an online search for assistive devices to work in conjunction with the aids and I purchased my self the comfort contego assistitive listening device and the thing helps me so much at work its like it fell from Heaven from God himself. I dont even WORRY about not hearing people at work anymore. I hear about 85% aslong as I am in a quite environment. The device can also be used in conferences, group discussions, TV and radio. THe only negative I can think of with the devices it that it does not work well when you are in a noisy situation, but I dont really care about that because my workfield is very quite.

THe product is over $800 which is a steep price, but it was worth every penny for me. There are some other devices taht are much cheaper, such as teh Pocket Talker that may benefit too.

I really recommend you try these out if you have the finances. Most online stores who sell them offer 30 day money back guarantee.

I hope I dont come off as patronizing, but I was in your shoes too and this is REALLY the best advice I can offer to you.

Good Luck

trying to hold onto new school counseling job until i am eligible for tuition free college (plan to get 2nd masters in instructional technology)..let's just say it was a very bad hearing day and only my 5th day on job:tears:-- I try so hard to prove myself at the new job.. frustrating when i can't understand what people are saying.. happened over and over today.. came home in tears.

:mad: why do audiologist suggest CIC when they are not powerful enough!! i would rather people see the hearing aids and HEAR than struggle for the pursuit of "cosmetic excellence".:roll:

I have been in your position for many years. I understand your frustration. It is not about learning ASL or being deaf, it is about holding on to your career choice until you can accommodate yourself. I did the opposite, I wanted to remain in my career as an elementary/special education teacher, so I found a way to stay by getting cochlear implants.

There are good hearing aids out there, I suggest going to an independent audiologist not beltone or miracle ear. I wore Unitrons for 14 years and they were fantastic. Also ask for a special phone, they have them within your school system. They are very easy to get. I also suggest discussing this with your principal.

vallee your blogspot rocks!

I just moved from Memphis, TN to Austin Tx.. how much were the cochlear implants..is their any financial help out there for me.. i will probably stick with aids for now. I will study you Unitrons. $$$ is a BIG factor..i took another glance at my audiogram.. i am basically severe .

Everyone here rocks!!.. thanks so very much for all your suggestions! I will research audiologist and hearing aids.

Oh well, then that works out well that you're in Austin and can take advantage of the School for the Deaf. That way you're dealing with experianced audis, and you're also helping a School for the Deaf.

vallee your blogspot rocks!

I just moved from Memphis, TN to Austin Tx.. how much were the cochlear implants..is their any financial help out there for me.. i will probably stick with aids for now. I will study you Unitrons. $$$ is a BIG factor..i took another glance at my audiogram.. i am basically severe .

Everyone here rocks!!.. thanks so very much for all your suggestions! I will research audiologist and hearing aids.

Thank you. If I could have gotten a benefit from hearing aids, I would have never gotten CIs. I didn't so that was my route. I hope you get the benefit from hearing aids. I think if you really find a good audie you will be pleased.

Make sure your audie is board certificated.

Cochlear implants are usually covered by your health insurance. It is just a lot of time involve. I took off around 12 days of work during my first year for mapping. This school year I will got around every 3 to 6 months for mapping.

Check out deafvillage.com for other blogs on hearing aids, ASL, cued speech, Cochlear implants.

Back