In need of Simple VCO for Grandma

agentpigeon

Reaction score
So, my Grandmother has recently become profound deaf in one ear, and is becoming severely deaf in the other. She has hearing aids, but they work just enough for her to be able to talk with us, and her learning ASL isn't an option, as much as I would like it to be. When she talks on the phone, it's really hard for her to hear, and she needs a solution. I don't think she'd like using only a TTY with a TRS service, because she'll want to hear as much of whoever-she's-talking-to's voice as she can and would probably get annoyed at typing. I've tried looking into transcripted, vco calls, but I'm not sure they work like she needs them to. She wants to be able to talk to the other person (not a TRS person) and both listen to and read what he or she says. Also, it needs to be really simple to use. Is there an option like that out there, or am I off my rocker? (We don't really want to go the amplified phone route.)

Well - the whole point of having VCO is to be able to use your voice to have conversation instead of typing. But she will need to type at first and ask for VCO and give them the vco number. once TRS calls her VCO phone, then it should be easy for her from that point and on. she will be able to talk and read the other party conversation. She may feel awkward and uncomfortable at first, but like all things, the first time is intimidating and after that its easy. Perhaps you could walk her through on how to do it the for a few calls for her ?

If we got her a TTY, I sure would help her through it! :) I don't think she'd be able to figure it out on her own. So, VCO can carry over both voices at once? Can you do that without having two lines?

Ah ha! I'm looking for a CapTel, aren't I? . . . I guess ads can be useful sometimes, eh?

Ah ha! I'm looking for a CapTel, aren't I? . . . I guess ads can be useful sometimes, eh?

You can do it with one line. The interpreter will need to make the manual switch back and forth from tty signal to your vioce to go through. It's aggravating though.

One option is use internet relay service and use VCO option. The words would be typed on pc using internet line and the phone would be free to use and both ends would work.

Back