In employment, are deaf people bottom of the pecking order?

Emilyyu

Reaction score
In job market, are we really at the bottom of the pecking order? What is your opinion of our place in job market and what is your current job? Are you satisfied with it?

You do get treated differently and that affects your climb up the ladder, but it doesn't stop you from climbing that ladder. We have to put more effort into it and be better for the same recognition, but that's just part of life.

My opinion?

Not necessarily at the bottom, however, if you stand out differently from others for any reason, the spotlight will be on you for awhile.

Bring a regular new person on board, and if he makes a mistake, people will say "he is new", but bring a deaf person on board, and he makes a mistake, people will say "he is deaf, that's why he messed up".

After a few months or years of proving that you are no different, those views eventually change....unfortunately that is the way it is.

The type of people you work with have a big impact....people with higher education tend to be more accepting. Blue-collar workers with minimal education tend to be more immature and critical.

My previous job of 13 years was like the above...my new job now consists of much more mature and educated folks, and show me a lot more respect.

I sincerely hope not but I have seen some evidence of that.

Wirelessly posted

I have had a customer accuse me of being rude. My boss told her, she's deaf she isn't being rude, she did not hear you.

You do get treated differently and that affects your climb up the ladder, but it doesn't stop you from climbing that ladder. We have to put more effort into it and be better for the same recognition, but that's just part of life.

Totally agree with you:wave:

My opinion?

Not necessarily at the bottom, however, if you stand out differently from others for any reason, the spotlight will be on you for awhile.

Bring a regular new person on board, and if he makes a mistake, people will say "he is new", but bring a deaf person on board, and he makes a mistake, people will say "he is deaf, that's why he messed up".

After a few months or years of proving that you are no different, those views eventually change....unfortunately that is the way it is.

The type of people you work with have a big impact....people with higher education tend to be more accepting. Blue-collar workers with minimal education tend to be more immature and critical.

My previous job of 13 years was like the above...my new job now consists of much more mature and educated folks, and show me a lot more respect.

Good for you.

It’s not easy to feel confident about our future when the news is reeling off reports of rising unemployment levels and the competition is more intense for an average deaf and/or disabled jobseeker. I know that someone is recently unemployed, or has a job which is under threat. Or is sending endless job applications and not getting a bite.But life still goes on and we have to be strong.

i dont think they are, obviously you use common sense...many people may have already trained at something e.g doctors obviously they not going to do surgery nothing stopping them doing any other forms of medicene....we can not always do what we want hearing or not

I think this depend on the person and has nothing to do being deaf or hoh .
When I was health aide I was given some of the nasty clients because my boss knew I would not break down and cry on the job. My boss called me up
while I was working and starting crying to me over the phone that someone yelled at her. I was just yelled by the same person and he was right in my face. Any person can be at bottom of the pecking order if they do nothing to stop.

I think this depend on the person and has nothing to do being deaf or hoh .
When I was health aide I was given some of the nasty clients because my boss knew I would not break down and cry on the job. My boss called me up
while I was working and starting crying to me over the phone that someone yelled at her. I was just yelled by the same person and he was right in my face. Any person can be at bottom of the pecking order if they do nothing to stop.
you are right, maybe i was too pessimistic

Some company and Boss knew about Tax Credit for disability workers. They tried to save deaf workers keep working long term if they quit or left or disability discrimination act at work. They'll lose tax credit money.

This is probably the same old story for many of you, Deaf trying to find employment. With many hearing people being cut from the Canadian government and grabbing up all available job, Deaf Canadians are really on the bottom of the pecking order!

We are told to go to employment service for the Deaf, one of them is the Canadian Hearing Society (CHS) run by hearing people who employ Deaf on contract basis in order to get them off of Employment Insurance (EI) or Welfare. When their contract expires in a year or so, they are unemployed again and unable to get back on Employment Insurance or Welfare until a few years has passed and their savings has drained down to zero.

The majority of Deaf here don’t have a college, university degree or any real good skills to land a nice career. CHS is only able find a few “bottom of the pecking order” employment opportunities for it’s clients; cleaning toilets, trash pickup, or even some VERY dangerous jobs for minimum wage. When CHS finds their client a “toilet cleaning” job, they close the client’s file and the Canadian government in turn pays CHS some money for their good work in getting the Deaf individual off of government support.

Here we have hearing people hiring a few Deaf people to work at CHS in order to sucker punch other Deaf people who are just looking for some honest employment.

Many Deaf here who have had that bad experience with CHS will simply avoid going back to CHS for help in finding work and try their best to stay on EI in order to survive and not fall into that poverty trap again!

Okay, now let’s see the CHS Deaf staff cover this up and say “Hey, that’s not true!” Note to CHS Deaf staff, wait until your contract expires and you are out of money, then you can be more honest with your opinion.:hmm:

I'm a federal employee. I have always felt to be at the bottom in large part due to my disability (hearing and learning). Overall it's been a very frustrating experience job wise. Recently I applied to an agency in Boston to be closer to home. I was 100% qualified for the position (I was also willing to jump down two grades after spending a lifetime trying to reach my current rank) and yet I got an email within days essentially saying the law requires that the position be given to a veteran. That's the new acceptable form of discrimination these days.

There are two types of jobs on USAJobs.gov - 1) Jobs for employees of a given agency only and 2) jobs for any U.S. citizen. What they don't tell you is that in most cases, when you apply to jobs for any U.S. citizen, your resume gets tossed in the trash and they'll only look at resumes from applicants with a military background. I may have more education, more federal experience and more guns than these people, but they can take my job in a heart beat and get paid twice what they would offer me. Like I said, it's the new acceptable form of discrimination and you really can't win....believe me, I understand your frustration.

Laura

We have an employee with Cerebral palsy who is limited in certain functions but when he messes up we don't say its because he has Cerebral palsy and can barely see and limits his body parts but because he was being an idiot who should of known better since hes been doing this for six years in which everyone else says the same thing to each other. :P

I think only one person I know ever brought up his disability as a joke and that was from a girl who has lupus who wants his SSI payments as a joke.

I'm a federal employee. I have always felt to be at the bottom in large part due to my disability (hearing and learning). Overall it's been a very frustrating experience job wise. Recently I applied to an agency in Boston to be closer to home. I was 100% qualified for the position (I was also willing to jump down two grades after spending a lifetime trying to reach my current rank) and yet I got an email within days essentially saying the law requires that the position be given to a veteran. That's the new acceptable form of discrimination these days.

There are two types of jobs on USAJobs.gov - 1) Jobs for employees of a given agency only and 2) jobs for any U.S. citizen. What they don't tell you is that in most cases, when you apply to jobs for any U.S. citizen, your resume gets tossed in the trash and they'll only look at resumes from applicants with a military background. I may have more education, more federal experience and more guns than these people, but they can take my job in a heart beat and get paid twice what they would offer me. Like I said, it's the new acceptable form of discrimination and you really can't win....believe me, I understand your frustration.

Laura

It's not discrimination its a Government job for a person who served his country.

Though to be fair I disagree with all Tax Credit Jobs in the Private Industry as well. I do not believe a Private Company should be getting paid by the Federal and State Goverments to hire and keep paying to employ someone who is disabled, is of a certain race, or a felon.

For example the RTA (CTA, PACE, METRA) hiring process for entry level now is you need to be a felon in order to work for the bus company which nets them a nice tax credit unless you have friends who can get you in.

Thats why if you noticed your local grocery store or McDonalds no longer employees teens. If you noticed a bagger, or cashier drooling, talking to himself, hitting himself, yelling at himself, yelling at you, looking like he is going to rob you chances are that was a Tax Credit Hire. Its a nice concept to help the disabled fit in and try to place them at real entry level jobs other than the disabled workshops but you're putting out real teens looking for experience and now all these entry level positions are held by older americans or tax credit hires.

Some company and Boss knew about Tax Credit for disability workers. They tried to save deaf workers keep working long term if they quit or left or disability discrimination act at work. They'll lose tax credit money.

Exactly its like Section 8 the tenants are mostly horrible tenants but your getting paid for labor but in turn you're hurting your store by hiring employees that are felons and simply don't show up or are miserable because they are getting paid High School wages. Or your disabled employee believes hes entitled so he can talk to a customer any which way or in some cases where the disabled employee is very friendly they just do not properly know how to address many situations.

Lets put it this way... 1996 I landed my Government career, it was 1 old man and I, a young blood (he was in his 60's and I was 28 ) we worked together for 3 years, just us a 2 man crew. During that time I was moved into the lead position because I was young, fast and good with what I did. Now, the government got a grant to expand, I was in charge all the sudden to train and lead a crew of 20, inventory, buy, stock and hand out supplies to the crews from the stock room. I met with the big dogs, got work orders and directions which I handed out each morning ( running from the shop at 6am to the office and back) sending the crews of men/women off to do the workorders, I would go around and supervise and report back to the main office.
Then I started training Americorp, started working large scale jobsites, I was moved into the position of Acting Supervisor (no pay increases other than the yearly cost of living increases and raises )
Now come 2004 we merged with Building Division for a bigger warehouse area, all new vehicles, better equipment.... Now....things were going smooth, My supervisor/boss was retiring, and I was slated to slide into his seat with pay increase of 17+%
Guess what happened, they gave it to the low man on the totem pole because he was friends with the Mayor...that burned my ass!!!!
I was always called to the main offices, city hall...everywhere there were important people to please as I was their best man for the job, My partner and I were the 2 man crew they relied on always.
want to know what was said? I mis-understand sometimes and so they needed someone to listen better... want to know what the ADA said? They cant go after Government departments... now I say, they are ****ed up...really the ADA wont touch Uncle Sam... buncha pansies.

Back