"In-between"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone actually say that about the bolded?

Most of us don't deal with sound without hearing aids. That's when it is pretty quiet...

If you told me this happened after she was fitted for hearing aids, I would say she may be overwhelmed by the sensory input she isn't used to.

Since it isn't, I am betting it's just a normal stage in child development. The terrible twos actually last until five.

You are most likely more observant and thinking about it after you realize she doesn't hear.

The only sounds I hear without my HA aren't real. :lol: but they can be very loud. My niece went through a stage that was so bad that we had to stop visiting. I'm surprised she didn't scar her vocal cords.

The only sounds I hear without my HA aren't real. :lol: but they can be very loud. My niece went through a stage that was so bad that we had to stop visiting. I'm surprised she didn't scar her vocal cords.

I have a few grandchildren in that age range, and in my opinion the hoh is better behaved than all the hearing. (With any luck her mother won't see I made this comment!)

Most of us don't deal with sound without hearing aids. That's when it is pretty quiet...

If you told me this happened after she was fitted for hearing aids, I would say she may be overwhelmed by the sensory input she isn't used to.

Since it isn't, I am betting it's just a normal stage in child development. The terrible twos actually last until five.

You are most likely more observant and thinking about it after you realize she doesn't hear.

Five?!?! You are telling me that I have a year and half more of this crap from my kid?! As I type this he is pouring fireplace ashes on the cat.

*sigh*

Damn... I have no doubt my mom's laughing her ass off from the skies. RIP, Ma.

Quite possibly a stage, all kids are different and go through different phases. My two boys are quite distinct in actions and how they see the world and what bothers them. Could also be that she's frustrated because she doesn't know what's going on. Around that age, kids start to notice a lot more. If she's in a stroller and you're walking and say to your husband (or wife, I don't know your gender or status, sorry) and daughter 'ok, bathroom first and then the games', she probably didn't hear you and wonders where the heck you're going. If that's possibly part of the problem, get down on her level, face her, and make sure she's part of the conversations.

How long until she gets her aids?

Sorry Bottesini... I think I miss-said what I meant (or misinterpreted what was said previously)... NO, they didn't say that it was hard to deal with the sound but that is the only way my brain could think at the moment to put what I was thinking... I really meant that it appears to be difficult at times to keep up with/deal with things when you have to rely on lip-reading and other visual cues without the aid of sign or hearing aids... And I know at some levels of deafness there are still some sounds that come through, so I would think that if you did not have the aid of hearing aids and you were trying to concentrate on what little sound you could possibly hear then it would be hard to deal with at times... I hope that makes more sense and clarifies what I meant. I am still quite new to all this and I guess at times I "speak" with a "hearing brain" :laugh2: (you never really realize how much you speak in terms of senses until you are dealing with not having a sense or talking with people who are without that sense- I dated a guy that was blind once and it is comical to think of how often we say "see" when what we really mean is "realize" or "recognize", as in "see what I mean?". Any time I would say something like that he would reply "no, I don't, I can't see" or something equally silly.). I apologize if that comment ruffled some feathers or caused confusion- thanks for pointing out my mess-up :ty:. :)

Sorry Bottesini... I think I miss-said what I meant (or misinterpreted what was said previously)... NO, they didn't say that it was hard to deal with the sound but that is the only way my brain could think at the moment to put what I was thinking... I really meant that it appears to be difficult at times to keep up with/deal with things when you have to rely on lip-reading and other visual cues without the aid of sign or hearing aids... And I know at some levels of deafness there are still some sounds that come through, so I would think that if you did not have the aid of hearing aids and you were trying to concentrate on what little sound you could possibly hear then it would be hard to deal with at times... I hope that makes more sense and clarifies what I meant. I am still quite new to all this and I guess at times I "speak" with a "hearing brain" :laugh2: (you never really realize how much you speak in terms of senses until you are dealing with not having a sense or talking with people who are without that sense- I dated a guy that was blind once and it is comical to think of how often we say "see" when what we really mean is "realize" or "recognize", as in "see what I mean?". Any time I would say something like that he would reply "no, I don't, I can't see" or something equally silly.). I apologize if that comment ruffled some feathers or caused confusion- thanks for pointing out my mess-up :ty:. :)

It is odd that you are "very new to this" yet have developed such an opinion about "audism." That is usually the vocabulary of really hardcore Deaf culture people (not that there is anything wrong with that). To restate my advice before, I think you have to look at all over your options and combinations of options and see what gives your daughter the brightest future. Keep an open mind. And again, good luck!

Could also be that she's frustrated because she doesn't know what's going on. Around that age, kids start to notice a lot more. If she's in a stroller and you're walking and say to your husband (or wife, I don't know your gender or status, sorry) and daughter 'ok, bathroom first and then the games', she probably didn't hear you and wonders where the heck you're going. If that's possibly part of the problem, get down on her level, face her, and make sure she's part of the conversations.

How long until she gets her aids?

I think that is what I meant (not that she is overwhelmed with what she hears as I previously misstated). I do my best to get on her level and make sure she is looking at me when there is something important to tell her (although she will turn her head away if she knows she has done something wrong and the reason I am trying to talk to her is to scold her- kids are quite smart like that, she picked up on the "if I'm not looking at you I can't "hear" you scold me" concept pretty quickly). And she responds really well to the signs she does know (bathroom, eat, play, etc.) so I use those when what I am trying to tell her involves a sign we know- but we are just learning sign so there are not a lot that we really know.

As for the hearing aids- I don't really know a time frame yet. Her hearing test was on Valentine's day and we are waiting for her ENT to call to schedule an appointment. She hasn't been assigned to an audiologist yet (this is only our second time seeing the doctors at Nemours so they haven't really had time to decide who her primaries will be) but the audiologist that did her test sounded like they will be moving pretty quickly to get her fitted for hearing aids and other services in place. I will be calling her ENT about mid-day Tuesday if I don't hear from him sooner to get things rolling quicker if I can. I am guessing it will probably be about a month before she has them, I don't know how long these things really take...

Oh, and the "unspoken" question: I am female and married to a wonderful man (he is my two daughter's step-dad but really treats them more like his own kids than their bio dad does). :) Hope that clears up any confusion on that end of things :).

It is odd that you are "very new to this" yet have developed such an opinion about "audism." That is usually the vocabulary of really hardcore Deaf culture people (not that there is anything wrong with that). To restate my advice before, I think you have to look at all over your options and combinations of options and see what gives your daughter the brightest future. Keep an open mind. And again, good luck!

I think that far more people today are pre-comfortable with the idea. I guess I'm saying there's been a change in thinking for a lot of people as the Deaf utilize the internet, VP, technology to voice our thoughts on the matter.

I think that far more people today are pre-comfortable with the idea. I guess I'm saying there's been a change in thinking for a lot of people as the Deaf utilize the internet, VP, technology to voice our thoughts on the matter.

That would be a shame IMO. -isms tend to push people away more than unite people. A really divisive tool.

I misread your post. Sorry. I just re-read it.

My vote will ALWAYS be the Deaf way. That will never change. It doesn't mean that I believe it's the right way for everyone. I'm with you on pretty much everything that you said in that post... especially about keeping an open mind.

Okay... I'm making this up but basically... bilingual + bicultural = bifuctional. Hearing loss is still hearing loss. I think JadeSyke understands that and is on the right path.

My vote will ALWAYS be the Deaf way. That will never change. It doesn't mean that I believe it's the right way for everyone. I'm with you on pretty much everything that you said in that post... especially about keeping an open mind.

Okay... I'm making this up but basically... bilingual + bicultural = bifuctional. Hearing loss is still hearing loss. I think JadeSyke understands that and is on the right path.

I think the choice is pretty simple. Pick the school where your child has the best chance of learning. If the child can function easily at both schools, pick the school with the best academic record. If that happens to be the mainstream school the child can still attend deaf activities and camps and can alway learn ASL with mom.

It is odd that you are "very new to this" yet have developed such an opinion about "audism." That is usually the vocabulary of really hardcore Deaf culture people (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I consider myself "new to this" because I have not really been exposed to any deaf (or many hard of hearing) people in my life and I definitely have never been the parent of a deaf or hard of hearing person before :).

As for the "opinions" I have developed about "audism"- I do a lot of reading. When I find myself in a situation that is unfamiliar (as I did when we suspected that our daughter was possibly deaf), I begin looking everywhere I can to find information that might help me to better understand the situation (I guess I'm a thinker- I think I think too much sometimes :giggle:). I catch on to concepts and ideas pretty quickly and it is really not that hard to understand the underlying concept of "audism" (as it is not very hard to understand the underlying concept of any -ism). Also, I work in a field that is very sensitive to oppression and -isms so I might be a little more fine-tuned to pick up on and be sensitive to things that fall in those categories because of the work I do (I have worked over five years at a Domestic Violence center and it does have a way of changing the way you look at some things- especially oppression and -isms). But I do agree with you that -isms have a tendency to push people away and divide people rather than unite them so I try my best to view all sides of a situation as clearly as possible. I also think that a lot of people who express views that appear "audist" (or other -ists/-isms) don't really realize what they are doing- such was probably the case with the doctors I spoke of. Hope that makes sense...

I consider myself "new to this" because I have not really been exposed to any deaf (or many hard of hearing) people in my life and I definitely have never been the parent of a deaf or hard of hearing person before :).

As for the "opinions" I have developed about "audism"- I do a lot of reading. When I find myself in a situation that is unfamiliar (as I did when we suspected that our daughter was possibly deaf), I begin looking everywhere I can to find information that might help me to better understand the situation (I guess I'm a thinker- I think I think too much sometimes :giggle:). I catch on to concepts and ideas pretty quickly and it is really not that hard to understand the underlying concept of "audism" (as it is not very hard to understand the underlying concept of any -ism). Also, I work in a field that is very sensitive to oppression and -isms so I might be a little more fine-tuned to pick up on and be sensitive to things that fall in those categories because of the work I do (I have worked over five years at a Domestic Violence center and it does have a way of changing the way you look at some things- especially oppression and -isms). But I do agree with you that -isms have a tendency to push people away and divide people rather than unite them so I try my best to view all sides of a situation as clearly as possible. I also think that a lot of people who express views that appear "audist" (or other -ists/-isms) don't really realize what they are doing- such was probably the case with the doctors I spoke of. Hope that makes sense...

The difference being that the perceived audism here was the exact opposite of oppression. It was empowerment.....an acknowledgement of the tools available today for those who proactively seek them. Te improvements in communication tools over the last 20 years is amazing. I don't think it is a negative for a Dr or Audiologist to point this out at all. A former poster here used to point out that there is an 85% unemployment rate among the deaf....I'm not sure how accurate that is, but to me THAT is oppressive.

The difference being that the perceived audism here was the exact opposite of oppression. It was empowerment.....an acknowledgement of the tools available today for those who proactively seek them. Te improvements in communication tools over the last 20 years is amazing. I don't think it is a negative for a Dr or Audiologist to point this out at all. A former poster here used to point out that there is an 85% unemployment rate among the deaf....I'm not sure how accurate that is, but to me THAT is oppressive.

Maybe that's b/c of the high rate of health care, and the fact that insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, and the fact that a lot of dhh kids were mainstreamed and never got to take advantage of even dhh regional programs.

I totally agree with you about HOH kids needing accomodations but that isn't the question here. The OP's daughter is solidly severely deaf. She will need help. But she shouldn't be limited to deaf or hearing things. She can be whoever she wants and needs to be.

An absolutist approach will likely lead to an angry child.

Nobody's saying go completely voice off. Even a lot of DODA families have their kids in speech therapy! It's a fact that many if not most HOH kids just get a HA or CI, and speech therapy, and told " all you need is the hearing world!" There is NO LACK of HOH kids getting speech therapy and exposure to the hearing world....heck there's not a lack of deaf kids getting speech therapy and exposure to the hearing world!

Maybe that's b/c of the high rate of health care, and the fact that insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, and the fact that a lot of dhh kids were mainstreamed and never got to take advantage of even dhh regional programs.

Many VRs cover HAs. There are charities that pay for them as well.

Not all, and generally you have to be dead broke to really qualify for any real assistance.

Not from what I have seen and heard. Besides, you said in the very next post that most kids get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back