Implants: Bad thing?

So it wasn't highly recommended for me to get CI. Its far too dangerous for me to have them and my hearing loss does not support them.

Restrictions of the CI

I was implanted when I was 3 and the limitations I faced are;

Cannot go scuba diving because of the water pressure.
Cannot go near magnetic fields.
May face potential sugery in the future to replace internal unit.
Concerns about MRI. I have to wear a medi alert necklace.

That is about all I can think off.

A short list.... :lol:
Scubadiving is OK.. Unless you want to go really deep... and how many people you know do that?
There are magnetic fields everywhere... My daughter has yet to react to a magnetic field that's strong enough to be registered by her..
Re-implantation.. Yep.. that's gonna happen if you want to keep hearing... but that's not a limitation..
MRI... yes... in case of an accident you might have to go through one.. but there are other options.. But a "medi alert necklace" is good to have... but is it a limitation..??

On the other side...
Have you thought about the limitations you would be facing when you did not have the CI..??

I'm curious ... do those limitations bother you?

My hub told me that he would not go for another surgery again but never know because he is so use to having CI. you know? But he is not going for the second CI.

He hates it when anything that has magnetic near him because he is concerned if it can damage or be something. He is more cautious. He knew He isnt a scuba diving type but worried if he wants to go down for fun like a vacation standard for scuba. He does wonder.

Oh, medi alert necklace to let EMS or doctor know you shouldnot be in the MRI? Never thought of it. cool

I have a medi alert bracelet. I have seizures and other medical conditions. I have been found unconcious more then once. My bracelet states that I have seizures and that I am deaf. On the inside it has my husbands name and cel phone. I just added a charm to it, that says No MRI, Cochlear Implant. It looks pretty nice and did not cost that much. For me, I feel a little safer wearing it.

As I understand matters: Cochlear Implants are considered when a persons's Hearing aid isn't of much value-hearing wise. A Cochlear Implant is much more expensive-surgery/hospital care/audi services etc than any Hearing aid.

aside: the total cost for my Cochlear Implant 5 years ago was $55,000.00 CDN which was "picked up in total as I "fit the criteria" then by Ontario Health Insurance Plan-OHIP.The provincial medical plan. I was bilateral DEAF. Different arrangements in other countries

All of this leads right back-exactly where is one re: Hearing Loss/ Deafness?

I'm curious ... do those limitations bother you?

No. I really could care less about them. I actually honestly do not notice any of them.

Basically the only one that bothers me is the fact that I cannot go on a certain ride because of the magnets.

My hub told me that he would not go for another surgery again but never know because he is so use to having CI. you know? But he is not going for the second CI.

He hates it when anything that has magnetic near him because he is concerned if it can damage or be something. He is more cautious. He knew He isnt a scuba diving type but worried if he wants to go down for fun like a vacation standard for scuba. He does wonder.

Oh, medi alert necklace to let EMS or doctor know you shouldnot be in the MRI? Never thought of it. cool

He could still scuba dive. Just not below 80 feet.

depend on your opinion, IMO bad implant suppose bad, honest, I don't see it, my personal I see it I never it It, your IMO choice your decide on things, what do your decide things your choice I already bad on thing before thing see it bad implant, I rid thing, It seems pretty i aware it

My experience with my Cochlear Implant of almost 5 years is entirely different than some of the comments above.
My age, physical shape, type of DEAFness/hearing loss"-S N . skill of the surgeon?

Gidday everyone.

I still wear hearing aids. However, just wondering what limitations of wearing the implants? Does it stop from you to do anything as you used to do before that being installed?

nope.. The only thing i can't do with my implants is go swimming with it. Even though the implants are water resistant i still don't like going to the pool and risking my implants getting wet.

But other than that, my CI doesn't stop me from doing anything, Heck, in high school i was in the fall/winter drumline, and i was the first deaf person to be in my high school's band program. So, I may not hear all the music notes correctly, but i know which note is which, and i just have to work hard at it. And i succeeded in that. Do you think your hearing aid stop you from doing what you want to do? I think you're probably thinking nope, it doesn't. That's the same thing with CI. I can play the marimba, the drum set, the piano, etc. What i really want to do now is learn how to play the guitar. :lol:

I played sports when i was a kid with CI. I went camping, etc. If something seems to get in the way with me not being able to do anything with my CI, i'll find another way, but if that's not possible, at least I tried and i accept it and move on.

Back