Implants and Active kids

Or pehaps she's deaf and would benefit tremendously from CI.....

Yep. She is just deaf in the severe to profound range. That is why she is not getting enough benefit from the hearing aids.

DD - It's not what you suggested.

Ashley does not get anything from HA. Well anything but aggravation at having something in her ear bothering her. I am so glad they have CI technology to help people that get no help from HA's.

I just wanted to add too that my daughter Emma is 3 and a half and she is very active. She attends ballet and tap classes and they do tumbling in there too. She has no problem doing sommersaults now with her BTE...when she wore the Bodyworn it was hard. Now with th Mic lock tubing on her freedom and the correct earhook, we have had no problems with it falling off. We use a gator clip on her clothing just in case. I was worried at first because her dance for the recital has a part where they lean down and shake their head!!! But she's fine! Also..Emma had to trial hearing aids for 6 months and got no benefit at all from them. She would also pull them out all day long. She only would take the CI off during a terrible twos tantrum and chuck it across the room or break her coil wire on her Sprint. I am thankful that her terrible twos have turned into terrible not as much threes! She asks for her "bamp" as she calls it first thing in the morning. We can't take it off until she falls asleep or she gets real mad. Emma has a severe to profound loss and Auditory Neuropathy but has had great success with her CI. We are working with Let them Hear Foundation to get a bi-lateral right now! Good luck..before you know it she'll be putting that magnet back on her head by herself!

Cool that is good to know. Ashley is very into her bouncy seat. She gets rowdy in that thing. It is hard to keep her glasses on sometimes. She is learning to get around too. She scoots and rolls right now but trying to stand up. Its only a matter of time before I will be chasing her around.

Auditory Neuropathy
Kids with this really do get a lot of benifit from CIs. And there are a significent number of kids for whom the CI is an AWESOME "absolutly no doubt they need it" thing.

Re: implants and active kids..........for the body worns, they do have harnesses. Also, they have these clips for hearing aids.....or are you guys talking about the magnet piece?

keeping implant on

Good Luck with ashleys surgery. My son had his first implant at 16 months. He has EVA which is a progressive hearing loss.was born with jsut a slight mild hearing loss and had hearing aides at 6 weeks he is 27 months old and has lost almost all of his hearing. He is a brand new child with the ci. My boy is so active its unbeleivable.NEVER STOPS! I clip his implant with critter clip/oto clip it comes with cute animals on it. he has the bte and does very well with it. if it falls of the magnet he puts it back on its really cute.the clip helps him from losing it . I also use tupe tape and tape it on. that works also.He cant figure out to put the processor back on he gives it to me and says "EAR MAMA".we are in teh process of getting him bilateral.insurance problems right now.hopefully soon.What a gift a implant is not a cure but a true gift.

Thank you. Good luck with getting your approval for bilateral. We have used the wig tape on her Ha's i hope it helps with the magnets as well.

Sounds alot like Lilly. SHe can/will put the coil back on, but she cannot get the processor (ear peice) back on. SHe brings it to me, holds it out with a sad look on her face. The other day, after putting it on, she looked at me with a big smile and said"thank you" and continued on her way to get a puzzle from the book shelf.

Back