I'm Travis. I do math.

travisdoesmath said:
if that's not clear, hit me up again

Actually, I was just being a smartass. :P I haven’t even finished calculus yet, much less taken linear algebra. Give it a couple of years and then maybe I’ll understand what you’re talking about. :mrgreen:

Levonian said:
Actually, I was just being a smartass. :P I haven’t even finished calculus yet, much less taken linear algebra. Give it a couple of years and then maybe I’ll understand what you’re talking about. :mrgreen:

:lol:

Well, you succeeded :D

Just for that, you have to prove that every finite Abelian group is the direct product of cyclic groups.
:devil:

No problem. :thumb: The Abelians are a fine and upstanding Armenian family, and we visit thm every time we’re in Fresno. If they claim to be the direct product of cyclic groups, then who am I to argue?

How’s that for mathematical proof? :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf travisdoesmath! When will you accomplish the feat of getting your degree? Speaking of numbers, you ever watch the TV drama series currently showing--that is: Numb3rs? If so, like it? ...and is there anything pertaining to the show that you can relate to besides figuring out a variety of equations? Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

Roadrunner said:
Hello and welcome to Alldeaf travisdoesmath! When will you accomplish the feat of getting your degree? Speaking of numbers, you ever watch the TV drama series currently showing--that is: Numb3rs? If so, like it? ...and is there anything pertaining to the show that you can relate to besides figuring out a variety of equations? Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

I should be finishing this time next year (hooWAH!)

I've seen maybe .. 2(?) episodes.. I liked it a lot, but I don't watch a lot of TV and I never know when anything is coming on (basically, if I watch TV I flip channels until I see Law & Order or CSI)

Levonian said:
No problem. :thumb: The Abelians are a fine and upstanding Armenian family, and we visit thm every time we’re in Fresno. If they claim to be the direct product of cyclic groups, then who am I to argue?

How’s that for mathematical proof? :mrgreen:

:rofl:

So—if you consider Einstein to be your homie, does that mean you actually understand his theories?

Levonian said:
So—if you consider Einstein to be your homie, does that mean you actually understand his theories?

"Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore." -Albert Einstein

:D

(and .. not really. but I understand a little bit.)

btw, "Einstein is my Homie" is from my website www.mathshirts.com </shameless plug>

30152340_F_tn.jpg

travisdoesmath said:
okay, you have some linear transformation on a vector space that basically changes all the vectors somehow (and follows certain rules that all linear transformations have to abide by). Eigenvectors are the vectors that stay in the same direction (although their length may change) when you apply that linear transformation

if that's not clear, hit me up again

Ow! Brain hurts! Too.... Many..... Large.... Words.... ! AH! *faints from the pain of thought*

Welcome Travis. :welcome:

G'day travisdoesmath,
Welcome to AD. I see you've garnered many welcomes. I hope you'll enjoy your stay amongst us. :)
Cheers! :wave:

welcome here and learn much from us. and you are expert math. i see interger modulo. will you explain it to me. i am james from wyo. i am good in math. in my schools, math is much fun than english in my life.

will you explain to me about Z3 (the integers modulo 3) 2 + 2 is 1

i want to tell you one trick math: can you find the solution trick number math? 2 + 8 * 1/2 enjoy your stay!

starrygaze said:
welcome here and learn much from us. and you are expert math. i see interger modulo. will you explain it to me. i am james from wyo. i am good in math. in my schools, math is much fun than english in my life.

will you explain to me about Z3 (the integers modulo 3) 2 + 2 is 1

i want to tell you one trick math: can you find the solution trick number math? 2 + 8 * 1/2 enjoy your stay!

Hi James :)

When you talk about the integers modulo 3 (or modulo any number) you're basically talking about the remainder left over if you divide by 3. so, there are three elements in the set, 0, 1, and 2. so 2 + 2 = 4 (normally), but if you divide 4 by 3, the remainder is 1, so 2 + 2 = 1

The best way to understand modulo is to think about when you use a clock (which is using the integers modulo 12) .. if I say it's 10:00am and in 7 hours I need to leave, I wouldn't say that I'm leaving at 17:00pm, I divide by 12 and take the remainder (5) and say I'm leaving at 5:00, make sense?

Welcome to AD!

Admittedly, my math skills are strictly of a hobbyist nature. I never really did like math all that much, but I do engage it in an ad hoc basis, mostly in my computer programming projects. My serious close encounters with math would be decoding Huffman compression algorithms as used in PKZIP/PKUNZIP software and the IDCT algorithms used in JPEG image format files. I feel I did okay with the Huffman stuff, but totally whiffed on the IDCT math mumbo-jumbo!

This reminds me of a funny anecdote; At Gally, there are two introductory-level Chemistry classes which can be used to satisfy the one-year Science requirement for graduation. After serious consultations with a student, I chose 'General Chemistry' as I thought it was a generic approach to learning Chemistry and not 'Introduction to Chemistry', which I thought was actually a math-intensive approach for students intending to major in Chemistry.

I goofed and as it turned out, the 'General Chemistry' class was the math-intensive one! I barely survived one year, whew! The lab sessions were a lot of fun, though!

travisdoesmath said:
..and I started learning ASL roughly a year ago. I live in Sacramento, CA and attend school at UC Davis, working towards my B.S. in Math.

Word.

Glad that u like Math but I DONT! YIKE ! ! numbers make me nuts.. Lol.. forgive me ! ! ;)

Back