I'm starting to hate deaf people....I am hard of hearing

I know thousands of Austin folks. I would say probably out of those thousands... maybe three or four are militant with Jerome Cain moronically leading the way. I have no idea what you are referring to.

I guess I would have to ask on what you mean by rude?

Oh yeah Jerome is damn proud of being Deaf. LOL i know his brother is more of mellow now. Of course he got a beautiful family.

Where you are, people are generally very friendly (at least in my experience) so that may be a part of it. :dunno: Austin is a very friendly town but their DHH has a reputation for being extremely rude.....very militant. The Dallas DHH group is about half and half and the divide is pretty noticeable at event. That group has crumbled though. The Houston and San Francisco groups I have been to we're very nice and welcoming. The Los Angeles group sucked.

The problem is bad groups tend to give everyone a bad name.

understandable but in most cases.... it's an individual, not the group.

I know thousands of Austin folks. I would say probably out of those thousands... maybe three or four are militant with Jerome Cain moronically leading the way. I have no idea what you are referring to.

Yeah, and I doubt very much he's a true Texan!

Where you are, people are generally very friendly (at least in my experience) so that may be a part of it. :dunno: Austin is a very friendly town but their DHH has a reputation for being extremely rude.....very militant. The Dallas DHH group is about half and half and the divide is pretty noticeable at event. That group has crumbled though. The Houston and San Francisco groups I have been to we're very nice and welcoming. The Los Angeles group sucked.

The problem is bad groups tend to give everyone a bad name.

You make a point about where I am. After all, they don't call us Minnesota Nice for nothing :)

That's interesting about Austin's DHH population. I hadn't heard that. I have friends there. Guess it is more about who you (general you) are, who you have as friends, etc.

Yeah, I feel like the Deaf as a whole are being ostracized and that's not right.

I am Deaf and I try to chat with everyone at Deaf socials but I cant have everyone as a friend since I don't have the time and may not have the same interests. Maybe you haven't clicked with anyone yet?

I met some new Deaf people yesterday in Frederick at a softball practice and none of them criticized me for growing up orally and mainstreamed. I told them upfront that I learned ASL at a later age and was mainstreamed and that it was my parents' choice, not mine. After that, we were all joking around and enjoying getting to know each other. However, I don't forsee myself being close to them. I feel that I have more than enough close friends and already one of them is upset with me for not having time to hang out with her.

It is hard to have too many close friends due to being so busy with my job, family, and other responsibilities so I just keep it small and simple. Yes, I know hundreds of Deaf people but only about a handful are considered my closest friends.

Oh yeah Jerome is damn proud of being Deaf. LOL i know his brother is more of mellow now. Of course he got a beautiful family.

Jerome is my wife's cousin. We know him too well and I don't like him much (and he knows this). Eh. Gerald we like VERY much! Haha! Small world but we knew that didn't we?

Jerome is my wife's cousin. We know him too well and I don't like him much (and he knows this). Eh. Gerald we like VERY much! Haha! Small world but we knew that didn't we?

haha i know what you mean. I didn't know Jerome is married. cool. ;) I know his brother's wife is my close friend, well childhood friend. :D

I am referring specifically to their Diversity Happy Hour group. Perhaps the the people there were from out of town just like I was. :lol:

Last edited:
Assuming one meets "deaf Militants" just ignore-why "waste one's time"-interacting? If the "local " group has been "taken over" by "them" leave and don't return.

Enough problems in life to handle without "them"-adding more!

If one has lots of time to study Sociology-read on "ethnocentrism".

You make a point about where I am. After all, they don't call us Minnesota Nice for nothing :)

That's interesting about Austin's DHH population. I hadn't heard that. I have friends there. Guess it is more about who you (general you) are, who you have as friends, etc.

Yeah, I feel like the Deaf as a whole are being ostracized and that's not right.

Oops, I need to clarify. By "DHH" I am referring to Deaf Happy Hour.....not the entire community. Austin leaves out "Professional" from their title. In fact DHH now stands for "Diverity Happy Hour" in Austin. They changed the name.

I have met a handful of very nice deaf folks in Austin.

One advantage of computers-non response.:wave:
Cheers

Last edited:
I am referring specifically to their DHH group. Perhaps the the people there were from out of town just like I was. :lol:

That's what I'm betting on it being. Actually, it makes a LOT of sense. Deaf Expo last weekend... holy shiitake mushrooms! Talk about overall rudeness screaming to the top. It really is something that I have noticed at those kind of events. Both out of towners and locals can be real grumpy when in a congested place. I can't tell you how many times someone told me... EXCUSE ME all annoyed and everything. I was like... well... excuse me for living but go pound sand. I'm moving as fast as I can and no I'm not letting you pass either. I want to see the next booth too. It honestly isn't any different from people at an airport waiting for their planes. Congestion tend to sour people's moods. It sure soured mine but that doesn't mean I was trying to be rude.

Oops, I need to clarify. By "DHH" I am referring to Deaf Happy Hour.....not the entire community. Austin leaves out "Professional" from their title. In fact DHH now stands for "Diverity Happy Hour" in Austin. They changed the name.

images

I don't think you've (you in general) met a nice Austinite until you've met Timothy Jaech.

Back