I'm so sick of my hearing aids

Jen,
What about a cochlear implant?
Leah

yeah, but Tousi, I wear my aid all the time.
Leah...Jen apparently gets a lot of use out of her hearing aids...besides in the UK and other countires with socialized health care it's WICKED hard to get a CI if your loss responds well to aids!

Leah said:
Jen,
What about a cochlear implant?
Leah

well... with my hearing changing at the rate it is a ci problerly wouldnt bnifit me at this time and as d/d said.. there a bugger to get hold of here.... im so sick of my hearing aids im just wearing them in the neck of my shirt all the time and relying on lip reading... only putting them in if i have to....

Jen: Oh can I emphasize with your frustration! I've had similar problems with digital aids. Grrr!! :( I've had digital aids for 4 years. They had to be repaired twice -- once for a damaged microphone and a second time for the amplifier. I've always used analogs prior to that and am continuing to use a pair of analog Oticon 380Ps that I've had for the past 15 years (NO repair problems). Perhaps you could ask your audi if you could try analog aids? I know I've had much better luck with them -- and when it comes to the heat and humidity like we are experiencing now here in the U.S., I don't have to constantly remove my HA (I have a CI in my other ear) because it keeps shutting on and off intermittantly. :( I hope you're able to find analog HAs that work better for you. I'm sure you'll have much better luck with them compared to digitals. Good luck! :)

deafscuba: I believe programmable HAs can be analog or digital. I'll see if I can find any information on the net about them...

Here is additional information about the various kinds of HAs including programmable...

http://www.hearusa.com

Hearing Aids
Today's hearing aids come in many different shapes and sizes. The quality of hearing aids has changed dramatically since the days of Alexander Graham Bell, who invented the telephone in an attempt to produce an amplifer for his hard-of-hearing mother. And, the size has become smaller since the days when the hearing aid was so large, the battery had to be strapped to the wearer's ankle. Today's hearing aids have achieved CD quality sound and the size of hearing aids are about the size of a contact lens - virtually undetectable.

Types of Hearing Aid Technology
There are five types of circuits that, in most cases, can be incorporated into any size hearing instrument. In general, programmable and digital technologies offer the most flexibility and more options to address user comfort and speech intelligibility.

Digital: A digital circuit is the most sophisticated circuit on the market today. This circuit is programmed through a computer and usually has at least two channels. Each channel in a digital circuit is controlled independently of the others, and controls a certain range of pitches coming into the hearing instrument. This circuit has fine tuning ability to match individual hearing requirements and filter out certain unwanted sounds. What sets this circuit apart from analog circuitry is that the sounds are processed digitally, which should result in a clearer signal. Another advantage of some digital circuits is that they analyze surrounding sounds to maximize soft speech-like sounds, while minimizing louder steady state noises, such as traffic or wind.

Programmable: A programmable circuit is much more sophisticated than the linear and basic compression circuits, and as its name implies, it is programmed through a computer. This allows the hearing aid to be set more precisely for the user’s comfort and sound quality. Programmable technology also allows for adjustments to hearing needs over time, as the instrument can often be re-programmed to meet a changing hearing condition. Programmable hearing aids can be either digital (see above) or analog.

Directional: Directional technology utilizes sophisticated microphones to determine which sounds are desirable, based on the direction from which they are coming. Usually hearing aids with directional capability can function in an omnidirectional mode (using just one microphone) -to allow sounds coming from all directions -or in the directional mode, which will attenuate sounds coming from the undesirable direction. The advantage of directional hearing aids is that unwanted sounds coming from a certain direction are reduced, ie; background noise coming from behind.

Compression: Compression addresses the need to provide a comfortable range of amplified hearing, particularly for loud sounds. In trying to make soft and average sounds loud enough to be heard, loud sounds may become uncomfortably harsh and loud. Compression technology limits the amount of amplification at certain levels, making the listening experience more comfortable for the hearing aid user.

Linear: A linear circuit makes EVERYTHING louder. This type of circuit is more limited it its ability to meet individual hearing needs. Because of its limited functionality, linear technology will meet the most basic hearing needs and be the least costly alternative.

Conventional Hearing Aids
Our entry level product line (conventional hearing instruments), will provide good, sound amplication at a reasonable price.

Basic Conventional Advanced
Conventional
Conventional technology
Fixed frequency response
Competitively priced
Advanced conventional technology
More clarity and less distortion
More listening comfort

Programmable Hearing Aids
Programmable hearing instruments represent a significant technological improvement over conventional products. If your hearing loss changes, programmable hearing instruments can be easily adjusted by your hearing healthcare professional to meet your needs.

Basic Programmable Mid-Range
Programmable Advanced
Programmable
Programmable flexibility for fine tuning
Single or multiple programs

Advanced technology
Very advanced technology

Digital Hearing Instruments
Digital hearing instruments represent the most advanced hearing aid technology. Using its computer processing power, digital hearing instruments are able to analyze sounds and automatically adjust for your personal needs.

Basic Digital Mid-Range
Digital Advanced
Digital
100% digital technology
Excellent clarity and listening comfort
Automatically adjusts
Compact Disc (CD) sound quality
Advanced 100% digital technology
Excellent clarity and listening comfort
Automatically adjusts
Most advanced 100% digital technology
Maximum clarity
Listening comfort maximized
Automatically adjusts
Maximum processing for best results

Deaf_Jen said:
yeah batteries dont last verry long with the digital hearing aids

I have a digital hearing aid, and my battery lasts quite a while. 2-3 weeks at the most. It depends on how often I use the FM system and such, but they last a long enough time for me. Basically the battery in my digital hearing lasts as long as it did in my old analog, so there's no difference.

cdmeggers said:
I have a digital hearing aid, and my battery lasts quite a while. 2-3 weeks at the most. It depends on how often I use the FM system and such, but they last a long enough time for me. Basically the battery in my digital hearing lasts as long as it did in my old analog, so there's no difference.
interestng... i think the heat is draining mine at the moment... if they work the batteries wont last more than a week

HA s

My hearing aids are those big and heavy ones, they hang behind both my ears all day long, up to 16 hours a day, they´ve very tight and deep because of the feedback, concha filled earmolds with thick walled tubes into it, :dizzy: they make my ears sore, but I wear them day after day so I´m able to hear and understand much. :wiggle:

Back