Im not used to being deaf.

Wasnt it the devil help ray walston to become a major league baseball player in the movie damned yankees? He played for the washigton senators to help them win the world series :deal: sign here give yer soul to me ill make you anything you want?
Read more
Here

I only hope a CI would give my hearing back to almost normal or just as good as my hearing aid did.
Nobody knows. Sudden deaf, late deaf and progressive loss people tend to have done the best with a CI, but even in that population results vary. Yes, there are a lot of those people who are functionally hoh with CI, but there are also people in that population for whom the CI has simply increased word comprehension or helped with speechreading or whatever.
Hey free, Youre missing out the beauty of life (SOUND)
Oh I don't know...I think sound and hearing is kinda overrated. I love sound and I love being able to hear too....but at the same time I am happy to be hoh. I mean I can totally and completely understand what you're coming from thou. I think in the past a lot of hoh(and oral deaf) kids were taught that they belonged to the hearing world and didn't need the stuff that the deaf world offers.
the way i look at it -- id rather stay deaf -- there ARE so many various things we can live with -- CC, TTY, theres also EMAILS, pagers and etc etc
Agreed.....there are ways to adapt and to get around deafness.

Man, I lost abt 60% hearing at late-deafened and thought I was kind of screwed, but is how you look at it. You have to positive and not concentrate on what you can't do. Deaf people can do anything except hear, and hearing is not everything in world - you don't need hearing to see beauty in sunsets or smell roses... or communicate. Don't feel so bad abt it all.

I am so proud being deaf. We can do anything no matter if we are deaf. My husband is a hearing but We respect each other so much. He and I cannot change to be deaf or hearing for ourselves. Our love are so strong and come first!!

TheSpirit said:
Man, I lost abt 60% hearing at late-deafened and thought I was kind of screwed, but is how you look at it. You have to positive and not concentrate on what you can't do. Deaf people can do anything except hear, and hearing is not everything in world - you don't need hearing to see beauty in sunsets or smell roses... or communicate. Don't feel so bad abt it all.
Hey you can still hear again get a widex
Widex hearing aid the best power aid ever!!

Funny thing.. I have hang around alot of hearing people all my life. Many and many of them tell me how lucky I am deaf. Because I don't have to hear the terrible sound. Like traffic, car honk middle of the night.. Or neighbor shouted for whatever reason.. There many things you might not realizes that you don't like to hear. Consider that a blessing quiet.

As for police officers.. One night. It was already dark that night. I was come home from a store to gets something to eat. As I walk toward home. I saw two officer with a dog. Whatever that mean. I keep walk. One of them tried talk to me. I barely see that far. One of them figures that I can't hear. He actually started use hand signal. I was surprised. I stop until he come to me. Still talk to me. I shook my head. He finally used sign language to ask me if I am deaf. I answer yes. He ask me to stay still for while. That's what he tried tell me the whole time. I did what he said until the dog walk past me. He said I can go. So, I went straight to home..

I keep notice all around.. More and more hearing people are willing to learn sign language.. Because they wants to able to communiation with us deaf. Yes, there still needs alot to improve around. Though alot better than in my childhood time.

wolfleopard

I had full hearing for my first 18 years, went HOH for 3 years and then deafness. I've been deaf since I was 21 and since my deafness was caused by a brain tumor on the auditory nerves, it's indoubtedly permanent. Also because of this, the CI isn't an option.
So in that regard, I can understand everything your saying, I've experienced life in a hearing world with full sound. I can't hear sound now and deafness does suck in that situation; there's no going back so, why fight it? You've got to play the cards your dealt.
Tonight I met a Deaf-Blind individual (my biggest fear. going blind now), this person communicates by feeling the signs and biggest stun for me of all. Works, and not just in some menial job counting potato chips or something. That really showed me that you can overcome most anything if you want to.
I don't lipread well nor do I sign that well, but I still communicate fine, email, IM, Fax, the TTY, plain old writing when I have to. Your job as a Movie Theater Usher is probably out, but just because your deaf doesn't mean you'll never have a "good job" or even be wealthy.
Self pity is fine for a rant, but don't stay in that hole; it's time to suck it up and find out what you can do, not focus on what you can't.

PS: Around here, Regal Cinemas is one of the biggest/only chains that provides Open Captioned Films

PeteEMT said:
Tonight I met a Deaf-Blind individual (my biggest fear. going blind now), this person communicates by feeling the signs and biggest stun for me of all. Works, and not just in some menial job counting potato chips or something. That really showed me that you can overcome most anything if you want to.

It’s funny how you think you’ve got it bad, until you meet somebody who has it even worse and puts it all into perspective for you. I’m only deaf in my right ear. I have normal hearing in my left. My biggest fear is that when I get older I will lose my ability to understand speech, because as my hearing degrades in old age I won’t have another ear to help compensate. But I’ve had a lot of people tell me that I am damned lucky to have one ear—and they’re right. It’s all a matter of perspective.

Back