I'm not sooo happy with hearing people on phone!!

Taurus

Reaction score
It isn't easy for me to find local farm that sell specific hay that I'm looking for.

(Timothy hay and Orchard grass hay for my rabbit and guinea pigs)

I searched cragslist near my area. I found a guy that sell these kind of hays for only 4 dollar per bale. (bale is 50 pounds)

I called him. The interpeter explained the relay. All he can say is, "Sorry, I'm not interested, bye" then he hang up. I called again. He yelled at me for calling him. He hunged up without letting me have a chance to say something to him! :squint: I called again. He hang up. :mad: I called again. He hanged up. I told the interpeter don't explain relay then we called again. He said yes we have the hay that you are looking for. We talked for awhile about making appt. to meet each other.

OH GOD! WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE LIKE HIM! I'm getting tired of this similar situation everytime I called. I used to call pet stores about buying stuff but they hanged up on me. how rude!!!

* sighs *

To them, it is not rude. The nature of relays is that they are associated with telemarketing and call centres. Even I hang up when I hear a relay call on my cellphone although I just cut them off by saying "sorry, I am deaf-- please leave an e-mail or text message instead of calling me," to make sure that TTY users are not left out.

If it's not a relay call, then I will chat for a bit, but only if it is a voice that I know and is familiar with ie. my family.

I don't care if it isn't rude to them.

They cannot assume that deaf ppl cannot use the phone or assume that we are dumb enough to figure out how to use the phone.

well guess what? they are dumb already! hahaha!

I don't care if it isn't rude to them.

They cannot assume that deaf ppl cannot use the phone or assume that we are dumb enough to figure out how to use the phone.

well guess what? they are dumb already! hahaha!

Thing is... people DON'T KNOW they are getting a TTY or VRS call! All they hear is "relay" and they assume that is some guy in India that is trying to sell them some of kind miracle health juice.

Last edited:
LOL@ Souggy. It's my worst nightmare to have to talk to someone on the phone who has an Indian accent.

Then deaf relay or whatever companies called it need to change their way to introduce themselves while we are using the phone. DON'T MENTION about relay or so.

Your frustration is warranted and you are entitled to that. It just that he just didn't know. I was just explaining why these things happen, so the blame wouldn't be misplaced.

And I agree, they really do need to change how they introduce themselves or at least how they conduct themselves.

Sorry to hear that, Taurus. I went thru in the past. I agree with Soggy on this. Next time, when you call them but you can warn the operator to tell them that you and opr. are not telemarketing. So, the opr. can explain it to them for you. It will work. It works for me everytime I call for an appointment or whatever. Trust me! ;)

You re not alone!! Simple tell the interpreter don't explain the relay after an interpreter asking for hay.. He says yes then tells him that customer is deaf and want to hay!!

Good luck :)

LOL@ Souggy. It's my worst nightmare to have to talk to someone on the phone who has an Indian accent.

I have a have a hard time talking to person the phone with any accent! A person from another state is hard for me!

It isn't easy for me to find local farm that sell specific hay that I'm looking for.

(Timothy hay and Orchard grass hay for my rabbit and guinea pigs)

I searched cragslist near my area. I found a guy that sell these kind of hays for only 4 dollar per bale. (bale is 50 pounds)

I called him. The interpeter explained the relay. All he can say is, "Sorry, I'm not interested, bye" then he hang up. I called again. He yelled at me for calling him. He hunged up without letting me have a chance to say something to him! :squint: I called again. He hang up. :mad: I called again. He hanged up. I told the interpeter don't explain relay then we called again. He said yes we have the hay that you are looking for. We talked for awhile about making appt. to meet each other.

OH GOD! WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE LIKE HIM! I'm getting tired of this similar situation everytime I called. I used to call pet stores about buying stuff but they hanged up on me. how rude!!!
Could you send emails to the guy when you need to buy more hay?
That way you will not worried about getting the phone hanged up on you any more!

I think they need to send out more awareness about Relay calls. Many people do not even know what it is. So they assume that it is a telemarketing call. :(

They do need to start letting the public know what the relay service is. I have had it happen to me several times as well. It sucks! But how can you blame them when they are so ignorant and automatically assume it is a telemarketing call or a solicitor.

I feel that awareness needs to be there more.

Right! They think it's a telemarketing call and that a relay operator is a telemarketer. There are some people out there that are familiar with relay, and there are some who are not. I know how extremely frustrating it is to be hung up repeatedly. I've been there. You have two options: call again, or go up to their store and speak to them in person. I've done it, believe me I wasn't in my best mood. lol

Over the years, I've had many problems with Relay calls myself.....I dunno the greetings the Relay makes to announce the call....but it's my guess....it's very long! Why can't they keep the announcement to a minimum? And stop asking people if they have heard of Relay calls before?

My VP needs repair, so I'm back to using my TTD. ....And some of my friends have told me....."the Relay operator "stuttered" and had a hard time understanding the operator....another friend said "the relay operator had a heavy accent, I couldn't understand him".....

I do agree, hearing people need to be made MORE AWARE of TDD calls....

I've lost my own temper countless of times when trying to make a TDD/VP call.

Back