I'm no good at these titles.

Holmes

Reaction score
Hi AllDeaf.com!

I thought I'd post one of these because I'm new, and really looking forward to getting to know some people here. A little about me: I am a college student, born hearing, but over the past couple of months my hearing has been declining and there's a good chance that it will be gone entirely after a while. I have just started to try and learn ASL and I hope to become fluent, since it seems like that is the smart thing to do! There isn't a big Deaf community where I live, so I hope that I can make some great friends here.

Right now, I'm studying English and World History, because I'd like to be a professor some day. I love hiking, reading, writing, and movies. I have lots of crazy, random hobbies. Anyway, I guess that's all for now and in advance, it's nice to meet you!

Welcome to the madhouse. I think you realize you need courage and thick skin to be a regular poster, and I hope you will join this dysfunctional family. :wave:

Thanks Beowulf. I've been looking around and it does seem a little like a mad-house. Perfect! Looking forward to being a part of it.

My best advice......transfer to NTID, so you can become fluent in ASL and experiance a real deaf community!!!!!

Heyy :) nice to meet you too! How are you?
And when you said you'd become deaf for a while, just curious but how do you know it's a temporary thing? :S lol

Hi shel and Sunshine! Thanks for the welcome. :wave: Deafdyke, thanks for the advice. Transferring there might be a great option soon, I guess I will have to see what the next couple semesters bring.

Krissy, I'm great! How about you? And what I meant to say was that I have started to lose my hearing, moderate in one ear and mild in the other (the last time I went to the ENT,) but that my hearing keeps getting worse and I will probably be profoundly deaf at some point. So right now I can hear some things, but I'm not sure how long that will last, which is why I want to start preparing for my new lifestyle, if and when it comes.

Hello nice to meet to you alldeaf welcome forum!

Krissy, I'm great! How about you? And what I meant to say was that I have started to lose my hearing, moderate in one ear and mild in the other (the last time I went to the ENT,) but that my hearing keeps getting worse and I will probably be profoundly deaf at some point. So right now I can hear some things, but I'm not sure how long that will last, which is why I want to start preparing for my new lifestyle, if and when it comes.
Good to hear :) I'm not too bad thanks, think I might have a cold or something though lol :shock:
Aaaaaaaah right, I thought you meant you'll probably go completely deaf for a while, then get your hearing back, so I was confused lol
I'm sorry to hear your deafness is progressing

Hello nice to meet to you alldeaf welcome forum!

Hi, it's nice to meet you too!

welcome 2 AD

Thanks a lot. :wave:

Good to hear I'm not too bad thanks, think I might have a cold or something though lol
Aaaaaaaah right, I thought you meant you'll probably go completely deaf for a while, then get your hearing back, so I was confused lol
I'm sorry to hear your deafness is progressing

Aw, man. How's the cold feeling today? Any better? That kind of thing is going around where I am, mostly because of the weather I think.

And sorry for being confusing, lol. As for that, I am not really sorry, I don't think. I am not worried about being deaf myself, because I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I will still be me. The only thing that I am sort of anxious about is how other people will act, but I can't control that! The other thing is, I'm worried about being able to learn ASL. But I think I'll be okay with practice.

Hi, it's nice to meet you too!

The only thing that I am sort of anxious about is how other people will act, but I can't control that! The other thing is, I'm worried about being able to learn ASL. But I think I'll be okay with practice.
Well that's why you should transfer to NTID. ....you could become fluent in ASL that way...About 20% of new students at NTID start out knowing no sign....and the accomodnations are TOP NOTCH!

Well that's why you should transfer to NTID. ....you could become fluent in ASL that way...About 20% of new students at NTID start out knowing no sign....and the accomodnations are TOP NOTCH!

Definitely sounds like a plus! I'm sure that once I qualify, I'll apply. I was looking around the website, and it definitely looks like a really cool place.

Aw, man. How's the cold feeling today? Any better? That kind of thing is going around where I am, mostly because of the weather I think.

And sorry for being confusing, lol. As for that, I am not really sorry, I don't think. I am not worried about being deaf myself, because I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I will still be me. The only thing that I am sort of anxious about is how other people will act, but I can't control that! The other thing is, I'm worried about being able to learn ASL. But I think I'll be okay with practice.

I'm still a bit stuffy :P but I think I've pulled a muscle in my leg or something so atleast I'm not focussing on the cold LOL!
Yeah I know, winter gets way too cold, then again I prefer winter to summer lol

There's nothing wrong with being deaf, although it's not exactly a nice thing to happen lol, I understand your concerns, and you will learn ASL fluently after a while if you really want to and with practise :)
Looking at it this way, people generally react to everything, sometimes they don't judge but they're curious, even if you're wearing a fancy hat to the shops people will look, and make assumptions etc lol

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back