I'm Jennifer, and I want to hear from you

Jennifer_S_H

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Jennifer, and I am a student in psychology at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. I am currently doing a paper on cochlear implants. I have found learning about these devices in my class on deafness very interesting. However, I really feel that in order to understand an issue, you have to talk to people who have experienced it first hand. I have no first hand experience with this subject, so I thought that I might try to meet some people who have.
This has brought me here, where I am hoping to get to know some people who either have received a cochlear implant, have had a child or friend who has received one, who chose not to get one or who chose not to get one from your child. I would love to hear your story, and how you feel about cochlear implants, deafness, and anything related that you feel is important.
You can reply to this post, or talk to me privately, whichever you prefer.
I can also be emailed (mermaidjenny@hotmail.com)
Thank you very much, and I look forward to talking to you!
Jennifer

Hmm... I've got few deaf friends who has CI. As I recall, it gives them some trouble when they go through metal dectior (spelling?) it would bother them. One is getting CI back and the other hates it and wears hearing aid from time to time. I've never gotten CI myself, but I almost had gotten it when I was a baby when my parents first found out I was deaf, but CI was brand new at the time and the chance for my survival was 50-50. My parents didn't want to risk losing their first child, so they left me as I am today. I am profound deaf and proud of it! If I was given the chance to get CI today... I refuse to take it because I've been deaf since birth and I am very used to silence world and I like it. When I hear little something... I go crazy because I don't like the tickle of it. I like it all quite heh. Hmm, I hope that this would help you some :) You can ask more questions later on... pm me or whatever. Good luck! :)

First of all, welcome to the AD community! Hope you will enjoy yourself around here.

Secondly, I have a strong dislike toward cochlear implants. If I born deaf then there must be some kind of reason(s) for me to be a deaf. That's my belief but it would be a lie if I never say that I wish I born hearing instead of deaf. I don't mind to be a deaf as long as they give us equal rights...

So I may not best person to explain about cochlear implants. What exactly do you want to know about deafness?

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here girl!

Back