I'm interested in your disability

Ina

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Christina and I'm from germany. So my english isn't so good. :P
But I hope, You can understand everything I write. Our Toppic in our english book is "deaf people" and now I have some questions:

1.) what's you're most important device to comunicate???
2.) what do you do if somebody who don't know, that you're deaf ask you something???
3.) how can you hear your wake-up alarm???
4.) how do you know, when your doorbell rings???
5.) when did you get your disability???
6.) was it hard for you???
7.) if you have your disability since you're little, how did you learn to speak???

I would be very happy, if I got some answers!!! :mrgreen:

mb ina

Hi Christina,

Er...a helpful hint is in order. Please note that some of the deaf find the word "disability" highly offensive. Personally, it is not to me but it is to others. You might have a better response if your title was something like "I'm interested in the deaf world" or some variation like it.

To answer your questions...

1) A CI (cochlear implant).
2) They can ask away as I can hear them fine.
3) I use a flashing light alarm as I don't sleep with my CI on.
4) I hear it. Sometimes I don't if it is very noisy or I'm in a different part of the house. I have a wife and two kids that will let me know!
5) Again, be careful of the word "disability" and use deaf instead. I was born with it and it was believed that I had Rubella in my mother's womb (aka German Measles - no offense to you Germans) :D
6) Oh yes! It was not easy but I preservered.
7) Being in the hearing world all the time (I had a HA [hearing aid] since 4) and lots of speech therapy.

Hope this helps...

I'm not total deaf.. but I'm hard of hearing .. This means that I cannot hear many of sounds that hearing people can.. and I live in both of hearing and deaf world.. so I'm answering your questions :)

1.) My hearing aid

2.) I'm hard of hearing,that is to say I would ask him/her to repeat what he/she said :)

3.) I can hear high sounds or I can use flashing light but I never needed anything.. I can easily wake up .. When I fail my mother could wake up me :)

4.) I can hear the doorbell rigns .. If not, other family member can answer the door ..(the other members are hearing except my dad who is hard of hearing like me )

5.) Probably my loss started when I was a child .. I can't know the exact age.. My loss has been significant since age 11, I daresay.

6.) It was (and still is ) very hard ..I'm neither total deaf nor hearing..The world expects me to act like a hearing person but I can't.. I have my own limits..Sometimes I feel as if I were trapped between two different places.. But I like both of the worlds I live in.. hearing and deaf worlds..

7.) My loss wasn't high when I learned speaking or speech .. I was grown up just like a hearing child but my loss showed itself when I was around 11...

I used to wear hearing aids, but not anymore.

2.) what do you do if somebody who don't know, that you're deaf ask you something???

If I couldn't read their lips, I would inform them that I'm deaf but I can read lips if spoken clear enough.

I got a vibrator clock alarm that goes under my pillow.

I don't have a door bell ringer, I can hear if someone knocks on my door, but harder so I can hear, I cannot hear light knocking.

My family aren't sure if I was born with some difficulty during the time my mother was in labor for days, because they didn't recovered that I was losing my hearing at the age of 5, I lost my hearing slowly during the years when I was growing up.

Only hardest part of growing up is when people don't accept you for who you are, wouldn't even go their length to understand deaf people.

7.) if you have your disability since you're little, how did you learn to speak???

I learned to speak when I was younger as I was told by my Dad, and plus speech therapy too. ;)

Ina said:
Hi,
But I hope, You can understand everything I write. Our Toppic in our english book is "deaf people" and now I have some questions:

mb ina

• 1. I don't need device. I use British Sign Language to communicate.
  • 2. Write a paper if I don't understand
  • 3. I don't need it so sunlight will wake me up.
  • 4. I don't know.
  • 5. Since born
  • 6. I don't mind
  • 7. through the mainstream school

Ina said:

1. My hearing aid
2. I would stop them and say I'm deaf and you'll have to talk slower and if I don't understand then I'll get the person to write it down
3. I have a vibrator in between the matress and box springs and uses a flasher as well.
4. Right now, I don't have it hooked up and won't know if someone is at the door unless my dog is in the house with me. I have a wireless doorbell device where if someone pushes the doorbell, my lights will flash to let me know someone is at the door.
5. Unknown cause, born that way
6. During my childhood, yes it was hard dealing with school, people, other kids and my family (all about communications) Now, that I'm an adult, its no problem for me anymore.
7. I wore hearing aids when I was 9 months old, started speech therapy at age 1. My speech isn't as good as hearing people but I can speak.

The way we help Ina is also a way to get to know and meet ourselves. There I go:

My hearing aid

I reply "WHAT?!" until they get tired or I hear what they have to say. If I get tired first I start smiling like a fool

I don't. I always wake up late :D

If I am wearing the hearing aid, I hear it. If not, I hope nobody comes to visit or I am afraid they'll have to stand at the door!!

When I was 4, I had appendicitis and it seems the surgeon went mad when giving me the drug.

There are lots of things than can be resumed in this: A world made by and for hearings, hearing customs. And communication with hearing ones, that's really hard. They always expect you to hear. Noisy ambients, I hate them because there my hearing aid makes a mess of sounds. And every public place is likely a noisy ambient: street, discos, bars, restaurants, transports, etc.

Thanks to the hearing aid. At first I heard more than now. I didn't became deaf at once.

Oh dear. Question 6, I understood the following: 'What is hard for you?'

:bump:

So now I give the right reply: Yes, it was hard. Many times I wished not to be different. School and high school were very hard times, with mates laughing at me or non understanding the teachers at all. I always had to seat in the front row and was a loner.

karlmunch said:
Oh dear. Question 6, I understood the following: 'What is hard for you?'

:bump:

So now I give the right reply: Yes, it was hard. Many times I wished not to be different. School and high school were very hard times, with mates laughing at me or non understanding the teachers at all. I always had to seat in the front row and was a loner.

Same here,buddy :hug:
I went through that hard situations very smilar to yours :ugh:

sorry for being off topic

My answer:

1) Don't use device any kinds.. My communcation is ASL (American Sign Languages)

2) If person doesn't understand me, I'll use paper and pen to have communcation without misunderstanding.

3) Flash Alarm Clock (light on) Doesn't buy from Deaf Agency.. I use buy regluar store as Wal mart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, and other condiser "Timer Clock"... itself light on. That what I'm using.. Save lot of money bargin than Deaf Agency's price rip off.

4) *banging the door* or my pet will bark loud and running backforth that is my pet's signal.

5)Just birth natural , that how I'm Deaf.

6) Not even bother at all... Accept both worlds. :\

7) I was first mainstream school until when I was turned 9 yrs old and transfered to Deaf School. When I was in mainstream and teacher taught me to speak voice and oral speech therphy.. to improve my speak. Transfered Deaf School, there's no need speech therphy because made me feel better.. reason why no pressure on me.

Er...a helpful hint is in order. Please note that some of the deaf find the word "disability" highly offensive. Personally, it is not to me but it is to others. You might have a better response if your title was something like "I'm interested in the deaf world" or some variation like it.
This person is quite right, it is offensive to us because we do not think we are disabled to do things. Ok now with your questions:

I dont use any device, I use ASL (American Signing Language)
I just tell them with my hands, like pointing to my ears and shake my head, then smile like a fool
I use bedshaker.
I am pretty young, so my parents answer them :D
since birth
no, but I hate how I had to sit in the front and when my hearing friends talked and laughed when i dont understand what they are saying.
I DO NOT speak with my voice, i use ASL, and do not use the term "disability"

Ina said:
1.) What's your most important device to comunicate?
2.) What do you do if somebody who don't know that you're deaf ask you something?
3.) How can you hear your wake-up alarm?
4.) How do you know when your doorbell rings?
5.) When did you get your disability?
6.) Was it hard for you?
7.) If you have your disability since you were little, how did you learn to speak?

Christina,

1. I speak clearly, although I've had some speech therapy earlier this semester. I also wear two bte hearing aids (bte stands for behind-the-ear).
2. Let them ask me. If it is a crowded situation, I gesture with my hand up to my ear and motion that I don't hear. If I don't hear them, I reply, "I'm sorry." It doesn't mean, Christina, that I actually am sorry, it means that they need to repeat what they said. If they're rude about it, I refuse to answer.
3. Snickers is my hearing dog and is supposed to wake me, although I have my alarm clock sitting on the desk in a way that I can somewhat hear it.
4. It doesn't. Snickers barks and runs to me, then charges at the door.
5. It was finally diagnosed when I was eleven years old. Prior to that, the doctors dropped the ball in diagnosing, but they sure got paid for doing shoddy work. I wouldn't have paid the bills from them. :nono:
6. Yeah. Incompetent doctors who think they know it all.
7. I've always had clear speech, as clear as it is, although I am trying to clear it up even more.

Best wishes, Christina, on your report! Have a great Easter!! He Arose!! :applause:

Pete

Ina said:

1. ASL (American Sign Language) but I also have the CI (cochlear implant). I use a sign language interpreter for meetings at work or to doctor's visits.
2. I tell the person I am deaf, and I hear some withthe CI, please speak clearly so I can try to lipread. If I can't lipread or hear them, I ask them please write.
3. I have an alarm clock attached to a light that flashes at wake-up time, or sometimes my dog will slobber all over and lick my arm. :roll:
4. My two dogs go bonkers and bark and run at the door. They're not trained "hearing" dogs but they realize that I'm deaf and "help". Or, my husband (hearing) will answer the door. If no dogs or husband at home, and my CI is off, too bad! :whistle:
5. I became deaf at age 7 from Meningitis
6. No because I was too young to understand what happened to me and did not care. Thought it would be fun to learn ASL and meet other deaf people so I did. Some meanie hearing kids did like to make fun of me sometimes though! Also annoying to be looked down upon by certain ignorant hearies. :mad:
7. I was hearing until age 7 and so remembered how to talk even after I became deaf. Had speech therapy in my Deaf school.

Ina said:
Hi,

mb ina
Hearing aids
Understand them clearly
My mother wakes me up, no flashing light...
alarm doorbell/knock loud, got a german shapard dog... ( barking)
Born with it
50-50%
Speech Therapy

Yes, it would be nice if you rephrased your "interest" without that offensive d-word, and it would also help if you didn't SSCCCRREEAAAMMM YOURRR ??????? QUESSSTIOOONSS ???? !

*sigh*
*thank you*

Back